The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-29-2018, 04:58 PM

My style of banjo playing is clawhammer and I wouldn't classify it as bluegrass, even loosely. You will seldom see a clawhammer player in a bluegrass band unless it's thrown in for a novelty tune. I did play mandolin in a bluegrass group, but would pick up the banjo once a night to do a banjo duet with the bluegrass banjo player, Al Kirby on When You And I Were Young Maggie.
I'm not sure if you can access this without being a Banjo Hangout member, but here's a clip of Al and me playing Maggie from Al's Banjo Hangout page. Our friend Zeke Mazurek added a fiddle break, if I recall correctly. I haven't listened to it for a few years.
https://www.banjohangout.org/myhango...1153&archived=
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .

Last edited by PHJim; 06-29-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

OK, confession time - I've been thinking about old time banjo - and last month, my wife bought me one!

She keeps encouraging me to play it too!

Can you believe it?
Old 08-26-2018, 05:34 PM

When you do purchase, research bridges. I have a Deering Good Time open back, probably the cheapest acceptably sounding brand out there, all maple. Spent a couple weeks modding standard bridges, and got another 25% out of the sound. I also placed a piece of stock galvanized round steel (3/16ths I think) as a hoop (instead of a tone ring) in the groove under the head, and a new, almost clear fake-skin under the head, 25%. The bridge is a standard bridge with a thin laminate of African Blackwood on the very top, a piece of hornwood on the 1st, 2nd and 5th strings, and tilted away from the neck at a bit of an angle, which was the best combination out of 20 or so bridges.

Last edited by BillRomansky; 08-26-2018 at 06:31 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments