The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-04-2012, 09:30 PM

Default YouTube audio upgrade

I've mentioned before that YouTube/Google changes their encoding details without notice and an occasional test is useful. I decided to take my own advice and check up on them when I uploaded the Flangdang clips.

I uploaded these as 720p/30 video with 48khz/16 bit PCM audio, these specs matched the source clips. When I pulled my "E Nihi Ka Hele" clip down and checked the audio stream it showed a 192 kbit AAC audio stream. Hey, that's supposed to be a transparent level of compression.

If that's the case, it should not be possible to differentiate between the downloaded audio and the original uncompressed upload. You know what I'm going to say, right? ABX of course.

I also found a few new sources of info about encoding and formats and YouTube audio history, so I slapped all of that along with some sample clips into a Homebrewed Music blog entry: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2012/...-and-abx-again

If you take the time to do some comparison listening, please let me know either on the blog or here, and I'll shoot the key back to you.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 10-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Charter Member

192 bit rate is not transparent but still pretty good from youtube.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-05-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
192 bit rate is not transparent but still pretty good from youtube.
When you consider the "sound systems" that your average Youtube listener uses and the conditions under which these systems are used, a 192 bit rate is probably transparent close to 100% of the time . . .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD