The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-16-2014, 12:08 PM

Default Mic to computer connection

This is probly more of a PC question than recording but hopefully someone will be able to understand this question comming from an old and technically inadiquate newby.
I have been trying to mic record from my guitar amp with good results using a cheap Sony F-V220 mic connected to the front mic port of my Compaq Presario PC. The mic jack is 1/8" with 1 black ring near the front (is this mono?)
I have a second cheap mic with a 1/4" jack and 1 black ring (mono?) this mic works ok when pluged into the 1/4" port on the amp. However, when I try to connect this second mic to the pc port by using a new Hosa 1/4"TRS to 3.5 mm TRS adapter (2 black rings)(sterio?) the results range from krackly sound to nothing at all. I think I may need to get a mono to mono adapter, but really don't know. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
"TJ"
Old 03-17-2014, 09:56 AM

Please tell us what the mic is that has a TRS jack. TRS indicates it is balanced, you are plugging into an unbalanced input.
The 'preamp' built into your computer's soundcard was made with about $0.69 worth of components.
Consider investing an audio interface that that does the A-to-D conversion and connects to your computer via USB. It will have proper mic preamp(s) and replaces your internal soundcard for recording purposes. $150 will get you a decent 2-input interface.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-17-2014, 11:44 AM

[QUOTE=$150 will get you a decent 2-input interface.[/QUOTE]

I'm an (old) recording newbie, too and I've been very happy with my PreSonus 22VSL. Comes with excellent Studio One software and is widely available online, at GC, and better local music stores.

-- Steve

“You’re entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts”
(attributed to Daniel Patrick Moynihan)
Old 03-17-2014, 06:52 PM

Thanks Mike and Steve. I have been planning to get a mixer and another couple of mics and then download Audacity, add a couple more cables and hope that will be enough. It seems like there is no end to this techie stuff. By the time I have aquired the equipment I need and then learn just enough to be dangerious my voice will be gone and arthritous will have set in my fingers.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:56 AM

I would strongly advise against getting a mixer (even a USB one) for recording purposes. there are some inherent problems with most 'budget' mixers' A-to-D converters.
Read this thread over at homercording.com about mixers.

Take it from someone who bought a mixer (Mackie ProFX) that only gets live use now. I use a Tascam US800 for my audio interface.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

Last edited by MikeBmusic; 03-19-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I would strongly advise against getting a mixer (even a USB one) for recording purposes. there are some inherent problems with most 'budget' mixers' A-to-D converters.
Read this thread over at homercording.com about mixers.

Take if from someone who bought a mixer (Mackie ProFX) that only gets live use now. I use a Tascam US800 for my audio interface.
Interesting that you say this. I was thinking of using a passive mixer going into one of those USB audio interfaces that just have RCA jacks. Would that yeild good results? I understand that I won't have all the tracks that my mixer has but I could be creative and separate into a left and a right.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
Interesting that you say this. I was thinking of using a passive mixer going into one of those USB audio interfaces that just have RCA jacks. Would that yeild good results? I understand that I won't have all the tracks that my mixer has but I could be creative and separate into a left and a right.
Hi RJ...

Sounds like you are needing to transition from analog to digital, and are attempting it with an analog approach with existing equipment. It may work, and it may just be a time waster. To get your recording into digital form, it has to interface with computers and software sometime…

Using an interface means you can plug mics and/or guitars in directly to the interface, and then use software as your mixer/mix-down device. There is a learning curve with the process, but it's well worth it.

I recommend an inexpensive USB interface with XLR, and ¼" input jacks, and volume controls for individual channels (and headphone jack to monitor). That way you can monitor without the monitors/speakers screaming if you forget to turn them down while recording.

I've got one which is a $70 (when I bought it) two channel USB which can take either XLR or ¼" inputs, and it allows control over each channel, and the headphones, and can run on a 9 volt battery (I still plug it into the USB). The battery is so you can use it for an external mixer without the computer.

There are lots of solutions and all you need to know is if it works with most software (which most interfaces do these days).

Not sure you really need RCA jacks if you are going into the computer via USB.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-18-2014, 11:56 AM

I'm familiar with the two-channel USB interfaces. My question is what if I need more inputs? My thought was to go out of the mixer into something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA2...usb+sound+card

I'm just thinking that if the mixer already exists, this $30 interface will allow you to record on your PC. Or am I missing something?
Old 03-18-2014, 01:27 PM

If you already have the mixer, then you could go this route. If the mixer is only to be used for recording, then you will be sacrificing the ability to record the tracks separately.

Much better to save your money for an interface with as many separate tracks (and mic preamps) as you will need for some time.
As to the Behr USB converter: you get what you pay for.

A decent two track audio interface can be had for $150 - look at the Steinberg UR22, or the Scarlett 2i2, as examples.
For an AI with 8 mic preamps, the Tascam US-1800 can't be beat for $300.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-18-2014, 01:40 PM

OK, thanks.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I'm familiar with the two-channel USB interfaces. My question is what if I need more inputs? My thought was to go out of the mixer into something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA2...usb+sound+card

I'm just thinking that if the mixer already exists, this $30 interface will allow you to record on your PC. Or am I missing something?
Hi RJ...

Using an external analog mixer, no matter how many things you plug into it, at the end of the day, when you hit RECORD, two channels will be sent to the computer.

If that's all you need, then the box you listed should do the job.

What direction are your recordings going to take?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-18-2014, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Hi folks...

I hope we have not lost track of TJ (original poster) and his needs/questions.

If he's good-to-go then the topic can morph a bit to other thoughts, but I don't want to thread-jack his needs.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 03-18-2014, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the the concern. Actually I have given up on using that mic. It is really cheap and I coulden't get an answer for my question at my local guitar shop today either. I know I need to buy some add'l equipment but there are so many conflicting opinions. Every time I think I have figured something out, I here something that tells me I could be wrong. Very frustrating.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:34 AM

TJ - sorry if you are more confused now. Again, I would look at a USB audio interface. there are cheap ones that may only offer 16 bit conversion or don't offer phantom power (for a condensor mic).

Yesterday Musicians Friend had the gold Audiobox for $99. That would be a fair way to start out. The Steinberg UR22 or Scarlett 2i2 go for about $150 and offer very decent mic preamps.
When it comes to homerecording, you really need to decide where you want to go with it, as you can spend XX amount of money today only to find that what you bought doesn't do what you need to do tomorrow.

Edited to add: someone's got the Scarlett for sale here in the classifieds for $65, that's a deal!

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-19-2014, 01:09 PM

Thanks Mike. I just had my 70th birthday, it's not hard to get confused these days. I will look in to the ad.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD