The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-20-2001, 12:33 AM

Post 712 and choice of tops

Hi wise Taylor owners. I have pretty much decided on a 712 (no CE). I called the nice people down south near Mexico way, and they said I could order my choice of Engelmann spruce, Sitka spruce or Cedar. What's fingerpicker who also strums to do? I would appreciate all opinions and experiences. Thanks from Boulder.
Old 04-20-2001, 10:57 AM

Joe,

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my 714 with an Engleman top. So I haven't owned, or even played one! So take this with a grain - no, a spoonful - of salt...

My choice is a bit of a gamble, which is making me a little nervous. But in a nutshell, here's why I chose Engleman:

- already have a cedar guitar of another breed. I like cedar, it sounds wonderful, and it looks beautiful. But it's soft, and my technique isn't the cleanest, and I'm afraid my guitar would look like Willie Nelson's in a year. (On my satin-finished cedar, I've worn through the finish and am currently eroding the wood itself!) I'm sure a Taylor would handle it BETTER, but it's still soft. So I decided on spruce.

- So, which spruce? I also play a combination of fingerstyle and moderate strumming. I'm expecting (hoping?) the Engleman will be a little better in tone and response for fingerstyle, closer to cedar than sitka would have been. But it will also stand up to my moderate strumming as well. If my playing leaned more toward strumming than fingerstyle, or if I tended to strum more agressively, I probably would have chosen sitka, which I think can stand up to it better. (But regardless of the top, a x12 or x14 is a small body, not the premier choice for agressive strumming.)

~ Paul
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification