The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 07:34 PM

Just magnificent!
Old 06-13-2015, 04:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
I REALLY like this. The depth in color is incredible, a very rich guitar.
Thanks JJI,

I think it's interesting how the black can make just a little bit of Koa stand out so much, not to mention what it does to abalone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradfie View Post
Really great photography Mark.

The colors of the rosette in some of your shots made me think of Christmas.

Awesome guitar!
Thanks dbradfie,

I tried hard to do some new set ups for these last pictures. I find it much harder to shoot pictures of finished guitars. It's difficult to control all of the reflections. I've learned some new tricks in the process though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
Whoa... happy Friday.

It seems as though one could dive into that back, it's both monolithic and inviting.

In terms of understated bling, I feel it shines in the right places and amounts.

Awesome work.
Thanks dcn!

That black does look like it could just suck you in! When you actually holding the guitar you can see a little bit of grayer streaking. I didn't want to try to dye that out because I think it shows that the guitar wasn't painted black. But it's beyond a camera to pick that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Mark,

It is an outstandingly beautiful guitar on so many levels including the fret board inlay, your color choices, the headstock design etc. As far as understated bling, I kind of think the way the abalone jumps off the dark sides and back, the rosette, etc. I can't say understated, I think this is real bling. That does not mean it is too much on this guitar because it really really works, but I can't go with understated, I just have to call it bling. I hope that is OK with you.

Tom
Sure that's OK TomB'sox!

I guess I was comparing it to guitars that just seem encrusted with abalone etc. I was hoping to keep the abalone there to add some color and to show off the shape of the guitar not obscure it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
Where do I start? That is such a magnificent piece. Probably the nicest body shape I've seen in a decade. Good grief!
Thank-you David,

Best body shape in a decade? That's a real compliment! I really struggled to design a parlor shape that I liked. I'm glad others like it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross748 View Post
Just magnificent!
Thank you very much ross748!

Here are a few more pictures of the finished guitar including a few of my more "standard" shots:

Thanks for Viewing!

Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 06-13-2015, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
Where do I start? That is such a magnificent piece. Probably the nicest body shape I've seen in a decade. Good grief!
Can't argue with that!

How does it sound? I've been itching to try a African Ebony guitar at sometime.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh2 View Post
Can't argue with that!

How does it sound? I've been itching to try a African Ebony guitar at sometime.
I have Mike Neverisky coming over this morning so I can get some sound clips.
I was wonderfully surprised how good it sounded! It is one of my best! Great tone, balance, nothing lost in the bass on this small guitar. The sustain is awesome. I'll try my best to capture a good recording today. It's difficult for me to write about the tonal characteristics of my individual guitars and when I really like them I'm afraid my enthusiasm sounds like a sales pitch!
We'll let the recording do the talking.
Now if I could just find a way to record playability and comfort!

Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 06-13-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
I have Mike Neverisky coming over this morning so I can get some sound clips.
I was wonderfully surprised how good it sounded! It is one of my best! Great tone, balance, nothing lost in the bass on this small guitar. The sustain is awesome. I'll try my best to capture a good recording today. It's difficult for me to write about the tonal characteristics of my individual guitars and when I really like them I'm afraid my enthusiasm sounds like a sales pitch!
We'll let the recording do the talking.

Mark
Interesting that you bring this up Mark. Last night I played for three hours non-stop and it occurred to me that I easily could have gone on longer. The easy action and lightweight of your guitars, in combination with the narrow waist, makes them a joy to play.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 06-13-2015, 06:52 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Be glad to provide a reference anytime you need it. I find the most difficult thing with your guitars is putting them down.

Congrats on the Pina. Pretty much beyond words. Love it!
Old 06-13-2015, 11:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Last night I played for three hours non-stop and it occurred to me that I easily could have gone on longer. The easy action and lightweight of your guitars, in combination with the narrow waist, makes them a joy to play.
Thanks for the endorsements ukejon and cigarfan!

Here is a YouTube I just put up so you can hear it. It's a flat recording with no effects added:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoCTJwzM7j0

I have put this guitar up for sale in the MarketPlace along with more specific information on it's specs:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...97#post4530697

Thanks for checking it out!
Mark

Old 06-13-2015, 01:44 PM

What a beautiful sound! Awesome little guitar. I can't imagine this being around long.

Mark, your making me rethink my September build. Sounds like you can get tone to spare from any of your guitar sizes.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:51 PM

Beautiful sound, great song selection to highlight the sound of this guitar. It really allows one to hear the sustain and overtones....that is so important to me when listening for tones...

now WHERE did that bass come from in that little body. Fantastic work Mark, aesthetically and phonically.

Tom
Old 06-13-2015, 02:05 PM

I just listened again, is it possible it sounds better than the first listen...what sustain and base, but balanced across the whole spectrum. Man or man I wish I had a some extra moolah hanging around!!!!
Old 06-13-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Beautiful sound, great song selection to highlight the sound of this guitar. It really allows one to hear the sustain and overtones....that is so important to me when listening for tones...

now WHERE did that bass come from in that little body. Fantastic work Mark, aesthetically and phonically.

Tom
No kidding! That is amazing.....but I'll let you all know in a couple days after I get to PLAY IT at Mark's shop!

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment

Last edited by ukejon; 06-13-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Where does the bass come from?

Thanks for the feedback on my newest model! In my effort to get more bass I made a very thin active back. By making a well tuned flexible back the body resonance is lowered. It's a great way to squeeze additional bass from a smaller volume body.

Where does the sustain come from? First I'll say it doesn't come from the short 24.75" string scale length. It doesn't come from the relatively soft Engelmann top. It doesn't come from the lightweight open headstock. Using heavy Ebony helps. Having a Koa neck helps. One thing that doesn't seem to be a fashionable idea on this forum that I believe helps is a heavy tail block. The weight back there is a great way to balance the guitar to hold but additionally helps with that sustain. Having a loud responsive top helps simply because you hear the string vibrate longer.

Thanks!
Mark

Old 06-13-2015, 05:48 PM

I'm very impressed. I would have never thought a parlor would have sounded like that.

Ever think of applying the methods to make a jumbo out of a medium sized guitar?
Old 06-14-2015, 05:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I'm very impressed. I would have never thought a parlor would have sounded like that.

Ever think of applying the methods to make a jumbo out of a medium sized guitar?
Thanks s2y,

I often apply these methods and more all the time. It's really all about fine tuning the sound you are hoping to achieve with the model and materials that have been selected. Ideally, the model and materials are already in line with your goals but, there are many ways to work to your targets in the build process.

Thanks Again,
Mark

Old 06-14-2015, 07:02 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Excellent bass and clarity. Sustain superb. Nothing boxy there and not too many parlors can boast that.

Congrats Mark. And kudos to Mr. Neverisky ... nice playing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop