The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post
Does the preamp add any benefit since you already have the Zoom H4 preamps? Are you going through two sets of preamps thereby?
My external preamps seem to be very clean. When using them I set the Zoom for minimal gain. My Oktava mc-012 needs phantom power and my ribbon doesn't, but the ribbon does need significant gain. I could record directly into the Zoom, without the external preamps, but I'm getting good results with the externals. I'm not sure I'd be able to notice the difference, but since I have the equipment why not use it? It's also a lot easier to adjust gain levels with the external preamps, as the Zoom H4 interface is a bit of a pain to use.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 09-25-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:13 AM

Makes sense Chuck. Thanks for the info.

I also use 2 mics (ADK A6) as a spaced pair into a Zoom H4N, recording in the "4 channel mode" on the H4N (utilising the 2 mics plus the two internal Zoom H4N mics). But I never considered using an external preamp with the ADK mics. I have a Scarlett 2i2 preamp, and might try that with the ADK mics (all going into the Zoom) next time I record and see what happens.

Sorry to the OP for this tangent

--Bill

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 09-25-2013, 02:21 PM

Bill,
Thanks....to my ears, much deeper "lush" sound from using the Rane preamp. It's two channel, so I plug each mic into separate channels and then into the Zoom. Have enjoyed using this system.
Regards,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 09-27-2013, 11:11 AM

My I/O interface is a Focusrite Saffire Pro40 and my DAW is Ableton Live 8 (suite) running on a Mac Pro tower.

I have a Joe Meek TwinQcs as an outboard preamp that I use for everything. It's the classic "does everything well and nothing excellent" preamp. I use this to power all of my mics for acoustic guitar recording as well as vocals and as the input for electric guitar and bass.

Mics:

Matched pair of Neumann KM184
Sterling Audio ST69 tube mic
Behringer B2 (2)
2 tiny diaphragm, handmade mystery mics I bought about 12 years ago from someone online that I can't remember that work surprisingly well.

Guitars:

Alberico OM
Alberico Baritone
Mustapick GC
Fender American Special Strat HSS
Fender American Special Jazz Bass

For electric guitar sounds I use Amplitube 3 as an insert. I record the electric guitar sounds dry so I can apply any effect I want in post-production. I generally run the Jazz bass into the Joe Meek with some compression on the input side and then straight into the DAW.

For drums I use EZ Drummer. It's a shockingly flexible program that is easy to use, has tons of online support and LOTS of MIDI libraries to choose from. The "upgrade" is Superior Drummer", but EZ Drummer is (IMO) better. Superior Drummer already has effects applied while EZ Drummer sends its sounds out dry (I'm sure you CAN get dry sounds from Superior Drummer). EZ Drummer can be as simple as a stereo output or you can break it out into individual tracks (kick, snare top, snare bottom, hi-hat, Toms 1, Toms 2, stereo overhead, stereo room).

I used to obsess over finding the right plug-ins for post production, but over the last year have decided to simplify. I'm using Ableton's built-in effects and have found them to be quite good for my purposes. I've reduced my aftermarket inserts down to two: The previously mentioned Amplitube 3 and EZ Mix. EZ Mix is stupidly fun to play with, and it does EXACTLY what it says, which is get you a decent mix quickly and easily. It's not perfect and I wish is was more "tweakable", but it's a great and inexpensive piece of software that will dramatically improve the translation of your mixes.

My monitors are Event Project Studio 8. I've had them forever. I don't really like them very much, but I know them and that's worth something.

For an individual doing it all alone this is a pretty straight forward set up that works well.

Gear I WANT:

I'm currently lusting over the Lauten Audio LT-381 Oceanus mic.
I like the Joe Meek TwinQcs, but would like to get a more vocal oriented channel strip. Thoughts?
Old 09-29-2013, 01:37 PM

I use a bunch of "Toys" and Cakewalk. Works for me.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 AM

Default what do you use to record?

I'm new to this sub-forum but here goes:

Focusrite Saffire Pro40 firewire interface, mics and instruments direct to interface. Occasionally we also use a Yamaha 01v96 which allows me to patch an additional 8 tracks via ADAT.

MacBook pro with Reaper DAW, tracks recorded as Wave-files, making them exportable to Logic, Cubase etc.

Guitars recorded with DPA 4099 plus Neumann KMS104 (if we're not using them for vocals), plus a DI from pickups just to blend and/or conpare. Next session we'll be trying an old matched pair of AKG C414's instead of KMS104's.

Bass and digital piano (when we record them) DI via interface to DAW.

Vocals recorded with a pair of vintage Neumann U87i's plus our KMS104's when recording harmony vocals in single takes (ie no double tracking).

Percussion recorded with 2 Neumann KM84's or AKG C535's plus Shure Beta 91 inside Cajun.

Definitely an advantage working at a theatre with many fine mics!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 10-02-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicianvw View Post
i see alot of you use computer recording anyone use any consoles like zoom or boss?
i use both an H4n and an R24 (both zoom) -- both have the capability to be used as multitrack recorders or as interfaces.

i'm no pro, but it's the perfect setup for me. with either device, i can record at basically every level of involvement/quality i want.

- both have onboard mics that aren't total crap (not great, but not horrible) for really rough drafts/super simple recording

- both have XLR inputs for plugging in proper mics to take it up a notch - still record onboard to an sd card quickly and easily, with batteries if need be.

- both can then transfer wav files to a DAW if need be

- both can act as an interface with a DAW and can be pegged as the output in your DAW for zero-latency monitoring.

i'm sure there are drawbacks i don't notice, but well... i don't notice them. i'm no pro, but i'm not a total ignoramus either. i know people say the preamps aren't the greatest, but if you're drafting, who cares? if you're not, turn them all the way down and run the mics through a proper preamp/mixer first.

cheers!

"steal from the best stores - but steal from all of them"

2001 Gibson J-45 Rosewood
1979 Yamaha G231
1996 Takamine G330
2010 Martin LXM
1982 Christiansen Sausage-fingered Hand (x2 as it happens)

myspace.com/joshchristiansenmusic
teawithstavrogin.blogspot.com
Old 10-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Guest 33123

Zoom H2n with built-in mics set to mid side. Click my soundcloud link in my sig to hear what the raw files sounds like. I don't bother with post processing.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Cocobologist

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 here as well. Love the clarity of the preamps in this box. (Also have a Saffire 6 USB that I use with my Win laptop for mobile recordings but may be selling soon) Had a MOTU 2408 in the past and I like this Focusrite much better. I have a Behringer tube preamp in the closet but I haven't used it in several years. It works fine, but I like the sound of the Focusrite preamps better.

Mics are a variety of MXL small diaphragm (603s) and large (2000p) as well as Audio Technica (AT4050). A variety of dynamic live mics (Shure SM58, Sennheiser e855) may be used as well. No big names, but they provide a lot of value and good clean recordings at a reasonable price.

Running the hardware into the PreSonus Studio One 2 DAW software. Works great, is Win & Mac compatible, plug ins are solid and offers some great mastering tools. Very reasonably priced as well. Used Cakewalk/Sonar for 10 years but transitioned to the PreSonus when I made the move to Mac in the home studio a couple years ago, and I haven't looked back since. Control is via mouse, keyboard and Presonus FaderPort transport controller.

Studio monitors are Mackie HR824s. Been using them for 10 years now, and they haven't let me down yet.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 10-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Default I Really Pared Down to a Basic Recording Signal Chain

Aloha,

I finally realized that I'm probably not going to devote much time anymore to recording - not enough left. I'd rather play live & record when I want to share something on the fly. So I didn't need what I'd accumulated.

So, I have seriously pared down my recording rig, selling off much of it since last spring. Additionally, I don't currently have a dedicated recording space. So it made sense to sell it off. All ya need for acoustic recording is a basic compatible signal chain, a whole lot of experience with mic placement & mastering, & a treated space.

But here is my current DAW recording rig (10/13):

Computer: 2009 IMac - 3.06 Hz, 8 gigs of RAM, 21.5" screen

DAW: Logic Pro 9.1.8

Interface: Apogee Ensemble

Vocal LDC Condenser Mic's: Mojave MA-200 cardioid condensers.

Guitar Condenser Mic's: Schoeps Matched CMC6 SDC's with MK41 (hyper), MK4 (cardioid), MK2 (omni) & MK8 (ribbon) capsules. Pair of Mojave MA-200's for strumming tracks. The Schoeps 641's are my "go-to's" for fingerstyle.

Preamps: Pendulum SPS-1, & the Apogee Ensemble, which has great onboard mic preamps

External Storage HD's: Glyphs

Plug-in's: Altiverb 6 (convolution reverb) & Logic Pro's plug-in's & FX are very good too

Monitors: Adam A7X (near-field), Custom Koa Daedalus 803's (mid-range - also my live gigging speakers), Alpine car stereo for mix-down

Headphones: AKG Studio 240's

Cables: Mogami, Canare/Neutrik

Room Treatment: Essential for using mic's & all recording. 22 self-made, portable, 4"x2'x4' broadband absorbers. I put them where I need them, creating a 'room-within-a-room' type of control of early & bass reflections. The best part is I can put them away when not in use & it's not permanent or expensive.

That's it. I'm feeling a lot lighter (and richer) since I unloaded my other great mic's & stuff. Some of that took 30 years to put together.

Note: Remember, it's experience, mic placement, lots of experimentation & Room Treatment that are the keys to making consistently good acoustic guitar recordings. You can even make those little Zoom recorders sound pretty good w/ minimal effort - if the room is treated. That should be your first investment, IMO.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 10-02-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:42 PM

Gefell M300 matched pair
Lawson L47 V1
Gefell M990
Cascade X15 Lundhal

Aurora GTQ2
NPNG 2 ch
A Design MP2
Avalon 737

Pro Tools HD Native (Omni + 16x16)
Late 2013 imac 3.5GHz i7 - all ssd
ADAM S2A's + NS10M

A ton of 2x4x2" and 2x4x4" ECOSE acoustic panels

Old 10-03-2013, 03:00 AM

I use Rode NT5 match pair for a stereo guitar recording. Focusrite 2i2 interface into my iMac (2013) with either Garageband or Logic Pro. Simple set up.

YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/cedwin
Old 10-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

I have IMO two ( one recording one live PA ) nice personal systems I've put together over the last 10 years. I have basically two channels of (I think) high end outboard analog input plus 2 more channels of very good additional analog input and two channels of high end outboard processing.

Recording rig:
Starting with a Mac Pro 6 core Westmere 3.33 Ghz 24 Gigs RAM memeory
An Apple 27 inch Cinema Display

Pro Tools HD Native 11/ 10 bundle

Avid HD Omni combo, interface, mic pres, converters.

A- Designs MP2A 2 channel tube mic pre

Bricasti M7 digital stereo reverb

KRK V 8 Monitor speakers
Sennheiser HD 280 closed back head phones for tracking
Sennheiser HD 600 open back head phones (for mixing when family is home)

Brauner Phantom V LDC
Schoeps CM6 SDC w/ MK 4 capsule

The recording rig is set up in my attic with a home made desk and equipment rack

My PA system is also 2 channel which can also give me two good additional analog channels for recording if necessary

I have a Fishman 220 solo amp
a 2 channel Langevin DCV combo Pre/EQ/Limiter
a TC Electronics 3000 stereo processor
All in a SKS rolling rack

AKG C 900 stage condenser mic
Shure Beta 87 stage condenser mic
Shure KMS 105 SDC stage condenser mic

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-03-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:56 PM

So many options. I have a few different ways to record.

1) Direct into my computer, using Reaper, Cubase, Ableton Live, or even Audacity.
2) Using a Zip-drive Boss BR8 recording console. Quick and easy to start this up and lay down tracks, even refine them. Fast to export tracks to separate wav files for further mixing on computer, if needed.
3) Zoom surround sound recorder. I'll keep this in my case if I go for a jam session, or even on vacations to record ambient sounds for various reasons.
4) My smart phone, mostly for quick song ideas I have. I can immediately upload them to my Soundcloud account to the rest of my band, or other friends can hear.
2011 Martin D28 Sunburst | 2004 Taylor 310CE L7 | Mesa Boogie Rectoverb | Fender Super | Custom 1998 American Stratocaster | Yamaha Alto Sax | Ibanez Basses | Ramirez Flamenco | too much else to mention
Old 10-15-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicianvw View Post
i see alot of you use computer recording anyone use any consoles like zoom or boss?
I have a Zoom R16 and a Alesis 8 Channel USB mixer. I run a AKG 200, through an ART tube mic preamp, through the mixer, and then to Sonar (used to be Audition). This is my non-portable solution that's hooked into my fast, 8 core desktop. I also have studio monitors in this room. This works very well.

With the Zoom R16, I use the onboard condensing mics to capture quick ideas. If I want to, I can use the Zoom R16 as a USB mixer (like the Alesis) and run it through my laptop and send it to Sonar again. So this is my portable solution that works quite into my slower laptop. I also use headphones to monitor the mix in this setup. The Zoom R16 is a pretty cool device, by the way.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD