The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-17-2001, 08:07 PM

Cool I played not one GSGW, but two!

You guys knew it was coming ... I've been looking at my very poor pictures of a GSGW I saw on tour ... reciting its serial number for days ... dreamt about it ... imagined how it would sound ... called my dealer several times ... went there a couple times ... just to torture myself.

But now, it's here! And my dealer did not just get one ... he had another one I could play and look at as well. But my heart was set on the one I saw on tour and that is the one I decided to bring home.

I sadly parted with another guitar, which I will miss ... but it's also one of the ones I play seldom ... and it's a guitar that deserves to be loved and played so much more than I have. I'm sure it will give someone many hours of happiness when it finds the right home.

As for me ... tonight I won't be taking pictures of any guitars. I'll let you know how it A/B's to some other guitars (I'm really curious how it compares to Brazilian and Macassar Ebony). So you'll just have to go by the old pictures I took ... or you can ask Shea what he thinks of it.

BTW, Shea ... you still haven't told us about your 514c. It sure is a gorgeous one ... a beautiful cedar top and really nice mahogany body.
Old 04-18-2001, 12:47 AM

I just finished some A/Bing the GSGW ... it's nothing like rosewood (Brazilian or Indian) with it's characteristic rich and deep tone and incredible sustain, which will continue to be a favored wood here.

It has more the quality of Macassar Ebony ... which has more even tone ... very clear and distinct.

I don't think Ziricote is a replacement for Brazilian Rosewood, but it definitely is a nice tone wood. I'd like to hear what a Macassar Ebony Taylor sounds like.

I ended just playing my K-14c (I'm still in a koa mood, even though I was having so much fun with the GSGW and my rosewood guitars) ... Tim set it up perfectly ... I think it's staying for awhile.
Old 04-18-2001, 12:59 AM

Boy Mary, that is one beautiful guitar! The detail work is absolutely incredible and I really liked the figuring of the Ziricote. Bob thought it was only fair that I got to see your guitar before you since you got to see mine before me. He unknowingly pulled out #20 first, then realized that you wanted #09. So he looked around until he found it. I must say you made a great choice. I didn't think that it could look any nicer than the other one but it did. I would have played #20 today but I just didn't have the time. I hope it is still there next time I come back.

Shea
Old 04-18-2001, 01:40 AM

Well, actually, I did see my guitar before you ... I saw it at the factory! #20 is a beautiful guitar. Too bad I couldn't get two Gray Whales ... oh, well ... now I just have to wait for the next in the Gallery Series ...

Bob was probably confused when I got there and started looking at them. Here I was, telling him how this guitar just floored me, and I just started into my normal critical look at both guitars ... looking at the grain on the tops, sides, and backs and commenting on them. Then A/Bing them against each other as well as the guitar I brought in as trade.

It kind of surprised me as well (especially with the initial reaction I had to it at Taylor), but I suppose it's just the mindset I have when I walk into Buffalo Brothers, especially when I _know_ I'm going to get to bring home a guitar I've been waiting for since the beginning of the year.

Anyway, I got there at 2:45 ... sorry I missed you. But I'm glad you got your guitar. I still remember the day I got my first Taylor. That's a day I'll never forget.
Old 04-18-2001, 10:54 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Sounds like an incredible guitar! Which one did you trade in?

J.R.
Old 04-18-2001, 12:29 PM

Well, JR ... I quite reluctantly gave up the Goodall EP-14 ... I was looking longingly at it as I left the store. But as I said before, it doesn't get played even half as much as it should.

Well, I'm going to go play my K-14c ... I'm just not in the Ziricote mood ... I'm still stuck on koa ... and when I'm in a koa mood, I really have a one track mind. Actually, maybe I'll go take some pictures ... naw ... I can take pictures after I play ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification