The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-01-2015, 11:25 AM

Default Terrific article by Frank Falbo on pots & caps...

Check it out: http://www.premierguitar.com/article...-and-pot-trade

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 11-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Thanks! Very useful!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-01-2015, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

How nice to see an objective article on the subject, absent the usual dose of myth and conjecture.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-01-2015, 07:39 PM

It is a good article, but I do wish he hadn't undercut his own credibility by stating, "For demo purposes, I’ve used Russian paper-in-oil capacitors." In his own words, it doesn't matter, so why even mention it?

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:48 PM

Thank you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrynx View Post
It is a good article, but I do wish he hadn't undercut his own credibility by stating, "For demo purposes, I’ve used Russian paper-in-oil capacitors." In his own words, it doesn't matter, so why even mention it?
I didn't think I said it doesn't matter. Forgive me if the way it was written caused a misunderstanding.

What I meant was that while players might prefer certain types of capacitors, I didn't want (or have space) to discuss behavioral differences between capacitor types/dielectrics. PG requested content on the values. But just as I disclosed the potentiometer types I used, I also mentioned the capacitor types.

It would be like discussing differences in string gauges, but using (and disclosing) one particular brand for the entire illustration.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo View Post
I didn't think I said it doesn't matter. Forgive me if the way it was written caused a misunderstanding.
You wrote, "But the comments here about relative capacitor values apply, regardless of cap material." I interpreted that to mean that only the actual capacitance, and not the the capacitor components, affect the circuit's resonance, and that therefore the components don't matter. I apologize if I misinterpreted that statement.

Quote:
What I meant was that while players might prefer certain types of capacitors, I didn't want (or have space) to discuss behavioral differences between capacitor types/dielectrics. PG requested content on the values. But just as I disclosed the potentiometer types I used, I also mentioned the capacitor types.

It would be like discussing differences in string gauges, but using (and disclosing) one particular brand for the entire illustration.
But the unavoidable implication is that there's a reason for choosing PIO capacitors (the least expensive I've found are about US$2.00 apiece) in preference to polyester film caps (available for about US$0.10).

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
You wrote, "But the comments here about relative capacitor values apply, regardless of cap material." I interpreted that to mean that only the actual capacitance, and not the the capacitor components, affect the circuit's resonance, and that therefore the components don't matter. I apologize if I misinterpreted that statement.
Right, I only mean that what happens when you go up and/or down in capacitor value is applicable regardless of your favorite cap material; the resonant peak shift transcends the dielectric material.

Quote:
But the unavoidable implication is that there's a reason for choosing PIO capacitors (the least expensive I've found are about US$2.00 apiece) in preference to polyester film caps (available for about US$0.10).
Not sure it's unavoidable though it could be inferred. I personally [I]like[I] PIO caps, but another reason I used them was because I had all the values in my shop, within a very tight tolerance.

While $0.10 vs $2.00 is a large percentage increase, with only 1 or 2 capacitors on each guitar it's still a very small investment if you believe the capacitor type is worth exploring.

I will admit, many people don't hear the differences in capacitor types. Other's don't care about the small difference because its something they seldom use. But sometimes, someone changes from one capacitor type to another, and what they're mostly hearing is tolerance drift between the two. In other words, with a 10% tolerance part, one .047uF capacitor could read .042uF, while the other is .051. That would be very audible. If the end user mistakenly ascribes that sonic difference to the capacitor type then he/she has just taught themselves a falsehood.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:47 PM

Bookmarked it for later. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:34 AM

I like Paper-in-Oil caps too although I'm not always certain I can actually hear a difference.

More like I can "sense" a difference and I'm not really certain of that.

I don't own any 50's Gibsons anymore, but the reissue Gibsons I've played that have PiO caps often do seem to have more of a woody, plucky sound than those with plastic or ceramic caps.

My year 2000 ES-335 sounds more like what I remember my 50's ES-335's sounding like and we did use PiO caps when we replaced the wiring harness in that year 2000 guitar.

But I've given up worrying about such things.

I use 'em if I have 'em and at least then I know I know that I'm covered just in case my instincts are right.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 11-04-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
.....But sometimes, someone changes from one capacitor type to another, and what they're mostly hearing is tolerance drift between the two. In other words, with a 10% tolerance part, one .047uF capacitor could read .042uF, while the other is .051. That would be very audible. If the end user mistakenly ascribes that sonic difference to the capacitor type then he/she has just taught themselves a falsehood.
Excellent point.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars