The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-08-2001, 02:58 PM
Jim

Post Has anyone seen or played a D-50?

I was looking at a photo of the new D-50s Martin has just released. These appear to be an exercise in seeing how much abalone can be inlaid on a guitar and still leave about a toothpick's worth of wood showing through. Apparently they are making an initial run of 50 of them and the list price was supposedly going to be $50,000. In that I've a lover of showy, gaudy guitars they've caught my eye, though I would never actually pay anything like that for just an acoustic. Has anyone actually seen one up close and played it? Are they just art works or do they actually play and sound good?
Old 02-08-2001, 08:14 PM

Talking

I'm holding out for the D-1000. A 100% abalone guitar. Even has abalone strings.
Old 03-06-2001, 12:54 AM

AAA--balone(y)!!
Old 04-18-2001, 11:26 AM

Jim,
I have been fortunate enough to actually see, hold and play a D50. It is a very well built guitar which is very ornate. It sounds as one would expect a high end Martin to sound, that is quite gorgeous. They all are sold at present.
Best regards,
Steve Stallings
Forum Host:The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification