The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2020, 11:00 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I have 4 dreads, but one is an all hog Guild D-120 cutaway, one is an inexpensive Washburn that I almost never play, one is a D-55 that I retired from playing and the last one is my Martin D-16gt. I play the Martin less than the D-120. Their tone and feel are quite different even though they share the label "dreadnaught." My other guitars are a slope dread, again, totally different than the other dreads and the rest of my guitars are unique body styles that I don't have duplicates of.

Guitars can have the same body style and share the same woods, but still be vastly different, especially if they are from different builders.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-16-2020, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Sure do, different brands & different woods.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Sure do, different brands & different woods.
+1. That way they all bring a little something different.

I have a couple Taylor GAs but different series (300 and BTO) and different woods. They both sound like a Taylor and both sound very different.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:15 AM
Guest 33123

My 5 are different:

Do what you like!
Old 02-16-2020, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I've currently got 3 OM/000's in my stable. Simple logic would dictate that I really don't need 3 of the same style guitar.
Well - your first mistake is to assume simple logic has anything to do with this - if it did, there wouldn’t be forums like this -

Over a dozen years, I’ve ended up with maybe 10(?) model Fs from Santa Cruz - all but one used. There are one or two that are pretty close to being duplicates, but there are enough differences between the rest that I don’t have a problem hanging onto them. 2 are 12 strings (1 maple, 1 walnut) 3 have carved backs (maple/cedar, maple/sitka, granadillo/redwood), 1 koa/koa, 3 “beaters” I gig with (koa, maple, eir) and another maple w/o cutaway - that one I could probably sell since it doesn’t come out often, but I doubt anyone would pay me what I feel its worth, or even what I paid for it. And actually, thats probably true about all of them - someday, I’ll have to deal with it all. But not right now -

I guess thats as close to simple logic as I get -
Old 02-16-2020, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

I have a Martin 000-18 and a Brook Torridge - both mahogany with (supposedly), Sitka tops although the Brook is darker). The Brook is slightly smaller - closer to a 00, I guess. The Martin is more 'in your face' and is used for Chet/Merle/Piedmont/ragtime stuff and the Brook has a more refined voice suitable more for Celtic/folk/classical things. Started out in 1960 with a '36 0-17 and just never got away from mahogany. I think I've only had two rosewood guitars in 60 years and both got traded/sold quickly.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:47 AM

Talking

Quote:
I've currently got 3 OM/000's in my stable. Simple logic would dictate that I really don't need 3 of the same style guitar. So it got me thinking. Do you guys have multiples of the same guitar with slight differences, or do you choose others for different body shapes/scale, etc?
I tend to collect L-00's with different tone woods.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:50 AM

I have similar nylon Taylor for gigging, but I see this as a good backup plan.

I do love Carmel Guitar Co OMs, but I'm not sure why I bought two. I might end up selling one as that redundancy doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:55 AM

I've had a 000-28 for several years. My dream guitar has always been a 000-42 which was out of my budget. I saved my nickels for a long time and bought myself a 000-42 as a retirement gift to myself.

So I have a 000-28 and a 000-42. Nearly identical 000's although the 42 sounds better. One of these days I'll probably sell the 28 as it's now redundant.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

I used to have more variety. As I get older, there is a certain sound I want to hear all the time, so my guitars are consolidating around that Martin vintage voicing.

I have 3 dreads and 2 smaller bodies, but the woods are similar.

1 Sitka/EIR, 2 Adi/EIR, and 2 Adi/Hog.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 02-16-2020, 12:46 PM

Two OMs, same maker but one EIR/German the other mahogany/adi. They sound very different. Love them both.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I've currently got 3 OM/000's in my stable. Simple logic would dictate that I really don't need 3 of the same style guitar. So it got me thinking. Do you guys have multiples of the same guitar with slight differences, or do you choose others for different body shapes/scale, etc?
As you can see from my sig, I have a dozen guitars.
Half of them are dreads.
Half of those are spruce over Rosewood.
All three of my jumbos are spruce over maple, but only one is a six string.

Yes, they all sound a bit, or extremely different.
My Takamine 12 sounds very different from my Guild 12.

I didn’t so much care about differences on all of them.
A lot of my time is spent on “rescuing” guitars.
Even among guitars that I didn’t think needed rescuing. 🤷🏾

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 02-16-2020, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

I tend to favor variations on the same theme to wide tonal variety. So, yes...I have multiples of the 'same'.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I basically have multiples of the same guitars. Especially when it comes to electrics. Gibson SGs and Fender Strats. Seems I can’t get enough

Don’t have as many acoustics at one time. I’ve owned and played a variety of them over the years, but there’s also many I haven’t tried yet. I like the Dreadnought and 000 class for the most part, and I can see myself owning multiple of each.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

I've owned three Collings 0s simultaneously in the past, although right now, I'm down to two. Each represented different wood combinations. Buy what you like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion