The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-14-2018, 10:56 AM

Default NAD Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue

Beech Creek Gary
TDPRI Member
Jun 29, 2018
Hawkins County, Tennessee
I've never played on a tube amp before & wanted something with more power than my 10 watt Fender Frontman practice amp. $799 was more than I wanted to spend but Musicians Friend had 48 month financing with their store card & I can handle $17 per month.
It came yesterday & I spent a couple of hours making friends with it. It comes with a foot switch to select whichever channel you want to use & to turn the reverb on & off. It also comes with a "gig bag" (cover). It's LOUD, and has plenty of overdrive to suit me but it's not perfect. The "presence" knob doesn't do anything that I can hear and the reverb is kind of lame. I have to peg it on 10 to hear any at all. That's a cheap fix though & I'll eventually change out the tank.
I like it so far & I'm sure I'll like it more when I get used to it.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:18 AM

congrats on your 1st tube amp.

swapping out the tank doesn't sound like the reverb problem. check the cables and the check the tubes to make sure they didn't come loose in shipping. that may be why you don't hear any change in the presence knob.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-14-2018, 12:57 PM

you should be drenched in reverb at anything more than like 6 or so..

Definitely start checking the cables,

if all else fails, get MF to RMA you another.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Yep I have a BDRI and the reverb on mine is excellent. At levels 3-4 it is more than plenty in most cases, so I'm thinking you have something else going on to cause the lack of reverb in the amp.

Congrats on the NAD. I agree the BDRI is a loud mother, but I find it to be quite versatile and a good amp, overall.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:59 AM

I have an older version of that amp, the 4x10 model.

It took me awhile to bond with it. With some pickups in some contexts it just doesn't get going somehow. And if you crank it to get to the sweet spot it is loud. It does take pedals well though if want to hit the front end harder with something other than the built-in drive circuit. I can't comment on the reverb as I don't tend to use much on that amp, but I agree with the above poster that what you're reported doesn't sound right.

I'll be firing mine up on Tuesday for my annual remembrance of Jimi Hendrix's dying. Naturally I want to be playing a Strat with single coils, and I'll be using some kind of pedal.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-16-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I'll be firing mine up on Tuesday for my annual remembrance of Jimi Hendrix's dying. Naturally I want to be playing a Strat with single coils, and I'll be using some kind of pedal.
May I suggest a FuzzFace or Big Muff?
Old 09-17-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
congrats on your 1st tube amp.

swapping out the tank doesn't sound like the reverb problem. check the cables and the check the tubes to make sure they didn't come loose in shipping. that may be why you don't hear any change in the presence knob.

play music!
This

The reverb in my Hot Rod DeVille 410 conked out and it turned out to be a loose connection. I bought my amp used so when the Reverb quit, I decided to strip it down and look for other issues it had and address them too.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYRN View Post
May I suggest a FuzzFace or Big Muff?
Yes, there was Big Muff in the chain at times

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars