The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-08-2019, 06:32 AM

Default Pickups for new Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe with carbon fiber bridge plate

I played last night with the Lyric in the D-28 Modern Deluxe. It sounded good from my vantage point. It was relatively flat sounding through the PA when located directly on the top nearer to the sound hole. I did not use the preamp pedal I bought with because I didn’t think it was needed after sounds check.

I guess the best compliment I could offer the Lyric is that I forgot I was playing amplified. I hardly noticed it. Some of my musician friends were there. They didn’t mention the guitar tone, but they liked the music. The audience evidently like it too. So, while I didn’t get any direct feedback on the setup, I guess my mission was accomplished. Either that or it sounded terrible and I have nice friends. ;-)
Old 07-08-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I played last night with the Lyric in the D-28 Modern Deluxe. It sounded good from my vantage point. It was relatively flat sounding through the PA when located directly on the top nearer to the sound hole. I did not use the preamp pedal I bought with because I didn’t think it was needed after sounds check.

I guess the best compliment I could offer the Lyric is that I forgot I was playing amplified. I hardly noticed it. Some of my musician friends were there. They didn’t mention the guitar tone, but they liked the music. The audience evidently like it too. So, while I didn’t get any direct feedback on the setup, I guess my mission was accomplished. Either that or it sounded terrible and I have nice friends. ;-)
So when will the next PUP be installed ????
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-08-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
So when will the next PUP be installed ????

Lol. Not sure. As soon as I have a bad gig? I only tested it in listening room environment. Who knows how it will work in a loud pub?
Old 07-19-2019, 07:39 AM

Posting an update. I tried the Lyric directly connected to the top near the X brace crossing. The Lyric did not sound good adhered to the carbon fiber bridge plate. Evidently, it sounds best connected to wood. But, at higher volumes, without a preamp pedal, I was getting some weird resonances. Adhering directly to the top behind the bridge plate may also sound OK, but I didn't think to try that before I decided to pull it out and try the Schatten HFN Active VT system that I had on hand. I put the HFN directly on the carbon fiber bridge plate and below the saddle line. Frankly, I like the sound of the HFN better after initial testing. For those experimenting with Lyric on these new Martin models, I would try adhering the Lyric mic to wood in different locations. You may end up with a good result. But, if you are starting from scratch and haven't purchased a pickup yet, you might want to try Schatten HFN first. It gives a good result and seems largely indifferent to the carbon fiber bridge plate.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Lol. Not sure. As soon as I have a bad gig? I only tested it in listening room environment. Who knows how it will work in a loud pub?
Apparently July 18th!
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-19-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Apparently July 18th!
I knew that was coming. :-)
Old 07-19-2019, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Watching this with great interest. Not because I have a modern Deluxe. I don't. But because I want to amplify my Martin Outlaw and remove the K&K PWM ...which to my ears sounds absolutely horrible. Muddy and dark. No matter how much I EQ it using a preamp. The only thing I haven't tried with it is the ToneDexter, but my pedalboard is nicely populated the way I like it. The tonedexter would be a complete revision I'm not sure I want to entertain.

So the Lyric was interesting .....since I am a Baggs Anthem fan. (Although I don't care for the Element VTC at all as a stand alone)

The Shatten HFN, if different enough from the K&K would be least intrusive and interesting to try. Does it require an internal battery pouch inside the guitar?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-19-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Watching this with great interest. Not because I have a modern Deluxe. I don't. But because I want to amplify my Martin Outlaw and remove the K&K PWM ...which to my ears sounds absolutely horrible. Muddy and dark. No matter how much I EQ it using a preamp. The only thing I haven't tried with it is the ToneDexter, but my pedalboard is nicely populated the way I like it. The tonedexter would be a complete revision I'm not sure I want to entertain.

So the Lyric was interesting .....since I am a Baggs Anthem fan. (Although I don't care for the Element VTC at all as a stand alone)

The Shatten HFN, if different enough from the K&K would be least intrusive and interesting to try. Does it require an internal battery pouch inside the guitar?
Schatten HFN can be installed passively (without battery). Since you already use a pedal board with a quality preamp that would not be a problem. In fact, HFN is probably the solution you should try next. The K&K and ToneDexter is potentially better sounding, but probably not enough to change your pedal board and affect your other guitars. Lyric is hit or miss. My batting average with Lyric is about .200. It was the right solution a few weeks ago because I was in a pinch. I wasn't planning to buy a new guitar and had a gig coming up and needed something I could trust and EQ. It worked out fine, but isn't the long term plug and play solution I want.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
The K&K and ToneDexter is potentially better sounding...
Even though it's more expensive, I suspect adding the ToneDexter would do more than changing the pickup. I have the K&K in my HD-28V, and I never plug it in without the ToneDexter.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-27-2019, 08:20 PM

I can report that the passive K&K pure mini in the Modern Deluxe D-28 is a winner. The Schatten HFN wouldn’t adhere well to the bridge plate. I’m not sure if I got bad tape or there is another problem. The K&K sounds as good as any K&K installation I’ve had to date. The HFN (when adhered well) had a more lively sound. But, the K&K is bulletproof and passive, and I really like the lighter weight and more even/flat response. If I add a little reverb, it sounds like the HFN. Initial performances have been very promising. Hopefully, this means I’m done swapping pickups for a while.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:35 AM

Did you use tape or glue to mount the K and K?
Old 03-05-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55tele View Post
Did you use tape or glue to mount the K and K?

I used super glue. A small amount. It sounded great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification