The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-07-2018, 06:38 AM

My apologies for a very basic question - do you track with headphones?

For me, I strum/pick and adjust my position relative to the mics, walls, etc. and listen through headphones. Then I pick the position that sounds best to my ears and try to not move too much when I hit record.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
My apologies for a very basic question - do you track with headphones?

For me, I strum/pick and adjust my position relative to the mics, walls, etc. and listen through headphones. Then I pick the position that sounds best to my ears and try to not move too much when I hit record.
That's what I do to set up, but turn off headphones during the actual recording.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-07-2018, 02:58 PM

I want to thank all who have commented. After playing around and around with the two mic thing, I've decided that for what I do it's just not worth it.

Here's a recording (no vocals yet) of what I've been working on using as careful a single mic placement as I can do.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

I like the sound you got on the stereo track, tho it doesn't seem to sound like normal XY. It's quite wide, with significant phase differences, more like a very wide spaced pair than XY, almost too wide.

I'm not sure about the "not worth it" thing, tho in your later example, it's more of a full-band sound, where the more common thing is to record the guitar as mono and create a sound stage by panning individual instruments, so if that's the goal, I'd agree, just do the guitar as mono. If acoustic fingerpicked guitar is the featured instrument, stereo would be more useful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD