The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-25-2018, 08:11 AM

Here a recording I made a few years back solely using the pick-up in my then Taylor 522. My recording skills were very limited and I don’t remember doing anything like editing, e.g. EQ. These days I prefer by far the use of mics. The way I recorded The water is wide appears now too direct, too rudimentary. One learns by doing.

25/11 Correction: today I listened more carefully over my monitors and immediately noticed the reverb I added.

My lyrics and music on Youtube

Last edited by Karel; 11-27-2018 at 05:24 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:31 AM

Joseph Hanna -

I had no idea that a Taylor Mini could sound that good.
Spruce top?
Old 11-25-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Joseph Hanna -

I had no idea that a Taylor Mini could sound that good.
Spruce top?
Koa. Although I must say the Mini (as a broad brush stroke) has a pretty definable sound unto itself and I noticed little difference between the tonality spruce vs koa. When I purchased it I was more taken in by the feel and playability of that particular guitar!
Old 11-25-2018, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
With the S-Mic on my Schertler AG-6, I never turn it up more than an eighth of a turn live because it will feed back, but for recording turning it up all the way gives me a beautiful miked sound where I really don’t hear the pickup even though I know it’s there. It is a dead easy miked guitar any time I want to record it.
Am I correct in assuming that if your room is noisey (furnace etc) the mic would still pick up (no pun intended) the sound of the noise?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 11-25-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Am I correct in assuming that if your room is noisey (furnace etc) the mic would still pick up (no pun intended) the sound of the noise?
You are.

What some people don't realize at first, though, is that they can record something in a noisy room and play it back in that same room, and it'll sound like it's completely noise-free. Which it isn't, it's just that the noise in the room is masking the noise in the recording.

Couch Standards
Old 11-26-2018, 08:20 AM

Getting close to the guitar with the mic (6" or so) and putting a couple of movable gobos (framed rockwool insulation panels) could help you.
Send the wife out to the store, and put the dogs out in the yard.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-26-2018, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
You are.

What some people don't realize at first, though, is that they can record something in a noisy room and play it back in that same room, and it'll sound like it's completely noise-free. Which it isn't, it's just that the noise in the room is masking the noise in the recording.
Like noise canceling headphones!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 11-26-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Koa. Although I must say the Mini (as a broad brush stroke) has a pretty definable sound unto itself and I noticed little difference between the tonality spruce vs koa. When I purchased it I was more taken in by the feel and playability of that particular guitar!
Thanks for that.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
There are two factors to think about:

1. Are you intending to release your music commercially? Or are you interested in at most passing it around to family and friends? The former is going to more strongly require a mic'd sound.

2. What is the music like that you are recording? Solo guitar? Voice and guitar? Guitar as part of a larger ensemble? Again, solo guitar may sound odd plugged in, but less so when there is a voice, and not at all in a larger ensemble.

Since you clearly have no practical option to use a microphone, I'd just use the pickups and get on with it. Hopefully the *next* three years will see you learning a ton about actual (as opposed to theoretical) recording.

I am starting to do a lot of demo recording with my ToneDexter. No microphones to set up, no worries about ambient noise, it's so productive and the sound is excellent, if different than a traditional setup. I can see there are going to be commercial releases using this technology for anyone who can comfortably move away from the 'gold standard' approach (which I love for certain applications).
It is mostly just for me recording for myself singing and playing my original songs for anyone else that might want to hear them. I have found a creativity in the past few years that I was unaware that I had and I really would like to get my songs recorded just so there is a record of what I have created. Not sure that it will mean anything to anybody else but I think about my father playing and singing when I was young and just wish I had some recordings of him. Once somebody is gone that stuff is gone forever unless recorded.

Yes I do plan on adding some reverb or delay so maybe plugged in will be adequate for what I am doing. I am going to look into the ToneDexter and see if that will help. I do have a neighbor that has a converted detached garage that she uses as an office for selling some products that she said I could use any time so that may be a good option now. Seems pretty quiet in there. The thought to ask her didn't dawn on me until after I submitted my post.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Getting close to the guitar with the mic (6" or so) and putting a couple of movable gobos (framed rockwool insulation panels) could help you.
Send the wife out to the store, and put the dogs out in the yard.
LOL! Just being alone for a weekend here and there would be nice.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Here is a track I did with a Taylor GS-Mini. I primarily used the pickup that came with the guitar (I don't even know what it is) and an old SM-57 that I used just for added ambience. Admittedly there's more going on with this track than just a solo acoustic guitar so there's a little wiggle room to hide the pickup-ness.

Still I think the track came out ok and certainly feels acoustic enough in this environment.

YMMV

https://soundcloud.com/joseph-hanna/taylor-mini-v2
That sounds outstanding! What are you using for the other instruments in this tune? I have so much to learn but it is my understanding I can create those instrument sounds from software? I think once I get my feet wet I will be able to take off on this stuff.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
That sounds outstanding! What are you using for the other instruments in this tune? I have so much to learn but it is my understanding I can create those instrument sounds from software? I think once I get my feet wet I will be able to take off on this stuff.
Thank you

There’s a fair amount on this track. There is an orchestral “high string” almost all the way through. I find a single high string drone often accentuates the return to the root chord nicely so I use that technique a lot. A pizzicato string track. There are two bass violin tracks, doubled. There are two cello’s, one of which just doubles the bass violins and one obviously a solo cello. Finally and are two “vox humana” pads from Omnispere.

Yes the tracks (other than the two guitars) are all soft synth’s. Gaggles available out there these days but one does have to at least “think” somewhat like a string player when using strings pads, likewise cello or piano etc. Otherwise pretty easy stuff!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD