The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-19-2019, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Default ToneDexter Again

We haven't had a good TDex thread in a while. Well I went to an Open Mic last night @ "The Outta Space" in Berwyn, IL. And here's a video of one of my new songs performed on my new Eastman E1SS with a factory UST run through the ToneDexter direct into the house system. This wave map I used a Shure KSM32 mic to create the wave map. - Sounds almost EXACTLY like the guitar un-amplified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZOTP522ngg&t=6s

Last edited by Marshall; 07-19-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:31 PM

I wish I could get mine figured out. Seems to be a feedback thing for me. I was hoping this would be a way to avoid feedback and still get a good town. I use K&K pickups I guess I'm not solving the problem at all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
We haven't had a good TDex thread in a while. Well I went to an Open Mic last night @ "The Outta Space" in Berwyn, IL. And here's a video of one of my new songs performed on my new Eastman E1SS with a factory UST run through the ToneDexter direct into the house system. This wave map I used a Shure KSM32 mic to create the wave map. - Sounds almost EXACTLY like the guitar un-amplified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZOTP522ngg&t=6s
Old 07-19-2019, 05:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
I wish I could get mine figured out. Seems to be a feedback thing for me. I was hoping this would be a way to avoid feedback and still get a good town. I use K&K pickups I guess I'm not solving the problem at all
ToneDexter will improve the sound, but does not make the pickup much more feedback resistant. It is fairly neutral in that department.

K&Ks are often very feedback prone, with or without a ToneDexter.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 07-19-2019, 06:13 PM

Having gigged with a TD a lot now all I can say is that it the best - and easiest to come by - sound you will get from a preamp.
Martin J40
Old 07-19-2019, 06:21 PM

I never heard of them until joining this forum, someone suggested one if you're running a piezo pickup as I am. So what's the deal with these, why are they better than so many others?
Old 07-19-2019, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
K&K's are good, for sure. But all SBTs can be susceptible to feedback. The beauty of the TD is it can take a proletariat UST, like the Fishman Sonicore/Sonitine, that is factory installed in the Eastman, and make it sound like your acoustic guitar. USTs are more feedback resistant that SBTs.

It's a game changer in my book.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.loseth View Post
I never heard of them until joining this forum, someone suggested one if you're running a piezo pickup as I am. So what's the deal with these, why are they better than so many others?
There are no others. ToneDexter is the only device where you create a wavemap (essentially an IR) from your own instrument, using your own microphone and controlling the exact setup. The Fishman Aura system is probably the closest thing, although unless you sent in your guitar to Fishman, you still have to use 'the closest' sound to your own guitar. (I'm not sure Fishman is even offering to sample your guitar anymore.)

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-19-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Have you tried the notch filter? I find that can go a long way towards suppressing feedback.

Also, where you have the Character knob set can affect feedback. Try CH0/CH1/CH2 and also the blend option on the counterclockwise portion (percentage of CH0 relative to pickup signal).

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-19-2019, 06:55 PM

Great performance! I’ll try and come out there for the next open mic!
Old 07-19-2019, 07:11 PM

Yes, a little can go a long way!

Hey, on the TD in general, I thought every acoustic guitarist would have one by now. I bought mine last year when the new model came out and gushed to everyone, so I have done my bit to spread the word. Frankly, I can’t believe the stupid comments I get sometimes...but I can see now that people are a bit scared of black boxes and terrified of red ones!

And then they start another thread where the pickup is..........etc, etc, etc. Just get the TD, work it out and don’t leave home without it!

Now, apart from the proscribed uses for the TD, mine is full and I started wandering off course. So you wouldn’t probably buy it for this but I have discovered the preamp is fantastic in its own right with the wavefiles turned OFF. A quality sound and a DI! As a disappointed user of various objects with ‘bass’ and ‘treble’ knobs that don’t seem to do much, the controls on the TD are just great. For example, I have run some K&K guitars through Bypass with the Bass cut below nine o’clock, say, and the treble about the same and it is all anyone with a K&K ever wanted for eq really.....the impedance match of the pre is also great for K&Ks. So then I bought a Taylor GP 717e with the ES2 and I use the exact same settings as the K. Voila! Sounds great. I am going to superglue the settings! THEN I made a wavemap with a condenser and also with my Shure SM57 and I like both. Switching getween them is like changing pickups on a Tele....bridge sound with the 57 wave, neck sound with the condenser wave.

AND...I also like using my Matons with their superb pickup system plugged direct in Bypass for the extra control and DI!

Bring it on! Thanks James!

BluesKing777.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Have you tried engaging the notch filter? The one time I had feedback issues that helped.You might also try a sound hole plug.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-20-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Have you tried engaging the notch filter? The one time I had feedback issues that helped.You might also try a sound hole plug.
Small tip - if you haven't already got one, install an RTA (real time analyser) on your phone. If you can induce the feedback without frying your PA system the RTA will show you exactly which frequency to cut. It's pretty basic but easier (and possibly cheaper) than doing it by ear/trial and error.

SH plug also a good suggestion.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:04 AM

Thank you for that suggestion I will try that. As far as the sound hole plug Goes, does the town Dexter get impacted very negatively by that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Small tip - if you haven't already got one, install an RTA (real time analyser) on your phone. If you can induce the feedback without frying your PA system the RTA will show you exactly which frequency to cut. It's pretty basic but easier (and possibly cheaper) than doing it by ear/trial and error.

SH plug also a good suggestion.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

I have one guitar with a UST and a few others with a K&K mini.

I found that the tonedexter worked wonders on my UST equipped guitar.
With the K&K equipped guitars it also showed a nice improvement but not as much as with the UST guitar.

I recently picked up a guitar with a lyric installed so the tonedexter is now on its way to a new home
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 07-20-2019, 06:23 AM

With my K&K equipped guitar, a soundhole plug makes no discernible different in amplified tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification