The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-17-2018, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Default “Easy G#m” ?

Anyone care to comment if way this person plays G#m starting :30 seconds in the video is correct in theory? Couple comments people made on the video seems to have problems with way he plays it. Regardless will it pass for G#m?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=29WcL6ltWMM

Thanks

Last edited by SKYHIGH; 09-17-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Pretty common approach, essentially leaving the first two strings open; I use it a lot. You can hear it on several of David Gates' hits from the seventies; I think it's pretty prominent in I'd Like to Make it With You.

BTW, If you're interested in the names of the resulting chords (with the inclusion of the open strings), take a look at this site. Some interesting results appear. https://jguitar.com/chordname

Last edited by Nymuso; 09-17-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Pretty common approach, essentially leaving the first two strings open; I use it a lot. You can hear it on several of David Gates' hits from the seventies; I think it's pretty prominent in I'd Like to Make it With You.

BTW, If you're interested in the names of the resulting chords (with the inclusion of the open strings), take a look at this site. Some interesting results appear. https://jguitar.com/chordname
Interesting how that site doesn't consider it a G# at all with the D# in the bass. Wouldn't it also be a first inversion of a G#m add6? Though I've not much of a head for theory... I always thought of this as one of the "Melissa" chords.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Emaj7th chord

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-17-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Emaj7th chord
Yep.
Notes of Emaj7th chord are the 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th of the E major scale.
E major scale is E F# G# A B C# D# E
Emaj7th chord is E G# B D#
The notes played with that shape are E D# G# B B E
Emaj7th
Old 09-17-2018, 02:55 PM

G#m/E, sure. Plain ol' G#m, no.

Couch Standards
Old 09-17-2018, 03:14 PM

I would add that you can play that chord shape as an inside chord (don't play the first string and sixth string, play four inside strings with B string open) and it is a G# min with the root on the fourth string.

And the three fretted strings in that shape make a minor triad that can be moved up and down the fret board (root on fourth string).
Old 09-17-2018, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

2 to 5 strings could be called G#m/Eb. For a movable chord I would most likely be using the Em chord shape, so for G#m 4-6-6-4-4-4

Old 09-17-2018, 05:09 PM

Depending on the song, it works for a G#m.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
Anyone care to comment if way this person plays G#m starting :30 seconds in the video is correct in theory?
It's not correct in theory or under any other heading. YouTube is full of great players along with a great number of idiots like this guy.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Well, regardless of the "theory" involved, you can definitely use that shape as a G#-7; as many have noted, it is actually an E maj7, but when heard "in context" with a progression using diatonic chords in the key of E, it will work...

Check out this version: (low to high strings - I can never remember which is 1 or 6!)

4 - x - 4 - 4 - o - o
(G#) (x) (F#) (B) (B) (E)

Gives a nice "open tuning" sound - works very nicely at the second fret for an F#7 of sorts... can be "moved around" and employed at other positions on the fretboard.

The "true" name of the chord is a bit involved, but trust your ears; if you like it, use it! You can always figure out "what chord is this?" at a later date!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-17-2018, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Well, regardless of the "theory" involved, you can definitely use that shape as a G#-7; as many have noted, it is actually an E maj7, but when heard "in context" with a progression using diatonic chords in the key of E, it will work...

Check out this version: (low to high strings - I can never remember which is 1 or 6!)

4 - x - 4 - 4 - o - o
(G#) (x) (F#) (B) (B) (E)

Gives a nice "open tuning" sound - works very nicely at the second fret for an F#7 of sorts... can be "moved around" and employed at other positions on the fretboard.

The "true" name of the chord is a bit involved, but trust your ears; if you like it, use it! You can always figure out "what chord is this?" at a later date!
"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet".

Old 09-17-2018, 08:26 PM

I'd been assuming the guy was skipping the low E, which would give it less of an Emaj7 flavor, but not only is it a serviceable (depending on context) G#m variant, that chord shape (as well as the major form) is pretty much ideal for looping your thumb over to the bass note, if desired.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
Anyone care to comment if way this person plays G#m starting :30 seconds in the video is correct in theory? Couple comments people made on the video seems to have problems with way he plays it. Regardless will it pass for G#m?
Nope. It's Emaj7, no contest. Calling it G#m is ignoring the E's - he's playing both 6th and 1st strings open. (The B string just doubles the 4th fret on 3rd string.)

Even if he was muting the low E, it would still be technically Emaj7 ("3rd inversion"), although you could just about make a case for "G#m(b6)".

The dumb thing is, it's easy to play a pure G#m like that and mute both E strings. Or fret the 6th with the thumb on 4th fret. I.e., you don't need the barre, but you do need to mute the E strings.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Nope. It's Emaj7, no contest. Calling it G#m is ignoring the E's - he's playing both 6th and 1st strings open. (The B string just doubles the 4th fret on 3rd string.)

Even if he was muting the low E, it would still be technically Emaj7 ("3rd inversion"), although you could just about make a case for "G#m(b6)".

The dumb thing is, it's easy to play a pure G#m like that and mute both E strings. Or fret the 6th with the thumb on 4th fret. I.e., you don't need the barre, but you do need to mute the E strings.
Exactly. Perfectly stated. Thank you.
And when I referred to the three fretted strings in that shape as a moveable minor triad with root on the fourth string I was not suggesting to commonly use that as a moveable "chord" shape; just a useable minor "triad" when wanted.

Last edited by 12barBill; 09-18-2018 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Add the word minor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write