The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-09-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
As usual, Bob's provided a very accessible explanation that not only confirms my concern/theory, but also explains how Gibson's managed to avoid the downside of splitting the HB coils. While I appreciate what they've managed to do to enhance versatility, I don't like a circuit board or too many switches in anything, as I'm concerned about the repairs/failures, and the ability to deviate/modify later on.

Until now, with Gibson, I'm not aware that any upper-tier manufacturer has adopted coil splitting - the tendency in that range is to provide high quality HBs and make the user get a separate single coil guitar. Lower-tier makers wanting to spend less on pickups, while also wanting to appeal to those looking to own only 1 guitar, I think, are more willing to compromise on both the unsplit (lower cost), and split, tones from lower cost HBs to get that share of the market.

As for your preference for the 335, I concur, but I prefer the smaller more les paul-like lower bout size of the 339 (semi) and 390 (hollow) for the seated playing I do, so check those out if size is an issue (390 is discontinued).
Somehow, I missed Bob's first post with that explanation, and only saw the 2nd one. I'm still a bit hazy on the physical mechanics ("tone network"?).. but glad they figured put a solution. To me, it's not a huge* deal that its there.. but I would still prefer it not be there, especially re: the switches and circuit boards. But, it's all good. (Also like that reply! ) I'm glad, at any rate, that Gibson appears to have "gotten the message" and hopefully they'll be good to continue making great guitars down the road.

My main concern for them would be to stick to basics, at least on their core models, and Just as important (or possibly more).. I think their QC and finishing/final inspection has to be flawless. I don't think its fair or 100% deserved, but their reputation for spotty QC and issues has become way overblown, so I think they will really suffer more than they should every time someone sees a blemish they're going to be like "ohhhx yeah, welp.. look who it is, its Gibson. Inexcusable at that price, but that's Gibson for you."

By the same token, if it were a Taylor, they say "just a total fluke because they are great about that" .. I dont think the same issue would hurt them as much. But they can turn it around, I know they can. I'll continue to support them as long as they make guitars that inspire me, and at this point in my life, I haven't found any that do that more. (Not that I can afford, anyway)

Anyway, thanks everyone. And thanks Chris for the recommendation on the 339 and 390.. I've thought about that issue with size, but will have to try them in person. I play mostly seated, but at the same time, my PRS (my only electric) feels way too small.. I guess I'm just used to my dreads.. I think I would bond well with the 335 size for that reason, but the 339 (and now 390) is definitely on my radar. I'm always on the lookout on Reverb and here.

Thanks again
Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 09-09-2018, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

I think the passionate guy in the video could have made his points in 30 seconds, instead of 6 minutes. Sounds like Gibson is setting a new standard. Maybe it's to market an enhanced product and motivate buyers to get something with more advanced technology.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 09-09-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
SC, I'll be honest and say that prior to falling in love with this particular guitar I didn't like at all the changes to the Standard that I was reading about, including using chrome plating. It surely left me in a bind and having to reconsider my own biases. My main consideration now is whether to re-fret with jumbo frets to match most of my other Gibsons.

Bob
Are they medium jumbos frets on the Standard? Do most Gibsons have jumbo frets?
Old 09-10-2018, 11:31 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Are they medium jumbos frets on the Standard? Do most Gibsons have jumbo frets?
They list the 2018 as having 22 cryogenically-treated medium frets. They list the 2019 as having 22 cryogenically-treated "low" frets. My 2005 ES-335 and my 2017 Limited Edition '61 SG Standard have jumbo frets. My 2011 Les Paul Studio '60s Tribute had jumbos.

Gibson is switching things up.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars