The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 11:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aculadd View Post
Ok, I sometimes think of taking a trip out to where you are to play the L00 Pernambuco, and the Walnut, and whatever else you built that is available to play. I do like your style of play and the song. Very nice feeling.
Be careful, Bruce, you seem to be thinking this at least two days in a row, next thing you know you'll actually be doing it, which would be fine with me.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aculadd View Post
Ok, I sometimes think of taking a trip out to where you are to play the L00 Pernambuco, and the Walnut, and whatever else you built that is available to play. I do like your style of play and the song. Very nice feeling.
Highly Recommended!! Although those 2 guitars would be reason enough, there are a few others he has in stock that are every bit their equal. Make sure you try the Relics, too - great stuff!!!
Old 07-07-2015, 02:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

This one's for Acculad. It's the guitar you considered at Woodstock last year.

Grey buck, a jig.

The invisible repair I told you about remains invisible. Me and my big mouth!
Old 07-08-2015, 07:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

About 20 years ago, and for 3 years of time, I have a band with Eric Schoenberg an I playing guitar, and Larry Mersereau playing double bass. Our biggest claim to fame was that we played as a "featured" act at the Healdsburg Guitar festival the year that it was held at the Dominican College in San Rafael; the year (almost) nobody came. Larry moved out of the area for a few years but saw the light and has moved back. We spent the morning playing tunes for the second Wednesday in a row, and plan to do so again next week. That's the music news for today.

I did close the box that will be the FT-15-D Kerala today, and here it is:

If you have just a little knowledge, you can see in this pic how wonderfully quartered the material is!
Old 07-08-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
This one's for Acculad. It's the guitar you considered at Woodstock last year.

Grey buck, a jig.

The invisible repair I told you about remains invisible. Me and my big mouth!
That was Sweeet. I felt like I was back in Britain. And Bruce, you don't have a big mouth. You had to tell me. That one is a wonderful guitar also. Thank you.

Last edited by Aculadd; 07-08-2015 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Changed wording
Old 07-09-2015, 11:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

This morning Gary Kaplan sent me a couple of the images he made. The back for the current build is on the bench.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

I spent the day binding the new guitar. It is sanded to 180 which make the wood's beauty more visible.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:36 AM

Default rosette

That's a nice rosette, simple, distinctive, with a foot in both modern and traditional camps.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post

I was quite discouraged by the lack of interest shown in the All Walnut guitar I featured on my Memphis table. I was pretty careful not to say too much about my own impressions of it, preferring to count on AGFers that I imagined would come by to have a look see. If anyone did, they didn't say anything to me about it!
Bruce, I really liked the "Walnetto" (there, I named it ) when I visited the shop. In fact, when approaching the finish line, it was a real toss-up between it and the Sutton, although the two were obviously very different: one an incomparable expression of deep tradition, the other a bold experiment. Ultimately, since I could only pick one, I went with the Sutton, because 1) I'm a quite hopeless and unredeemable BRW addict, 2) I really wanted a parlor, and 3) the tone of that guitar is simply otherworldly. If I had truly preferred the tone of the 000, I would have picked it. BTW, I found it to be an absolutely monster player, really killer, with the action just a hair lower than your usual set-up.

I will also say the 000 had several elements that really spoke to me, and which have remained in my permanent "design locker" for future consideration!

I encourage anyone here to give it a real good look--you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by Rico59; 07-11-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

I completely concur about "walnetto". When I tried it in mid-May, it was one of my favorites in Bruce's shop. With my eyes closed, I would have had no clue that I was playing an all walnut guitar, just an excellent one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico59 View Post
Bruce, I really liked the "Walnetto" (there, I named it ) when I visited the shop. In fact, when approaching the finish line, it was a real toss-up between it and the Sutton, although the two were obviously very different: one an incomparable expression of deep tradition, the other a bold experiment. Ultimately, since I could only pick one, I went with the Sutton, because 1) I'm a quite hopeless and unredeemable BRW addict, 2) I really wanted a parlor, and 3) the tone of that guitar is simply otherworldly. If I had truly preferred the tone of the 000, I would have picked it. BTW, I found it to be an absolutely monster player, really killer, with the action just a hair lower than your usual set-up.

I will also say the 000 had several elements that really spoke to me, and which have remained in my permanent "design locker" for future use!

I encourage anyone here to give it a real good look--you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 07-11-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:54 PM

Wow, stunning work as always Bruce. Your ability to seamlessly blend traditional and modern elements into your work is something I've always greatly admired and is something I very much try to emulate.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

I really liked the headstock on the "Walnetto", so I repeated the concept on the current build. It is so beautiful to me, that I cannot imagine it being the reason it was ignored, for the most part, at Memphis. I do imagine that the reason was that people weren't thinking all walnut, so it probably didn't look like a guitar to most casual observers. I think this new one would be more likely to show up on the radar.

Today I completed the major constructon and put on the first sealer coat, which is when the wood requires little to no imagination to envision it's true coloration.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

That really is a nice headstock design. The top of it goes really well with your logo!

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 07-14-2015, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Looks even nicer, rightsize up!

Old 07-15-2015, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Oh man Bruce - I love your slotheads!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop