The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-09-2015, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Now you've done it: I want to go play the ES-335 through the Tweed Deluxe and I want some of my wife's apple pie...

How did you do that?
that could be tricky, eating and playing at the same tie
Old 09-09-2015, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rope View Post
Does anyone have experience with the Washburn offerings?
Washburn HB-35 owner here.
I got it about two years ago, my first electric guitar.
It's a pretty good guitar for the price. I would recommend it.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:52 AM

I'd look at Epi's and Eastman.

I'd get one with humbucking pickups that are the same size as Gibsons.

Then you can upgrade to better pickups relatively easily.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 09-10-2015, 09:10 AM

Early 80's Japanese Epi's are good....I've got a '81 Emperor TH that does it all. Those Yamaha SA 2000's from the same time are great....going up in price though, but every now and then you find one on the cheap. Japanese Elitists....cool too.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjr50 View Post
I own an Epi ES-339, well my son does and pretty blown away with it.
A couple years ago, I test drove one for my son, who was 11 at the time. It tested out really really well!

The only reason I didn't get it for him, is that there was too much going on electronically with the one we looked at. Tons of bells and whistles. Piezo and such.

Got him a very simple used slab Les Paul junior knockoff with two knobs and a three way switch from Jackson USA that he loves to this day.

But I think about that 339 from time to time. Yes I do... I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I was looking at an import semi-hollow from Ibanez, Gretsch, Yamaha, etc. I mean if you want something that looks like a Gretsch, it isn't for you. But otherwise? Winner.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

I recently took home a new Gretsch 5620T-CB, another model in the series Steve mentions above. That's a semi-hollow thinline with a Super HiLo'Tron Humbucker at the neck and a Black Top Filter'Tron Humbucker at the bridge from my local shop/dealer. I love it. Excellent quality build, very playable neck and fretboard, great range of tones via an old school-type 14-watt Push-Pull Class A tube amp. I'm mostly a fingerpicker, play some slide. More info from Gretsch site:

http://www.gretschguitars.com/produc...georgia-green/

Good luck in your search!

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 09-10-2015, 10:09 AM

so many guitars, so little time....
Old 09-10-2015, 04:45 PM

Default ES 335 Style Guitars

I bought an Epi 335 Pro that kills. I gave it a set up and it's the best guitar value I have seen on something new. The Pro model gives you better pickups than the regular Dot models. I have no desire to change the pickups or electronics. I have owned 2 Dots also. If you catch them on sale you cannot beat the value. I will probably buy the 339 too...just for variation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Epiphone Sheratons are really sweet guitars, depending on the year and the country of manufacture. Shop around on the Internet for used ones. The ones made in Korea are generally the best -- after the ones made in USA in the 60s.
Love my Korean Sheraton. Heavy but the neck is great.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Love my Korean Sheraton. Heavy but the neck is great.
gorgeous guitar - the decorative headstock alone is worth the price of admission - the Joe Pass has the same...flawless
Old 09-11-2015, 11:53 PM

I've one of the 80s "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons. Probably Korean/Samik bus I gather some were made in Japan. Don't really care as it is a great guitar.

TW
Old 09-15-2015, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

I am way too much a hollow body lover. I wish my budget supported my desire to have every one I like.

I picked up a blemished Glen Burton that I figured to gut and replace practically everything but the woodwork. I've had it about a year and I haven't felt the need to do anything to it.

I've had Epi Dots and they are super value for money. Epi also makes their dogear P90 hollow body called the Wildkat. Don't discount the Wildkat. It's really fun and very comfortable to play.

If you prefer a chunky neck more like an acoustic, the SX version of the 335, sold by Rondo Music, is a nicely made guitar.

I also have an Epi 335 Pro, Asian woodwork with some American guts in it and coil splitting on both pickups. It's a very capable guitar and for a first electric, it will give you some nice single coil tones that will, at least temporarily, keep you from wanting a Strat too. ;-)

Old 09-16-2015, 06:27 AM

There was a good review of semi-hollow guitars in the July 2015 issue of Guitar Player. The Epiphone Wildkat and Washburn HB-45 received really positive reviews. The Sheraton is also very nice. I would also look at the Gretsch "Center Block" series models like the G-5620 and G-5622. If you can manage a couple of hundred more dollars, the Guild Starfires, The Reverend Manta Ray and Ibanez Artstar, and Gibson Midtown deserve consideration. Buying used is always your best option to maximize quality and minimize expenditure.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:23 PM

As far as 335 style guitars go I own an 83 Ibanez Am 205 and a Yamah SA 2200. Both high quality semi hollows. I also own a Les Paul, and an Ibanez AR series solid body. Frankly I think we make to much out of the perceived differences between semi hollows and solid bodies. The fact is that a semi hollow is, after all, nothing more than a solid wood core with a pair of decorative hollow wings attached to the solid center block. To my ears I've never heard a whole lot of difference between the two. If it were my bucks I'd worry less about solid vs. semi and make my choice based on more important criteria. Not saying that you shouldn't buy a semi. Just that the fact that it's a semi or solid body shouldn't be the most important consideration.

Last edited by DESERTRAT1; 09-20-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:19 AM

I'd say look at Ibanez. I bought an AM73 for a mere 400 bucks. It sounded as nice or nicer than any of the Epiphones I looked at and I didn't like the Epi necks at all. They all had a thick, gloss finish with a lot of friction.
The neck on the Ibanez (evidently a bit of a trademark with the brand...) was slick and fast....Felt remarkably like the neck on my Taylor.
And....Only 400 bucks.

Seriously considering upgrading to one of the nicer Artcore models.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars