The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2015, 05:49 AM

As an owner of two adi topped Collings guitars, a 2006 OM42 and a 2010 D1A, im not sure i get what the OP doesn't get. What I get is clarity, volume, warmth, and the abilty to be expressive. They are both fine guitars and the Collings off the rack that I've played are all consistently well made and sound great. I've never played a bad one!
Old 09-22-2015, 05:54 AM

Beats me. My favorite guitar is a sitka topped SCGC OM. Still, I've been extremely happy with my Martin CEO-7, which is a OO-sized guitar with an "Adirondack" top. It does sound better now than when I bought it, but it sounded good right out of the box.

How much of any of this has to do with the species of spruce and how much to do with the design and build and how a particular piece of wood is handled I cannot say. In truth, I've heard great, good, meh, and feh instruments with different top woods. I suppose I'd be relatively more interested in a red spruce soundboard if I were buying a Dread, but I do think, based on personal experience, that it can work very well on a smaller guitar too (and the flip side is, some of the up-charges I'm seeing to switch from sitka to red spruce look extraordinary to me).

Last edited by djg; 09-22-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

I think it is great that there are so many choices in guitars to go with so many different personalities in people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 09-22-2015, 05:57 AM

What Michael Watts and Haasome said, and I'd add Goodall to the short list.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:09 AM

I'm just getting to know my adi topped Martin 000. It's 6 years old, but my impression is it didn't get played much until it got to me a month ago. Now it's being played daily, and I've noticed an improvement already. I went from a entry level solid top/hpl b/s Martin to this, so my reference point is likely a bit skewed. However, what I can tell you is it does better than I would have thought at fingerstyle, although I suspect Engelmann or Sitka would be better in that regard and require a bit less input to get the top moving. Purely speculation on the latter point. I will tell you that I played in church the other day and was louder than a dread. Lots of punch. It's turning out to be quite a versatile instrument.

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Old 09-22-2015, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl_Record19 View Post
..... I didn't have the heart to tell him that Cedar, Engelmann or German spruce would of been a better choice... .
I don't think you can lump cedar, engelmann, adirondack and german spruce together.

In fact I don't think you can lump cedar and any spruce together.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 09-22-2015, 06:40 AM

Generally speaking, the qualities and attributes in an Adi topped guitar are not something you'll "get" just spending a little time with. You have to dig in and get to know it, see how it responds over time and touch. Allow your friend some time with it; don't just dismiss his purchase as poor out of hand. If he doesn't like it he can sell it for minimal financial loss.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:42 AM

I understand getting a guitar that you think should be great, but being disappointed with it in the end. Isn't this the chance we all take with either buying sight unseen or placing an order for a custom build? Like Forrest said, "You never know what you're going to get!"

For Collings, no doubt Adi works great with that model on a consistent basis, given the other factors involved (back and sides, model, Etc.). But even they can't control every variable to the nth degree: wood varies. And top that off with the individual nature of our playing styles and ears...who knows what the end product will really be like?

I'm sorry your friend isn't happy, but it doesn't seem to me that Collings or anyone misled him. Adi is a great tone wood, but that doesn't mean it's for everyone, or even every guitar.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:50 AM

The only Adirondak spruce top guitars I own were built before WWII so are made with old growth wood. Hard to tell though how much of the sound is shaped by what wood the top is made of and how much by the build in general and the fact that they are just flippin old.

But I think part of the reputation of Adirondack has to do with the very fact that it was standard on guitars that are now considered legendary plus the fact that it virtually disappeared by the end of WWII.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:03 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
...I have no idea why Collings didn't suggest other soundboards to him...
By what process did he consult with Collings on this? Acoustic guitar enthusiasts as a group cannot quite agree on the meaning of terms like bright, dark, wet, dry, and so on. Given that fact, how could anyone reliably consult on such a thing within the context of a factory built guitars? I just can't see where there should be any issue with Collings, especially considering how many buyers love red spruce topped Collings guitars.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:23 AM

My main three guitars are topped with Adirondack, Redwood, and Euro spruce.

I love them all. Viva la difference.

I just a b'd my adi topped Martin a d 28 Marquis with a new baked top d 35 euro
spruce.

My d 28 sounded better in every regard.

I would not buy a guitar that had to open up to sound the way I wanted. My Martin sounded great the day I bought it.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi all:

I've tried my fair share of guitars, but there is one thing that bothers me about the logic of guitar construction; I cannot understand the allure of Adirondack spruce. To me, it's way too stiff right out of the gate and it lacks subtleties that other top woods would offer. I understand if it has a high volume ceiling, but people are putting it on small body and short scale guitars.

There was one instance were a friend showed me his Collings 03 12-fret that he just ordered. It sported Adirondack spruce with Indian Rosewood back and sides. I played it for a little bit and it sounded like all the other Adirondack top guitars before; very stiff. I didn't have the heart to tell him that Cedar, Engelmann or German spruce would of been a better choice because he seemed a little disheartened by it as well. Because Collings suggested the soundboard, he's convinced that it'll "open up" eventually.

I think he should of picked something that would've sounded good to his ears on the first play. There's no telling how long it's going to take to "open up", if ever.
Opinions, not facts. It's true, many of us hear what we want to hear.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Hi all:

I've tried my fair share of guitars, but there is one thing that bothers me about the logic of guitar construction; I cannot understand the allure of Adirondack spruce. To me, it's way too stiff right out of the gate and it lacks subtleties that other top woods would offer. I understand if it has a high volume ceiling, but people are putting it on small body and short scale guitars.
Is it at all possible that those people like the sound of it on small body or short scale guitars?

Just spit-ballin', you understand.

Quote:
Because Collings suggested the soundboard, he's convinced that it'll "open up" eventually.
And it probably will.

Quote:
I think he should of picked something that would've sounded good to his ears on the first play. There's no telling how long it's going to take to "open up", if ever.
Collings has been doing this a while. I don't know that I've ever played am aged Adi top guitar that hasn't opened up.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
I would try to send it back, warranty it, for a warmer model spruce?
Warranty? Warranties are for sub-par construction or defective materials, not for "I don't like how it sounds". I suppose if the OP's friend could demonstrate what the defect is, perhaps. Otherwise, trying to swap it out under the warranty is a non-starter.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:38 AM

Maybe becasue its not for you !
My Mike Franks Brazilain Dread has a adirondack ( Red Spruce top )
and its amazing -
I would say that adirondack opens up faster than many woods -
But it does take time --

Its possible that these guitars your looking at havent opened up, that you're discribing because their newer guitars -it also matters who built the guitar and what wood combinations were used - not all wood is created equal , as well as builders and luthiers --- experience will be the deciding factor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion