The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2020, 07:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default GAS-free...or not...

After many, many thousands of dollars spent in the last twenty years in search of "the" guitar, I've finally settled on two that seem to check all the boxes: (I am a Martin guy, always will be) a "re-imagined" M-36 and a D-35 Seth Avett. Both sound heavenly but with different voices. Both are set up perfectly and equipped with K&K's run through a RedEye pre-amp and into my ACUS amp are a joy to play and hear.

So why the HECK does the little man on my shoulder keep telling me I need a good mahogany bodied dread for strumming and a nylon crossover for my jazz/bossa stuff??! Both of those Martins do those things just fine. OK, sorry for the rant. Too much social distancing, I guess ;~)
Old 04-03-2020, 07:31 AM

Because you are still on the AGF. :-) Leave and the temptations will go too. I have some wonderful guitars. But, I'm looking at pictures of McPherson 4.5s on the internet that cost more than my last three guitars combined. Although, I'm not going to buy one. I chalk it up to distraction during ugly times. Clicking off now to get some work done and will play my guitars this afternoon. Cheers!
Old 04-03-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
After many, many thousands of dollars spent in the last twenty years in search of "the" guitar, I've finally settled on two that seem to check all the boxes: (I am a Martin guy, always will be) a "re-imagined" M-36 and a D-35 Seth Avett. Both sound heavenly but with different voices. Both are set up perfectly and equipped with K&K's run through a RedEye pre-amp and into my ACUS amp are a joy to play and hear.

So why the HECK does the little man on my shoulder keep telling me I need a good mahogany bodied dread for strumming and a nylon crossover for my jazz/bossa stuff??! Both of those Martins do those things just fine. OK, sorry for the rant. Too much social distancing, I guess ;~)
A nice crossover is gonna get you an entirely different sound than either of your two dreads;that's not a bad thing.

For your hog gas I'd recommend you wait a few years til you start feeling the "My shoulder's not liking dreads anymore..." syndrome and then go with a nice 00-15!
Old 04-03-2020, 07:44 AM

Sadly, Gas-free is usually a temporary condition.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:54 AM

I struggle with GAS constantly, and it is for two reasons I feel:

1) I am an incredibly visual person, and guitars look better to me online than they do sitting in a case in my house. I’ve even gone as far as to leave my two main players in hanging stands. This has helped to make them super available for a grab and play standpoint, but it also allows me to see the guitars every day. The guitar online always looks more enticing than the one in the closet.

2) I like to try new things. Part of the hobby for me is the rush you get from opening the case for the first time. In these times, that has all but stopped for me. For years it has been worth it to me to buy a guitar, play it for a few months, and flip it. This is getting more and more difficult to do without losing my tail. People want things for nothing these days. I’ve got to stop and just enjoy what I have. Which leads me back to number 1....I need to stop shopping.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:16 AM

Acoustic guitar gas ended over 5 years ago for me.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-03-2020, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

I’ll never be truly GAS free, but I 100% won’t be buying anything during this Covid19 induced recession at the rate people are losing their jobs. Since I don’t want to net add to my collection, if I don’t think I can sell something, I certainly won’t be buying.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-03-2020, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I struggle with GAS constantly, and it is for two reasons I feel:

1) I am an incredibly visual person, and guitars look better to me online than they do sitting in a case in my house. I’ve even gone as far as to leave my two main players in hanging stands. This has helped to make them super available for a grab and play standpoint, but it also allows me to see the guitars every day. The guitar online always looks more enticing than the one in the closet.

2) I like to try new things. Part of the hobby for me is the rush you get from opening the case for the first time. In these times, that has all but stopped for me. For years it has been worth it to me to buy a guitar, play it for a few months, and flip it. This is getting more and more difficult to do without losing my tail. People want things for nothing these days. I’ve got to stop and just enjoy what I have. Which leads me back to number 1....I need to stop shopping.

I certainly get what you mean about lowballers. Unfortunately, buying new causes even greater losses when reselling. I just figure on every guitar I sell that I'm not gonna get more than 50% of the list for it. Of course, that's just my experience with Martins, not sure about other brands.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:39 AM

I'm acoustic GAS-free 10+ years and into my 8th for electric.

Re OP's love of Martin. I loved the Martin HD-28, OOO-18V and OM-28V but a Santa Cruz OMS (14 fret OOO in Martin terms) got me years ago. It defies its size for conventional thoughts on guitar type and volume. I never tire of the tone and it has something super I describe as responsive. Really audible and rich sounding with bare fingers yet I can take it to a bluegrass jam with a good pick.

Just recently I saw what a new one like it would cost, and saw a used one with a repaired crack sell for almost as much as I paid. I'll remain happy.

P.S. A teenager getting into playing might be a way to rationalize a Stratocaster in the house LOL. If so it would just be for me to borrow.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I'm acoustic GAS-free 10+ years and into my 8th for electric.

Re OP's love of Martin. I loved the Martin HD-28, OOO-18V and OM-28V but a Santa Cruz OMS (14 fret OOO in Martin terms) got me years ago. It defies its size for conventional thoughts on guitar type and volume. I never tire of the tone and it has something super I describe as responsive. Really audible and rich sounding with bare fingers yet I can take it to a bluegrass jam with a good pick.

Just recently I saw what a new one like it would cost, and saw a used one with a repaired crack sell for almost as much as I paid. I'll remain happy.

P.S. A teenager getting into playing might be a way to rationalize a Stratocaster in the house LOL. If so it would just be for me to borrow.
The used guitar market is rather strange to me. I have two 2019 Taylor K14ce Builder's Edition guitars (one happened through a series of trades after buying my first one). I have seen some of these come up for sale, and in all cases, selling for more than I paid new.

I think the final GAS "cure" for me would be to go all carbon fiber. I already have what I want in carbon fiber guitars, and someday plan to sell of my wood guitars. I simply don't want the issues with humidity, the neck "moving", etc.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-03-2020, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

For those who experience GAS on a regular basis, it's an addiction, pure & simple despite the rationalizations that we need a guitar from this or that manufacturer, this or that size and/or this or that kind of wood. The reality is that being shut-in due to COVID19 is a real test of our willpower, and we often use the word "need" to put a new guitar on the same list as hand sanitizer, nitrile gloves and of course the illusive toilet paper...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-03-2020, 08:55 AM

Back when I worked at a gun shop, I wanted a new gun every month. Why? Because I was always surrounded by guys talking about having something with this spec and that spec. AGF does the same to me. As someone said earlier, stay off of AGF for a while and the feeling will subside. I’m sure this is true for many hobbies.
Martin: D-41 Reimagined (2019), 000-15SM (2018), OM-28 VTS Custom (2016), D-18 Golden Era (2014)
Taylor: K24ce Builder’s Edition (2020), K14c Cedar (1999)
Yamaha: CSF3M Parlor (2019)
Old 04-03-2020, 08:58 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I'll always have a bit of gas as I just really like guitars. Surprisingly, when I received my Cordoba C5, I finally got a lot of that mellow sound I was looking for. As a result I play more and window shop less.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-03-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpricewood View Post
Stay off of AGF for a while and the feeling will subside. I’m sure this is true for many hobbies.
Based solely off my experiences, it it true to a degree. I have a collection of die-cast cars. When I stay off forums related to die-cast, I also don't look for new models as much. Lately I have been contemplating selling off all of them in the interest of de-cluttering. Guitars are a somewhat different matter, as I can only properly store one (and I don't foresee that changing anytime soon).
Old 04-03-2020, 09:30 AM

GAS free you say?

....yea,,, good luck with that..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion