The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Pier, Loved Your Song, Playing & Recorded Sound

Aloha Pier,

I really liked that clip you shared. Thank you. Your song, playing and recorded sound all worked for me. I didn't hear any STRONG booming or outstanding frequencies or problems in the recording, at least any that couldn't be tuned out.

Yes, you do have to learn your room, but also learn how to TUNE the sweet spots in your room for given pieces of music. It's the same with all the choices in recording - like for example, using different mics for fingerstyle and stummming pieces, understand?

I looked at the details of your bedroom and it's actually good you have a lot of stuff in there. Beds, drapes, furniture and carpeting are good things for recording spaces. An untreated, empty space is NOT desirable for recording.

But I hope you will take Doug's and my advice and check out Fran Guidry's site RE: DIY, portable room treatment using Owen's-Corning 703 fiberglass sheeting.

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...trying-to-fix/

And this.....

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...-on-the-cheap/

If you make 8-12 of those, & maybe add some bass traps in the corners, you'll be able to tame any space for any song. The best part is that they're self-supporting and you don't have to change your room or do any permanent remodelling to achieve the control you're after. When not using them, simply push 'em under the bed! It takes zero skill and a little bit of money to make these cheap acoustic panels. You can even make them look nice and they won't cost you anything close to the high prices of Auralex or other store bought panels.

It will make the largest difference to your recordings of all the variables. It should be the first thing any recordist does as he/she gets into it. I mean, you've probably read Doug's story of all he went through turning his garage into a guitar studio, right? Lots of great info there, Pier.

Here's a little piece that may give you an idea of how baffles could work for you. Check out the 30 second mark of this piece for some decent pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4d-BwkciOk

I'd probably hang a couple from the ceiling as well.

The main thing is the music, Pier. Just keep playing your whole life!

A Hui Hou!
alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 08-21-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Stuff in the rooms breaks up room nodes at the least and often absorbs or diffuses sounds. Then find the right places in the room to record.
Right, you definitely don't want an empty room, that's the worst case, unless it's acoustically treated. A well-furnished room may not match a pro recording space, but furniture - beds, couches, chairs, as well as carpet and drapes absorb. Bookcases, and just random stuff diffuses the sound - breaks it up so that there's less chance of a specific frequencies building up and resonating in the room.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD