The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-17-2019, 05:55 PM
Guest 928

I suppose I'm a bit lazy, but my feeling is that the best way to eliminate a post or change a title, is not to bother. After all, they ultimately get lost in the subsequent deluge of new posts and new titles.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:18 PM

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on the discussion of changing the thread title. I think I succeeded by editing the OP using the "go advanced" option and changing the title of the first post!

As I mentioned in an edit of the OP I have since converted my Larrivee Parlor to a dedicated Nashville tuned guitar. It shines wonderfully in that capacity. In standard tuning it tends toward a really honky bluesy midrange that is a bit too specialized for my tastes.

Last edited by ethanay; 09-22-2019 at 06:51 PM. Reason: successfully changed thread title
Old 10-17-2019, 01:01 AM

Default Gig bag padding

So, I do have one issue coming up about the construction of the gig bag: the side padding doesn't fully protect the side of the guitar. There is a strip of bare canvas about an inch wide where the padding doesn't reach all the way up to the zipper, around the bottom of the lower bout. Although the guitar hasn't endured any hard knocks, it is unnerving, e.g., when I stand the guitar up on concrete (sealed in its bag), to clearly hear the top corner of the lower bout of the guitar (e.g., just below the bag zipper line) contact the concrete.

It almost seems like the padding is either too narrow, or it is "folded in on itself" and so doesn't cover all the surface area that it needs to cover. At any rate, the gig bag isn't fully doing it's job of padding the guitar from minor bumps in a very high-bump area.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this about their gig bags and it is a common construction or an anomaly?
Old 10-17-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanay View Post
Wondering if anyone else has noticed this about their gig bags and it is a common construction or an anomaly?
My new gigbag (for an X20) doesn’t seem to have this issue - padding goes to the rim on the top, back and sides, all the way around the lower bout.

You might want to send a picture or two to Emerald to see if you got a ‘bad one’, especially if no-one else here reports the same thing.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-21-2019, 07:34 PM

Thanks for this input, much appreciated. Here is a pic: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rNeuWNgJoQPBPeQDA with duplicates drawing lines where the padding stops. It seems like the padding was cut too narrow to fill up the entire channel, leaving strips about 1.5" completely absent of padding around the corners of the guitar.

I will get in touch with them and see what they say.

Last edited by ethanay; 10-22-2019 at 05:47 PM. Reason: added picture link and details
Old 11-07-2019, 10:11 PM

Emerald sent me a replacement gig bag. It has MUCH better protection around the lower/large bout of the guitar.

There were some quality issues with the original bag I received. In additional the spotty padding problems, some more minor issues included that a couple of seams around the front pocket decorative mesh were incorrectly sewn and the mesh started falling out of the seam. The stitching didn't fully catch the edge of the mesh.

And this bag comes with a shoulder strap! (in addition to the built-in backpack straps!). I never received a shoulder strap with my original guitar/bag. I'm sure it was a minor oversight and if I even had known to ask they would have sent me one at no charge.

So, while it looks like there was a quality control issue, top notch for the service! (Thank you Emerald!)

Such a fantastic little take everywhere guitar, and it's nice to know that when I set it down on a hard surface I won't have to worry about the guitar itself directly impacting the hard surface.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:03 AM

Good to hear that Em set it straight and made it right on your bag.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:32 PM

in all honesty, seeing their reputation of providing good service tipped me over the edge on the X7 in the first place. All the specs were right.

But I've had to learn the hard way the hidden expenses of dealing with companies that are not interested in providing good service. At that point, if I am considering a new gear purchase, I have to ask myself, "am I comfortable purchasing this new, and just pretending I purchased it used, because I won't expect any help from the company? Can I find another company that would provide me an appropriate solution with service to back it up?"

Asking myself those questions is what prompted me to transition from another carbon fibre travel guitar to Emerald.

I saw an interview with Victor Wooten talking about who he endorses and why. He said something along the lines of, "There is plenty of amazing gear out there. It is an amazing time to be a bassist. We have so many options. So I try to go with companies that have a heart as well as just simply making good products."

Well, I will probably never be as well-known as Mr. Wooten, but that philosophy really resonated with me. There is plenty of talent out there. The world needs more good people, and the good people of the world deserve more support.

Last edited by ethanay; 11-08-2019 at 01:32 PM. Reason: removed sentence

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
carbon, scale length, travel