The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-29-2011, 04:06 PM

Default Logic vs Reaper?

Which one do you prefer for a Macbook? Any other s/w you would recommend?

Thanks,

John Sorell
Old 11-29-2011, 10:22 PM

Ardour is another one to look at. It's quite a sophisticated program: unlimited tracks and buses, plugins, sends, inserts, fader automation, very flexible audio routing with Jack, etc etc. The only real drawback is lack of midi but development is well underway and this should be available sometime next year. As a multi-track recorder, it's great.

Here's a demo of the Harrison mixbus version. This adds some Harrison magic to the standard program. You get four (I think) Harrison mixbuses with EQ, compression, tape saturation and the same summing algorithms they use in their high-end consoles.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsorell View Post
Which one do you prefer for a Macbook? Any other s/w you would recommend?

Thanks,

John Sorell
I don't Mac but I've heard over and over again that you shouldn't underestimate Garageband.

The version of REAPER you download for evaluation is fully functional, is quick and easy to download and install, so the evaluation is a snap. REAPER is also extremely light on resource requirements, making it ideal for laptop use.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
I don't Mac but I've heard over and over again that you shouldn't underestimate Garageband.

The version of REAPER you download for evaluation is fully functional, is quick and easy to download and install, so the evaluation is a snap. REAPER is also extremely light on resource requirements, making it ideal for laptop use.

Fran
That you don't "Mac" surprises me a little Fran

One of the problems with folks general input on DAW's is that each user is on a completely different level. What the package looks like in review the 1st year of use is utterly different in the 6th year of use.

In that I hesitate to compare GarageBand to Logic. Someone's gonna scream foul in that equation. However....if one is interested in a software DAW that acts primarily like an old tape machine (that is to say very little deep editing capabilities) I dunno how a Mac user can possibly beat GarageBand. It's simple, elegant, sturdy, hardy, has a very complete softsynth sound-set, decent and expandable FX's and costs little to nothing to get going.

There is a gent that posts here from time to time who's up in the bay area. They have a acoustic/bluegrass-ish/americana CD they did on Garageband. Their name escapes me at the moment but I'll post it when my brain gets engaged. A quick listen to their sample audio should shed plenty of light on what GB is capable of!
Old 11-30-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Fran
I use Garageband for simple amateur home recordings. I have never used other programs so I can't compare it with anything but for my hobby, Garageband is more than sufficient.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
I use Garageband for simple amateur home recordings. I have never used other programs so I can't compare it with anything but for my hobby, Garageband is more than sufficient.
What is it about GarageBand that makes you dismiss it as amateur/hobby like?

I'd hope others just getting into home recording would not interpret the software as such. It is not.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

I was wondering the same thing last night. I have used both Logic and Reaper. I like how alot of things in Reaper are fairly straightforward and don't require alot of digging. By comparison, alot of features in Logic dont seem all that logical to me. But its quick swipe comping feature is great. And I think the various plug ins are probably higher quality.

In the end I think it depends on your needs and your budget. Logic is a huge software package with virtual instruments and sample loops. Reaper is much more streamlined and affordable.

Anton
Old 11-30-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post

I bought a 128 Mac the week they were announced. I was programming on the PC at the time and thought I might jump into the new niche. I immediately discovered that Apple had locked up the playroom and the key was expensive. The first upgrade that came along (512K main memory, as I recall) was absurdly expensive compared to the power I could buy in the PC world and I turned away from Macs at that moment. I've never regretted that decision so far.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 11-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
immediately discovered that Apple had locked up the playroom and the key was expensive.
That's of course partly changed now. The lock part, not the expensive part. Macs are Unix now, and I spend as much time in the Unix shell as anywhere else on the Mac. PC's seem "locked" in comparison. But the more expensive part remains.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:54 PM

Thanks to all for the responses. I received my Macbook Pro 17 on Monday. I fussed with it all evening trying to get the screen resolution so I could read the text. Yesterday, I spent a lot of time on usegroups trying to get help. I've come to the understanding that it can't be done. I can't live with the small text size, so I'm returning the Macbook and starting over.

It's a shame...the computer is stunning. Wish I could see it.

Thanks,

John
Old 11-30-2011, 01:03 PM

You might consider an iMac rather than a Book. I've used one for several years.

As for software, Garageband is more-or-less equivalent to Reaper, with possibly more loops. Also, GB is designed for the Mac OS. Logic is more expensive, but offers more editing tools and power. It's also specific to Macs.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:56 PM

I've used GB and Logic fairly extensively. IMO the quality of the plug-ins that come with Logic are worth the cost alone. They are, IMO, much better than GarageBand's, but I do agree with other posters - you CAN get quality recordings out of GB.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

One of the problems with folks general input on DAW's is that each user is on a completely different level. What the package looks like in review the 1st year of use is utterly different in the 6th year of use.

In that I hesitate to compare GarageBand to Logic. Someone's gonna scream foul in that equation. However....if one is interested in a software DAW that acts primarily like an old tape machine (that is to say very little deep editing capabilities) I dunno how a Mac user can possibly beat GarageBand. It's simple, elegant, sturdy, hardy, has a very complete softsynth sound-set, decent and expandable FX's and costs little to nothing to get going.

There is a gent that posts here from time to time who's up in the bay area. They have a acoustic/bluegrass-ish/americana CD they did on Garageband. Their name escapes me at the moment but I'll post it when my brain gets engaged. A quick listen to their sample audio should shed plenty of light on what GB is capable of!
Think I might be the gent in question. Our little acoustic roots trio has been very pleased with the recordings we get with GarageBand on a MacBook Pro. You can find some clips from our CD if you're interested. www.therealplacebos.com

I've heard really good things about Logic as well but have been happy to stick with Garageband as it seems to cover our needs well enough.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
What is it about GarageBand that makes you dismiss it as amateur/hobby like?

I'd hope others just getting into home recording would not interpret the software as such. It is not.
You might want to re-read my posting.

Recording is a hobby for me and due to lack of technical know how and talent, all my recordings are very simple and extremely amateur. Since I am not a pro, I can't comment on what pros need in a software. So like I said, for my hobby and amateur needs, Garageband is more than sufficient.

Last edited by Sage97; 11-30-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
You might want to re-read my posting.

Recording is a hobby for me and due to lack of technical know how and talent, all my recordings are very simple and extremely amateur. Since I am not a pro, I can't comment on what pros need in a software. So like I said, for my hobby and amateur needs, Garageband is more than sufficient.
I thought that's what you meant but wasn't sure I just want to make sure that for the benefit of those wondering GarageBand is an extremely capable recording medium and shouldn't be considered a hobbiest platform.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD