The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-19-2015, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Rainsong Hybrid Series H-DR1100N2

I am getting the above named guitar and it is without the Fishman electronics. I plan to put a K&K mini in it if I need it. There-in is my question.

How many of you really use the electronics? Maybe the guitar will be just fine without any electronics.

What do you think?

I mostly play for myself or in very small settings.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:16 PM

The answer to the question is wholly dependent on how you will use the guitar. Big crowd/venues mean a big (amplified) sound is needed. Otherwise, unplugged will be fine.

I've grown tired of the metallic sound of the steel string/Piezo combination and gone to nylon string/Piezo instead. If I have to play a steel string guitar it will be with an acoustic-modeler soundhole p'up temporarily installed. It's usually a better sound than the Piezo systems can muster through all the ranges and dynamics of play. Some will debate this but in my experience asking Piezo to stay with me throughout my repertoire is challenging.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:06 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I think you're wise to have opted for unobtrusive electonics. All my guitars are sans barn door. I rarely plug-in, but situations can arise where it's necessary. It's worth it to have a system available to you, should you need it.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:30 AM

I don't have the 1100, I have the H DR1000 N2 with Fishman prefix

I originally got the Rainsong to replace my Adamas CF which I play plugged in; However the reason I went with the Rainsong over the Adamas was because of it's superior acoustic tone.
What I didn't expect to happen was for me to like it close to better than my D28 or Taylor 420 acoustically ,but sometimes better. Better because it's propensity to stay in tune during long sessions.
Also; my Rainsong is a consistent winner or runner up to people that I perform live blind sound test on. When I sing the Rainsong with the TR Monel Strings provide a perfect balance; meaning on small venues without using a sound system. I never would have thought it would be as acoustically pleasing as it is.
BTW I love my Wood and Carbon guitars equally. While I'm playing my guitars, they are all satisfying to the ear, but the RainSong doesn't tire me out like the others.
Didn't mean for this to be a Wood Carbon competition, but your question was regarding the acoustic result of the RainSong so I thought comparison was beneficial.
I'm Sure you'll enjoy your new H DR1100
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 12-20-2015, 09:25 AM

Good choice getting it without the big preamp. I just pulled the preamp out of my Rainsong hybrid dread. Even with the screws tightened it still rattled on certain notes. I can't stand that. So I wired the undersaddle pickup direct to the endpin jack, then wired the preamp into an enclosure that I can plug into. The preamp does sound great, great shapability...gets as good as piezo can sound.

The K&K is a great sounding, simple pickup in my experience. There's a bit of texture on the underside of the top...I wonder if you'd need to smooth it with a sanding block to prep for the K&K.

I do like plugging in sometimes, even at home (for some reverb or extra gain). Really like my Loudbox!

BTW, I think you'll enjoy the hybrid dread...my favorite (and warmest) CF six string I've ever owned.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber