The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Thanks sdelsolray.

I like the KM184s currently at home - a friend is lending it to me. The P28s look very interesting and right smack in my budget. I'll call the folks at 3 Zigma tomorrow as you and moon have indicated.

Would the Gefell M300 be a matched pair or can I mix it with my NTK for stereo? One M300 is not that far away from my budget but two would be stretching it.

FYI - whatever I end up with will go straight into my Apogee Duet.
Given the choices you are looking you should enjoy whatever you select. In that sense, just pick something and go with it. On the other hand, there is something to be said for actually trying out mics before purchase.

Consider used mics in excellent condition. Used pairs of Neumann KM184 typically run between $1,000 and $1,200 on eBay. The Gefell M300 is a great mic. Used pairs come up occasionally on eBay for a bit more.

Using a LD and an SD for recording solo guitar (or vocal accompaniment without the vocal being recorded at the same time) can work very well. There are no rules, per se.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:05 PM

Thanks again sdelsolray.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
An omni capsule would be nice too.
I'll say the omni cap rocks. I have only one MK-012, it's the first mic I ever owned (still do) and would be eager to get another one to do just as you said.
I will use a CAD M179 in conjunction with it as well, for multi-miking my guitar as well as M-S.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:19 AM

It does, but Mackie Preamps have always been pretty hard and bright. Don't know about this one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD