The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-28-2011, 12:04 PM

Default Rainsong jumbo 12 string

If anyone has ever played or own(s) the Rainsong jumbo 12 string can you tell me how the neck compares to other 12 string guitars like Taylor or Guild? Is it chunky or is it smooth?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:06 PM

I have played the JM1000 with the new neck and the old neck. These are wonderful guitars my Rainsong favorite. If you want a Taylor type neck get the old neck or N1 style. the N2 is much fuller thought certainly nice. I would compare the N1 to a Taylor neck.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 12-28-2011, 12:32 PM

I own a JM3000. I've never played a Taylor or Guild 12-string. The neck took some getting used to for me, but I have really short fingers, so take that with a grain of salt. It does have a bit of an odd feel to me. It's like they took a C-shaped neck and stretched it out, leaving a flat area in the middle. Kind of hard to describe.

I will point out that it only took me a few weeks to get used to the neck. For me, it was the width (due to the short fingers) and not the shape that was the problem. I would imagine that most people (who have normal length fingers) would find this a very easy 12-string to play.

I recorded a video review a while back, if you're interested:

http://youtu.be/VZ9Guzgydf0
Old 12-28-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
I own a JM3000. I've never played a Taylor or Guild 12-string. The neck took some getting used to for me, but I have really short fingers, so take that with a grain of salt. It does have a bit of an odd feel to me. It's like they took a C-shaped neck and stretched it out, leaving a flat area in the middle. Kind of hard to describe.

I will point out that it only took me a few weeks to get used to the neck. For me, it was the width (due to the short fingers) and not the shape that was the problem. I would imagine that most people (who have normal length fingers) would find this a very easy 12-string to play.

I recorded a video review a while back, if you're interested:

http://youtu.be/VZ9Guzgydf0
Very good review. I don't think the flat neck or width would bother me. It is on my short list of 12 string guitars. I would order one without the electronics though.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:20 PM

The neck on Rainsong 12-strings are very similar to Taylors 12-string neck, one of the easiest 12's you will ever play. BTW, there is only one neck option for 12-strings from Rainsong, it's the original, low profile N1 neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber