The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-27-2017, 11:47 AM

Default Balanced Line Out Question

I have a Fender Acoustasonic SFX II and I use it to mic my vocals as well as amplify my acoustic guitar. I have recently started playing at a bar that has a PA and I was wondering about using the Balanced Line out feature on my amp but I have a question about that. If I run an XLR out of the balanced line out on my amp, will the sound guy still be able to increase the volume on my vocals and guitar separately? Or will he only be able to adjust the overall volume of both? Is there a better option so that if I wanted to adjust the settings on my amp, it wouldn't effect the sound or levels coming out of the PA?
Old 11-27-2017, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

I'm not familiar with this amp so don't know whether it has separate channel line outs. If there is just the 'post mix DI out' then this is just that, a signal the sends the combined mix from your preamp out to, in this case the house PA. Unless there are separate channel outs the house sound person will only have your mixed signal to work with.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:13 PM

Thanks for your help!!
Old 11-27-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson2900 View Post
I have a Fender Acoustasonic SFX II and I use it to mic my vocals as well as amplify my acoustic guitar. I have recently started playing at a bar that has a PA and I was wondering about using the Balanced Line out feature on my amp but I have a question about that. If I run an XLR out of the balanced line out on my amp, will the sound guy still be able to increase the volume on my vocals and guitar separately? Or will he only be able to adjust the overall volume of both? Is there a better option so that if I wanted to adjust the settings on my amp, it wouldn't effect the sound or levels coming out of the PA?
That Amp has a single Line Out on back.

If you plug both mic and guitar into the amp.
Then what ever is plugged in ... Will be sent to the Line Out.

So if you run an XLR out to Sound Person / PA, mixer, etc.
They will get 1 signal with both your Mic and Guitar combined and would not be able to separate them.

If the place has their own PA and sound person... Why not just let them handle the sound? Or at least the vocals. Allowing you to use the amp on stage as monitor and send the output (guitar only) to the house sound.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post

They will get 1 signal with both your Mic and Guitar combined and would not be able to separate them.

If the place has their own PA and sound person... Why not just let them handle the sound? Or at least the vocals. Allowing you to use the amp on stage as monitor and send the output (guitar only) to the house sound.
What Jake Said!
Old 11-27-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post

This.

Louis
Old 11-27-2017, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If I run an XLR out of the balanced line out on my amp, will the sound guy still be able to increase the volume on my vocals and guitar separately?
No.

Quote:
Is there a better option so that if I wanted to adjust the settings on my amp, it wouldn't effect the sound or levels coming out of the PA?
Study the standard concepts of pre-fader, pre-eq- and pre-effects and post-fader, post-eq- and post-effects. Identify whether your stage amp can do one, or the other, or both. If your stage system can do the former, then the answer to your question is "Yes". If If your stage system can only do the later, the answer is "No".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification