The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-25-2017, 09:22 PM

Default Finally got a Portable P.A.

I was about to buy a new Bose L1 Compact for my Acoustic Single act, but found a used Fishman SA 220 sitting right next to one at the local Guitar Center. I sat in for my friend and played and sang through his Compact with a T1 Mixer recently. That did it for me. Still I had to try the Fishman, considering it was priced at nearly half of the Bose price, and came with a hard case with wheels! What swayed me to the Fishman was that it was louder with the master at 9:00 than the Bose was at 12:00. When I got the Fishman home I ran a guitar and Mic into it and didn't like the sound with the eq set flat 12:00. After some tweeking I got a really decent sound out of it. I have a gig in a fairly good sized club next Saturday night. I didn't want to haul my big P.A. there because it's in a mountain town 160 miles away. I won't be driving back at 2:00 a.m. I don't like leaving my stuff in the truck in a hotel parking lot. I'm confident that the Fishman will have enough volume to cover the place. I can easily take the Fishman into my room with my guitar after the gig. The sound really isn't quite as good as my big P.A. but it's close enough, and a whole lot more convenient. I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age, or could it possibly be getting wiser?
Old 11-26-2017, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Cool. And congrats. Let us know how it performs.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:19 PM

I have one of the early SA220 and also didn't care for the EQ set flat at 12. I nearly always turn the bass up and the mids and treble down.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 11-27-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
I have one of the early SA220 and also didn't care for the EQ set flat at 12. I nearly always turn the bass up and the mids and treble down.
That's what I did, pumped up the bass and cut the mids and highs a little. I left the tweeter adjustment centered. It really sounds pretty okay. I think it has enough volume for myself and my guitar to cover the place. I just don't want to haul my big P.A. if there is any way possible. These little P.A.s are cool!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification