The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-08-2017, 03:35 PM

Default Make shift moniters

I have a pair of old Realistic Air Suspension speakers I would like to use as studio moniters with my Scarlett 2i4 interface but can't get any sound from them. These speakers are not powered so I guess I may need a pre-amp between the interface and the speakers??? I was hoping I could just plug the speakers directly into the moniter ports on my Scarlett. Any suggestions as how I can get them to work would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:14 PM

The interface outputs (to the monitors) are line level and cannot power passive speakers. If you have a stereo receiver you could hook your speakers up to that and then connect the interface outputs to either the CD, tape or aux inputs of the receiver.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 01-08-2017, 07:30 PM

Also bear in mind that regular stereo speakers are not designed to handle the signal from musical instruments and microphones (called called continuous signal). You can easily fry the voice coil of a stereo speaker by monitoring live instruments.

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources
Old 01-08-2017, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Use High Quality Headphones

Aloha,

Recording is not an endeavor where "make-shift" or "cheap" yield consistent or good results. Ya might want to think about that approach.

With what you've proposed, I suggest that you use a pair of high-quality headphones (AKG Studio 240's are under $100) rather than try to jury-rig those Realistics back into studio service. GOOD Headphones will give you a more realistic sonic picture of your recordings than those old Realistic stereo speakers will.

When it's time, you can invest in a nice pair of near-field monitors for recording.

Good Luck!
alohachris
Old 01-09-2017, 08:05 AM

While I agree that stereo speakers aren't appropriate, a good, full range set of speakers can work in a pinch. "Bookshelf" speakers should be avoided for mixing, because they are missing much of the low frequency information that is critical to the mixing process.

So in lieu of proper monitors, a good set of headphones are useful, and while a decent, full range stereo system is still not ideal, I've done several successful mixes with my stereo speakers in my untreated living room. My intention was originally to "rough in" the mixes at home, and correct them in a professional studio. But more than once I have gone into the studio fully expecting to need to make changes to my mixes, but no changes were necessary. From that, I've learned that if it sounds good on my home stereo and on my car stereo, then the mix will sound nicely balanced through proper monitors in a treated room. FWIW The honkytonk recordings in my signature were tracked and mixed in my living room.

That said, I would love to have a great set of monitors in a properly treated space. At the moment, there just isn't a place in my home for a setup like that, so for now I'll have to continue to get by with my sub-standard setup. But that ain't gonna keep me from making music...

Last edited by Hot Vibrato; 01-09-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwL View Post
Also bear in mind that regular stereo speakers are not designed to handle the signal from musical instruments and microphones (called called continuous signal). You can easily fry the voice coil of a stereo speaker by monitoring live instruments.
What???!!??

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-09-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwL View Post
Huh???????

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD