The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-22-2019, 08:05 PM

It's a tough one. At first, i would bring multiple rigs to make sure I had enough for the venue. But after enough gigs, I dialed things in a bit:

Roland AC-33 - small (10-15 people) private events/weddings

AER Compact 60 - good for most wine rooms, gatherings where it's confined to one room

Schertler Roy - He's the bazooka (although an incredible sounding bazooka) that quite elegantly cuts through crowd noise. So for anything over 75 people of where people are dispersed (like on a lawn, or between several rooms), Roy is my man!
Old 07-23-2019, 09:43 PM

My two main amps are my Elite Acoustics D6-8 for small intimate spaces and my Schertler Roy for anything that needs more power. If I’m in doubt (like tonight’s gig), I bring the Roy.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:47 AM

not sure if anyone mentioned this:
The Schertler Unico is the best acoustic amp I've had by far , and I've had pretty much all of the name brands. I plug my guitar and vocals in and go.
Its built like a tank and sounds incredible. I've played fairly large rooms ( restaurant/bars) with it and had no problems. Has multiple line outs if there is PA to run through.
Im in no way affiliated, just a very happy customer-thought id pass info along
Good luck with whichever direction you chose!
https://secure.schertler.com/en-US/s...plifiers/unico
Old 07-26-2019, 04:59 PM

Default Amp vs PA

When it comes to acoustic guitars, the best amplification will be the same as a singer needs. A real PA system will always be the most natural and flexible. I decided I also wanted a floor amp for small intimate venues. After trying many popular brands I found that most can produce a fairly decent guitar sound, but very few had the EQ needed for a singer. While most had input for singers...hardly any had more than a 2 or 3 band EQ. 2 band EQ makes it hard to dial in a quality vocal sound. I ended up getting a Behringer Acoustasonic 180 watt with dedicated 9 band EQ for both channels. It works well for me for crowds 50-75 , but they don't sound great,and will feed back if you push the volume for crowd larger than that. PA speakers on stands placed ahead of you would be better for large crowds. Having both is the best option for me.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:24 PM

Final tally (if there ever is a gear final tally) ...

a Fishman Loudbox Artist

Shure beta 87a mic

TC Helicon Play Acoustic pedal for vocals and guitar

Mogami Gold xlr cables

Hercules MS401B mic stand

There's room to add a QSC CP8 if it ever gets there.

Gator 15 x 15 mixer bag which will hold all the loose stuff.

I'm anxious to see how much of a room the Artist will fill up.

Fender PM-3 Deluxe 000

'62 Silvertone Archtop
Old 07-19-2021, 05:26 PM

Hi. I’m curious about the Compact 60 to the cp8. Did you use the di or the line out? Also, how was the voicing of the cp8 vs the Compact 60. Were they close? Thanks
Old 07-20-2021, 02:52 PM

Default Sizing the wattage

I hope this question is not too simple, but the OP's original question seemed to beg this one:

Is there a simple relationship between wattage of the sound system and the number of persons in the venue?

I was thinking of a rule of thumb, like 1 watt per person. (living room with 5 people suggesting a 5 watt amp, diner/bar seating 100 suggesting 100 watts, 500 seat performance hall suggesting 500 watts. Or is a simple ratio too simple?

Or square footage to watts or distance to the back of the room or some other easily estimated measure to suggest the wattage?

Edited to add: Of course, I realize there are other factors to take into account; e.g. an amp on the floor vs the same amp mounted high up will reach further (the audience's bodies absorbing sound unless the speaker/amp projects over their heads) and reflective/absorptive walls will make a difference, too.)

Last edited by Lost Sheep; 07-20-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
I hope this question is not too simple, but the OP's original question seemed to beg this one:

Is there a simple relationship between wattage of the sound system and the number of persons in the venue?

I was thinking of a rule of thumb, like 1 watt per person. (living room with 5 people suggesting a 5 watt amp, diner/bar seating 100 suggesting 100 watts, 500 seat performance hall suggesting 500 watts. Or is a simple ratio too simple?

Or square footage to watts or distance to the back of the room or some other easily estimated measure to suggest the wattage?
I didn't follow this thread all the way through, but one problem with trying to use watts as a match for venue is that there's no real standard that all manufacturers use for watts specs. There are threads on this board in which User A says Amp#1 has lower stated watts but sounds louder than Amp#2. And though I'm no expert, I think a more efficient design in one unit could sound louder than a less efficient design with higher stated watts.

The other variable is what kind of audience you're playing for, and it makes a huge difference. A Bose L1 Compact that would be fine for background music in a laid-back venue of X square feet, but get totally buried when the same room is filled with drinkers and dancers letting loose on a Saturday night.

I'm no expert but I use spl (sound pressure level stated in decibels or db) when very roughly comparing amps and PAs. I'm not aware of a straightforward forumla there either.

Last edited by Chriscom; 07-20-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:59 PM

Default Acoustic Amp Size for Venue

I saw a friend play at a bar the other day. It was a pretty decent sized room, maybe 1500 sq ft. With stage in the corner and pool tables in the back. He was using a Fishman Artist, which is an honest 120 watts, and it was on the floor angled up. Not a whole lot of people in the place: maybe 20. I was amazed at how well it covered the place and how good it sounded. In fact, this experience helped push me over the edge in ordering the Elite Acoustics D6-58 which is about the same size and power.

Last edited by lkingston; 07-20-2021 at 11:13 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification