The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-04-2015, 08:14 AM

Default Power supply for small pedal board

Looking at updating/re-creating my pedalboard. I've got a 120v Morley wah/vol and PZ-Pre (15v) so can't combine the power for those with the other stuff.
The following are all 9v powered, and I would like to daisy chain the power supply, but reading varying reviews on many of the options when daisy chaining. I don't want buzzing/humming, which it seems converters like the 1-Spot produce.
Ditto x2 looper
Chorus
Delay
Tuner

Suggestions (with links) to what youuse? As inexpensive as possible, of course!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-04-2015, 08:58 AM
Cocobologist

If you want quality and quiet power, go with Voodoo Lab. To cover what you have now, you can go with the "ISO-5". Personally, I would recommend getting something with room to grow (Pedals are as addictive as guitars!).

I am currently running the "Pedal Power 2 Plus" on my board. It's compact, dead quiet, very versatile, and has plenty of ports. Also has 200w 120v AC output to add a power strip or additional power supply when you need more. Not inexpensive ($169 ASP), but reliable, clean and quiet power.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 11-04-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
If you want quality and quiet power, go with Voodoo Lab. To cover what you have now, you can go with the "ISO-5". Personally, I would recommend getting something with room to grow (Pedals are as addictive as guitars!).

I am currently running the "Pedal Power 2 Plus" on my board. It's compact, dead quiet, very versatile, and has plenty of ports. Also has 200w 120v AC output to add a power strip or additional power supply when you need more. Not inexpensive ($169 ASP), but reliable, clean and quiet power.
I agree with every word of this.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:23 PM

You both must have missd the 'as inexpensive as possible' part! $110 is WAY out of line.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

I run my pedals off a couple of 1-Spots (I have two boards). I've never had any trouble with noise. You can get one for $30 including the daisy-chain cable - I'd say it's worth a try, especially if you buy it from somewhere with a reasonable return policy.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-04-2015, 03:44 PM

I use a little Joyo power supply and it's been working fine for over two years. Cheap as it gets.

If you have a tuner like a Poly Tune or a Boss tuner you can get a daisy chain that goes from pedal to pedal. I run that on my top row of 5 pedals and there is no noise. The cheap Joyo's are nothing more then a daisy chain really but they do make isolated supplies too.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
You both must have missd the 'as inexpensive as possible' part! $110 is WAY out of line.
You must have forgotten what you wrote.

"Suggestions (with links) to what youuse? As inexpensive as possible, of course!"
Old 11-04-2015, 08:58 PM

I use a Onespot and don't notice any bad noise.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:56 AM
Cocobologist

Quote:
You can certainly go cheaper. You can buy a package of 9v batteries and keep the power isolated that way. Or, you can daisy chain your power with a One Spot and pray that every place you play has well grounded, power (The one spot itself is not grounded - two prong plug gives that away). Of course, one nick or break in the middle of the wire and the whole unit is shot. Don't worry, it has a warranty -- one year. You can also carry a spare -- As long as you have time to rewire your entire pedalboard.

The higher end units (Like Voodoo Lab) are certainly more expensive. No argument there. However, the extra money you spend on them provides several key benefits. High quality transformer, fully grounded system with each output electrically isolated from each other. That means you have clean and quiet power at the ready, and a noisy or power hungry pedal doesn't impact the others down the chain. Rugged, full metal housing can take a beating from heavy use without fear of cracking a lower cost plastic housing. Connector or cable goes bad (it happens...)? Simply and quickly replace the single cable, not the entire chain. Whole unit goes south? Five year warranty.

If you're just playing at home with no plans to venture out, I suppose a daisy chain power supply is "good enough". However, if you've spent good money on pro quality guitars, cables and effects with the intention of playing out, why compromise your signal path with a low end power supply? Sure, the Voodoo Lab is more expensive (ISO-5 is around $100) but, IMO, having confidence that your rig will work well every time you plug it in is reason enough to make the investment.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 11-05-2015, 09:54 AM

I use a tuner (Digitech Hardwire polyphonic tuner) with a daisy chain for the other three pedals. Since it is a small board, no undue noise issues.

The Voodoo Lab is useful on a bigger board but overkill IMO on a small board... since it adds weight and takes up space.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I run my pedals off a couple of 1-Spots (I have two boards). I've never had any trouble with noise. You can get one for $30 including the daisy-chain cable - I'd say it's worth a try, especially if you buy it from somewhere with a reasonable return policy.
I don't have a 1-Spot but I believe it's a special Boss power adaptor that plugs into my TU-2 Tuner pedal and then I can daisy chain it to other pedals. I've had it for years and I've never had any noise. There are a couple of Boss pedals that can power this.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:37 PM
Cocobologist

Whatever works for you is cool with me. My suggestions are really only that -- suggestions -- based on my experience.

If your budget's limited and you need something now, then go for the lower priced option. However, I've found over time (and a lot of wasted money) that buying budget products and expecting them to perform and last as well as higher quality products (at a corresponding higher price) is a losing proposition. You're better off in the long run by taking the short term financial hit and getting the good stuff.

A couple old adages...:

-- "Faster / Better / Cheaper. Pick any two."
-- "You can pay me now, or you can pay me later."
-- "The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Old 11-06-2015, 05:16 PM

Default Power supply for small pedal board

I am going to ignore the as cheap as possible part of the request and recommend Cioks DC10 - I can power my 9-12v Radial Vienna Chorus, all of my 9v pedals, my high current draw Flashback X4 and my 15v Tonebone Trimode from it. It is one of only three units I have come across that do a 15v supply. My tuner used to cause noise down the pedal chain but is now silent due to the excellent isolated outputs. It isn't cheap at all but the luxury of having to use just one power socket is awesome, it doesn't take up a huge amount of space on my board and does a great job.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-07-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Looking at updating/re-creating my pedalboard. I've got a 120v Morley wah/vol and PZ-Pre (15v) so can't combine the power for those with the other stuff.
The following are all 9v powered, and I would like to daisy chain the power supply, but reading varying reviews on many of the options when daisy chaining. I don't want buzzing/humming, which it seems converters like the 1-Spot produce.
Ditto x2 looper
Chorus
Delay
Tuner

Suggestions (with links) to what youuse? As inexpensive as possible, of course!

The One Spot will probably work perfectly with your 9 volt pedals but you need to try it and see for yourself.

Depends on the pedal. Some don't play nice together and some digital pedals need an isolated power source like a 9 volt battery or Voodoo Labs Pedal Power provides. Some don't.

You're still going to need a Wall Wart or something for that 15 v. pedal though.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 11-07-2015, 02:41 PM

Voodo lab or DC Brick.

Why mess with that cheap crap, seriously. Don't skimp here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars