The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-14-2019, 06:23 PM

Default The Tonewood

Hello: Does anyone here have a Tonewood guitar body amp, or tried one out ? Very curious what you think and is it as impressive as the promo videos portray?

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2019, 06:49 PM

Very expensive toy. I had one for about
Two months. It does do and sound as advertised.
Although you can use it live it it s too cumbersome for that application. It's a neat gizmo that works as advertised. But is more of a
Toy to impress your buddy's Than a real
Life piece of pro audio gear.
I equate it to a George foreman grill. Of which
I used a few times and got tired if quite
Quickly. Ymmv
Old 09-14-2019, 08:23 PM

Lol varmonter. That makes sense. I just need to try one in a guitar store somewhere and hear it for real. I wonder too how it might work out for a solo gig situation. It has a line out as well for an amp or PA, which sort of undermines it's advertised purpose. On the demo videos I watched, they had a lot of reverb on the audio track to begin with, while they were telling about it before playing. So that was a little fishy, like trying to embellish how it sounds when played.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:35 AM

Mine never leaves my guitar unless I'm actually plugged in.... it is far more than just a "toy" but can take even the simplest of ideas, add some reverb and chorus coming out of the soundhole, and you have an idea that you very easily might have passed on playing with a dry sound.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercn View Post
Lol varmonter. That makes sense. I just need to try one in a guitar store somewhere and hear it for real. I wonder too how it might work out for a solo gig situation. It has a line out as well for an amp or PA, which sort of undermines it's advertised purpose. On the demo videos I watched, they had a lot of reverb on the audio track to begin with, while they were telling about it before playing. So that was a little fishy, like trying to embellish how it sounds when played.
Having never used a Tonewood, and not knowing if they're readily available in stores, I would think you could get a taste of what it can do by auditioning a Yamaha TransAcoustic guitar at your local Guitar Center or another music shop that carries Yamaha guitars. My Yamaha LL-TA TransAcoustic sounds really nice with and without the TransAcoustic effects engaged.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-15-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:05 PM

There's been several threads on this before. The TWA is good for sitting around the house, campfire or taking to a friends house. I haven't used it live before as my amp has better effects, but you certainly could. I'm with Spruce I have a Yamaha LL-TA that I prefer to the TWA. Having it integrated into the guitar is a lot more convenient. The TWA has a lot more effects, though I only used reverb and the occasional chorus. The quality of the effects is about the same.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

My experience was the same as Vermonter - neat toy, fun for a couple months then sold it. Only the reverb effect worked well for me and it tended to feedback if you got it too loud, as in loud enough to be fully enjoyed. It also absolutely ATE batteries.

The Yamaha TA would be my choice as well if I wanted something that provided effects unplugged.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:39 PM

Default Excellent

My boyfriend has one and it is excellent but yes...expensive
Old 09-17-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
My boyfriend has one and it is excellent but yes...expensive
Got mine when it was still in pre-production for $159 and as I said earlier it pretty much stays on my guitar unless it's in the case or actually plugged in to an amp.
I will say it sounds and projects much better on my Martin than it does on my Taylor, but my Martin has a flat back and the Taylor does not so that could have a lot to do with it also.....I'm sure it does to an extent.

Last edited by unsound; 09-17-2019 at 06:42 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification