The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-14-2018, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Premiere is his video editor, Adobe Premiere
Ah thanks, I'm just guessing then that 48k is it's default sample rate
Personally I prefer the least amount of conversion necessary

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-14-2018, 07:28 PM

I think I've figured out what I did '"wrong" in this recording attempt in relation to the last in which I loved the results.
The mics were in a slightly different position...
But the main issue is that in the last recording I used my smartphone's earplugs (they have enough volume and block external sound) to listen what the mics were picking up, and I kept doing some small adjustments until I liked what I've heard.
This time I did not.
I just placed the mics in a similar position and listened for a small time with my pc headphones (which don't block external sound, and have a preeeeeetty low volume output).
So I guess that you can't really rely on just placing the mic in any similar position that gave you good results and hope to get the same results.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

I've noticed a couple situations in my recording setup that tend to result in inconsistent recordings:

1) If I'm recording in an untreated room, which I sometimes do primarily just for practicing. Where I'm positioned in the room, the direction I'm playing within the room, and where the mics are positioned in the room can easily affect the level of 'mud' I record. This seems especially true if the distance from the mic to the guitar is over 12".

2) Control of the guitar position when 'close' micing. When I've tried micing at less than about 12" I have a hard time controlling the distance to the mic and where the mic is pointing due to guitar movement. It seems I move throughout the song (side to side) and this is audible in the recording (especially on the mic intended to be aimed around the 14th fret).

So, what works best for me is to get in a bigger room, get at least some level of room treatment in place (portable gobos), and mic further out (usually somewhere in the range of 16" to 30" depending on the mics used and the sound I am getting). At this distance my movement doesn't seem to have much of an effect and I'm not picking up such a localized area from the guitar.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD