The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-16-2013, 11:27 PM

Default USB To 1/4" Adapter

Can anyone recommend any good ones, if they exist? I'd like to do some computer recording and of course computer mics aren't exactly musical quality so it seems something like this would be the easiest thing to use.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:11 AM

I'm going to assume you don't mean a straight 1/4" to USB connection. That wouldn't work because one end is analogue and the other is digital.

You might be able to use a straight 1/4" to 1/8" cable. My son can plug his electric guitar into the 1/8" input on his MacBook and record in Garageband. He also has an Apogee Jam which works better.

I have a PreSonus 22VSL, which will allow you to use mics or 1/4" cables on the input, and it converts the signal to digital and a USB output. There are a bunch of companies that make these. PreSonus' previous version (which is still available and a little cheaper) is the AudioBox USB.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:42 AM

You're looking for a microphone to usb converter. There are a bunch of them, but all of the ones I've seen take an XLR microphone input. Evidently your microphone has a 1/4" plug.

For the price you'd probably be better served by purchasing a dedicated USB microphone. These are NOT the same as your built-in microphone, and will have very high audio quality.

You might also consider spending a bit more and purchasing a low end portable recorder like the Zoom H1. It serves double-duty as a stand alone recorder and also functions perfectly well as a usb mic.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Evidently your microphone has a 1/4" plug
I think it's much more likely that his guitar has a pickup he's looking to connect.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_guitarist View Post
Can anyone recommend any good ones, if they exist? I'd like to do some computer recording and of course computer mics aren't exactly musical quality so it seems something like this would be the easiest thing to use.
A simple cable connector doesn't exist ... USB doesn't carry analog audio signals, only digital data.

What you want is an interface ... these include input jacks (XLR, 1/4, or both), preamps, analog to digital converters, digital to analog converters. There are USB units, Firewire, and PCI and PCIe interfaces.

A good place to start looking is the Focusrite Scarlet series. There are dozens of others, too. There are some that are just for instruments (ie, have a single 1/4" input) but they have limited functionality if you decide to go to mics.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:14 AM

Like this?

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...FcN_QgodG04APQ

An internet search for "usb guitar adapter" will bring up lots of choices. I don't have any experience with these devices so I can't say if one is better than another.

I don't see this being a big improvement over buying a 1/4->1/8 adapter and plugging into the mic port on the computer. Both will probably give underwhelming but audible results.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 12-17-2013, 02:12 PM

Using your computer's built-in OEM soundcard is unlikely to get you good sound (using adapters and the $0.69 worth of components in the soundcard).

What are you trying to plug in - a microphone or instrument? Remember that either one requires a preamp.

There's the Behringer UGC102 Audio Interface for guitars, and similar mic interfaces - but at $30 the quality is marginal. Guess it all depends on what you want to do. If it is recording, consider spending aorund $150 for a decent audio interface with 2 mic preamps (and typically at least one instrument input).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-17-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Like this?

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...FcN_QgodG04APQ

An internet search for "usb guitar adapter" will bring up lots of choices. I don't have any experience with these devices so I can't say if one is better than another.

I don't see this being a big improvement over buying a 1/4->1/8 adapter and plugging into the mic port on the computer. Both will probably give underwhelming but audible results.

Fran
I DOES at least have a analog to digital converter built into the USB end that might be slightly better than what's done via the sound card. I wouldn't count on it, though...
Old 12-17-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
I think it's much more likely that his guitar has a pickup he's looking to connect.
I'd agree with that, but OP did state that computer mics were a bit underwhelming...

There are a few folks out there recording with mics purchased from big box stores that do have a 1/4" plug, though.

Therein lies the difficulty of being provided with sketchy details.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:52 AM

I suppose I should clarify my intention: I am looking to record a guitar using a pickup. I'm trying to get an idea of how my guitar sounds with a pickup attached. I have only an electric guitar amp and when I hit record with just the computer mic and leave the room to play I come back and here all sorts of distortion on the recording.

Hence why I want to play directly through the computer.

Thanks for all your help thus far.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:58 AM

Still too sketchy.

Acoustic or electric guitar?
What type of pickup? (Piezo stick-on, undersaddle, magnetic soundhole, etc.)
Does the pickup have its own preamplification built in?
Into what are you plugging said pickup?
Are you using a audio editing program to record? (Garageband, Audacity, Reaper, etc.)
How are you adjusting the input gain settings?
Is the track recording cleanly, or is the distortion due to playback settings and/or any monitoring equipment you are using?

Sorry, but forum questions need as much detail as you can provide so readers can give an informed opinion. I just went through another "diagnose my problem" topic on another forum where the OP couldn't figure out why his signal was distorted. After three pages of replies he added that he was using a preamp between his instrument and the computer. Guess where the problem was?
Old 12-18-2013, 09:37 AM

The best method of recording any guitar for sound quality is micing (either the amp if its an electric guitar or the acoustic guitar directly). The mic built into a laptop also picks up all the vibrations in the plastic housing. Even spoken word sounds crappy using that mic.
Go to homerecording.com and read all the Sticky threads about computer recording in the newbies section first. Don't waste your money buying cheap 'possible' solutions that will end up gathering dust.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-16-2014, 05:42 AM

Talking

I could be asking the same question and therefore would add to this thread to draw the same audience and OP can benefit.

Equipment I have so far:
1. I have 1 Takamine electric acoustic guitar with a Preamp built-in.
2. My voice.
3. Old macbook (no garageband) and seldom-used Windows8 Laptop.
4. Ipad2 with Garageband app installed (but unsure if it can be good for recording)
5. Zoom G5 (if that is in any way related or helps?) for my electric guitar

I want to have the "lowest cost" set for recording
1. My Takamine plugged in via her preamp
2. My singing voice (Maybe with my children joining in, so multi-polar ones may work better)

I think I will need to buy:
1. A UBS convertor (something like US$100? Can you recommend one beginner model?)
2. A good-enuf microphone for my voice (Can you suggest one?)
3. A computer software? Will garageband do ?

Any other tips will be welcome.
Thanks for helping me out.

PS: I understand this is an often asked Newbie question, but tech of guitar and recording has progressed so the recommended equipment should be different NOW.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:26 AM

yes, you can use Garageband - if you are familiar with its operation, you won't have that learning curve to add to your frustrations. Otherwise, most audio interfaces come with some type of limited DAW software.
If you want to really 'get into' recording in the future, its better to start with something that you like as far as it's user interface. I always recommend Reaper as it is full-featured, free to download and try out ($60 to register when you are ready), but it may be difficult for a newbie to learn (there is a 400+ page user manual).

I'd recommend saving a bit more money and getting a 2-channel interface in the $150 range - there are several options such as the Steinberg UR22 and Focusrite Scarlet 2i2. Be wary of used interfaces that may be discontinued models and not have updated drivers for current operating systems.

On the microphone, there are not many in expensive omnidirectional mics out there, but if you get an audio interface wiht phantom power to power a condensor microphone, there are quite a few choices of $100 (and less) mics out there that will do ok picking up a group of singers who are standing close together.

You're also going to need headphones (multiple if multiple singers are oging ot be singing at once), and monitor speakers for mixing are a must (using your ocmputer's speakers and headphones will not give good representations of your mix translated ot other playback systems).
Don't forget a mic stand, pop filter and cables, too.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-25-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
A simple cable connector doesn't exist ... USB doesn't carry analog audio signals, only digital data.

What you want is an interface ... these include input jacks (XLR, 1/4, or both), preamps, analog to digital converters, digital to analog converters. There are USB units, Firewire, and PCI and PCIe interfaces.

A good place to start looking is the Focusrite Scarlet series. There are dozens of others, too. There are some that are just for instruments (ie, have a single 1/4" input) but they have limited functionality if you decide to go to mics.
No, they exist. I bought one on clearance a few years ago. The company that makes them though is out of business, I believe.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD