The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2020, 07:04 AM

Default A stop at Carter's Vintage Guitars convinced me that I'm definitely a Bourgeois fan!

I had the opportunity to stop at Carter's yesterday and I played several high-end brands mentioned on here quite often. After that experience, it reinforced my opinion that I'm definitely in the Bourgeois camp in regards to high-end acoustics. I played a couple of Collings dreads and they both had the most bass of any dread I've ever played, but they were both lifeless in the mids and highs and that surprised me. I then tried 3 or 4 Santa Cruz dreads and they sounded good, but were lacking in volume. The one that surprised me the most was a Tony Rice model Brazilian that sounded pretty bad. It was weak and tinny sounding and I was expecting it to be amazing. I played a Taylor PS10 that was BEAUTIFUL and sounded great, but I've moved on past the Taylor sound. Tried a nice Santa Cruz slope shoulder that sounded really good too, BUT the best sounding guitar I played was another Bourgeois Slope D Banjo Killer like the one I own. I then ventured into the High-end room for a look around and there was a couple of guys in there who were both FANTASTIC guitar players. They were playing a $15k 1940 D-18 that sounded really good, but not great until the one guy hit a chord(didn't see which one it was) and it was like the gates of Heaven opened up and a chorus of angels sang out of that guitar! All 3 of us were like "WOW!"" He said that chord was made just for this guitar!! After that I paid a lot of attention to that guitar and he just made it sing!! Overall, I had a good time, but they really have too many nice guitars in there and it's overload!! The best part of the visit was that I left with some nice case stickers and NO GAS!! I'm totally satisfied with my guitars and didn't play any that makes me want another brand or another guitar!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-23-2020, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

I'm planning on making my first visit to Carter's and Gruhn's in March when I'm in town. I'm hoping because it will be a weekday and I'll be there right when they open, that there will not be a bunch of people there so I can try some nice guitars out. I've not had much experience on Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, or Collings so I want to try several of them. Along with some new and vintage Martins. I'm worried and wonder if I should leave my credit card at home.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I'm planning on making my first visit to Carter's and Gruhn's in March when I'm in town. I'm hoping because it will be a weekday and I'll be there right when they open, that there will not be a bunch of people there so I can try some nice guitars out. I've not had much experience on Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, or Collings so I want to try several of them. Along with some new and vintage Martins. I'm worried and wonder if I should leave my credit card at home.

I could definitely see getting in trouble there if I were looking to buy! I specifically wanted to try out some Collings and Santa Cruz guitars since they're two of the boutique brands people talk about on here. None of them sounded bad, they just didn't have the sound that I like or want in a guitar. A 1994 N. B. Kendrick D45 Brazilian was one guitar there that sounded really great to me, but I wouldn't want to spend $7k on a used guitar.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:19 AM

I'm mainly a drummer, but I played guitar in a past life. I loved going to Carter's. That place is magical.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Great recap, thx for posting!

I agree with you about Santa Cruz dreads. They have about 80% of the volume of a typical Martin dread. Beautiful sound, but sometimes I wish my D/PW had more power. My D-28 Marquis absolutely buries it in overall volume and the lower frequencies.

Back in December I picked up a Bourgeois Aged Tone JOMT Vintage from AMW. Got to play it first and pick from several so I got the one I wanted. It’s an awesome guitar, and now I’m gassing for an Aged Tone Vintage D Deluxe in the same Adi/EIR combo with the Nitro finish. TNAG and Music Emporium both sold one recently. But at +/- $6k, now we’re in D-28 Authentic Aged territory and some stiff competition. We will see what 2020 brings...

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 01-23-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I had the opportunity to stop at Carter's yesterday and I played several high-end brands mentioned on here quite often. After that experience, it reinforced my opinion that I'm definitely in the Bourgeois camp in regards to high-end acoustics. I played a couple of Collings dreads and they both had the most bass of any dread I've ever played, but they were both lifeless in the mids and highs and that surprised me. I then tried 3 or 4 Santa Cruz dreads and they sounded good, but were lacking in volume. The one that surprised me the most was a Tony Rice model Brazilian that sounded pretty bad. It was weak and tinny sounding and I was expecting it to be amazing. I played a Taylor PS10 that was BEAUTIFUL and sounded great, but I've moved on past the Taylor sound. Tried a nice Santa Cruz slope shoulder that sounded really good too, BUT the best sounding guitar I played was another Bourgeois Slope D Banjo Killer like the one I own. I then ventured into the High-end room for a look around and there was a couple of guys in there who were both FANTASTIC guitar players. They were playing a $15k 1940 D-18 that sounded really good, but not great until the one guy hit a chord(didn't see which one it was) and it was like the gates of Heaven opened up and a chorus of angels sang out of that guitar! All 3 of us were like "WOW!"" He said that chord was made just for this guitar!! After that I paid a lot of attention to that guitar and he just made it sing!! Overall, I had a good time, but they really have too many nice guitars in there and it's overload!! The best part of the visit was that I left with some nice case stickers and NO GAS!! I'm totally satisfied with my guitars and didn't play any that makes me want another brand or another guitar!!
Nice post!

I was there this past weekend and I also played the Tony Rice guitar. The first thing I noticed was that the strings were completely dead. Still I could tell it had a special quality that would explode with new strings.

Another thing I noticed was the over 7K price tag. I played one in the year they were introduced, at just over 5K. I question how many guitars by the major players have increased in value over that time period.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-23-2020, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

OP, your post is kismet. I am writing this whilst sitting on the couch in the Bourgeois office. I traveled to Lewiston to collect my Slope D that was in need of some adjustments. Have to say that these are good people. When I brought it in a few weeks ago, Mike, the tech guru, spent about 30 minutes with me describing what he would be doing. And Dana joined in the conversation while sanding the pick guard for one of his NAMM submissions.

And today, Mike spent another half hour telling and showing me what he did and why. When I casually asked how they got this guitar to smell like warm butterscotch with overtones of vanilla and dark rum, he pulled out his mirror and gave me a tour of the guts of my guitar. Then he noticed that there was some dust on the case and brought it back to the bench for a wipe down. Then the office guy and I had lovely chat about the Eastman partnership, NAMM and the challenges of CITES compliance. Clearly, building the boxes is the easy part.
Don't tell anyone, but I noticed that they have disembodied necks from two guitars - one owned by Doc Watson, and the other by Ricky Skaggs. Truth be told, I gingerly took each one off the cabinet where they are quite unceremoniously perched, set my fingers on the frets, closed my eyes and and accepted the reality that I still suck, and not even the spirits of Doc and Ricky are powerful enough to change that.
Anyways, great guitars made by great folks in my home town, no less.
David
Old 01-23-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
OP, your post is kismet. I am writing this whilst sitting on the couch in the Bourgeois office. I traveled to Lewiston to collect my Slope D that was in need of some adjustments. Have to say that these are good people. When I brought it in a few weeks ago, Mike, the tech guru, spent about 30 minutes with me describing what he would be doing. And Dana joined in the conversation while sanding the pick guard for one of his NAMM submissions.

And today, Mike spent another half hour telling and showing me what he did and why. When I casually asked how they got this guitar to smell like warm butterscotch with overtones of vanilla and dark rum, he pulled out his mirror and gave me a tour of the guts of my guitar. Then he noticed that there was some dust on the case and brought it back to the bench for a wipe down. Then the office guy and I had lovely chat about the Eastman partnership, NAMM and the challenges of CITES compliance. Clearly, building the boxes is the easy part.
Don't tell anyone, but I noticed that they have disembodied necks from two guitars - one owned by Doc Watson, and the other by Ricky Skaggs. Truth be told, I gingerly took each one off the cabinet where they are quite unceremoniously perched, set my fingers on the frets, closed my eyes and and accepted the reality that I still suck, and not even the spirits of Doc and Ricky are powerful enough to change that.
Anyways, great guitars made by great folks in my home town, no less.
David
I would love to visit their shop, but I don't think you can get to Maine from Tennessee!!LOL Be sure to tell them they have one super satisfied customer down here. There was a Bourgeois dread owned by Ricky Scaggs for sale at Gruhns not too long ago, but I can't afford the price they're asking for it! Enjoy your Slope D! I know that I love mine and it's easily the best guitar I've ever owned and right up there in the top 2 of the best I've ever played!

Old 01-23-2020, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I would love to visit their shop, but I don't think you can get to Maine from Tennessee!!LOL Be sure to tell them they have one super satisfied customer down here. There was a Bourgeois dread owned by Ricky Scaggs for sale at Gruhns not too long ago, but I can't afford the price they're asking for it! Enjoy your Slope D! I know that I love mine and it's easily the best guitar I've ever owned and right up there in the top 2 of the best I've ever played!
Roger that. I know what a enthusiast you are. And you would enjoy a trip to the mothership. That said, be forewarned. Ain't nothing fancy about the shop, which is located in a late 19th century behemoth of a mill building. No fancy show room or "customer's lounge." Just a place where some seriously good guitars are birthed. If you do make it north, plan to visit the Bourgeois "alums" - Laurent Brondel and John Slobod (Circa). For a small, state that is enveloped more by Canada than the US, we got a deep bench.
Best,
David
Old 01-23-2020, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I would love to visit their shop, but I don't think you can get to Maine from Tennessee!!LOL Be sure to tell them they have one super satisfied customer down here.
Ha! I'm hoping to make time for a visit to Bourgeois this spring when I'm visiting friends in Mass. Then I'll be down in the Sequatchie Valley this June for our annual reunion and for some picking (and grinning) with my Tennessee cousins.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robey View Post
Ha! I'm hoping to make time for a visit to Bourgeois this spring when I'm visiting friends in Mass. Then I'll be down in the Sequatchie Valley this June for our annual reunion and for some picking (and grinning) with my Tennessee cousins.
Good trip. I believe they run official tours on Fridays. You are looking at about two hours north of Boston, up Rt 95. Easy peasy.
D
Old 01-23-2020, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Did you play that OM cutaway with Walnut B&S? I've been giving that a glance or two lately.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 01-23-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Roger that. I know what a enthusiast you are. And you would enjoy a trip to the mothership. That said, be forewarned. Ain't nothing fancy about the shop, which is located in a late 19th century behemoth of a mill building. No fancy show room or "customer's lounge." Just a place where some seriously good guitars are birthed. If you do make it north, plan to visit the Bourgeois "alums" - Laurent Brondel and John Slobod (Circa). For a small, state that is enveloped more by Canada than the US, we got a deep bench.
Best,
David
That is the kind of shop I enjoy!! The shop were my fiddle was built is like stepping back in time 80 years! I hope one day I can make it!

Old 01-23-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Did you play that OM cutaway with Walnut B&S? I've been giving that a glance or two lately.
Oh yes! That is the first OM, by any builder, that I've played and I really liked it! I like that body style a lot and it is one that I may consider purchasing in the future.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:13 PM

I love that store as well. Funny thing is the used Bourgeois they have had during my visits have been most impressive.

If I got to Artisan usually the Santa Cruz's stand out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion