The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2020, 09:40 PM

Properly repaired with the price adjusted - If you wanted it, why not?

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:42 PM

I bought a Carmel Guitar Co OM at Gryphon's a few years ago. As I was buying it the salesperson told me there had been a small crack repaired. I couldn't see anything other than a tiny swirl in the finish, thanked the guy for his honesty and went on with the sale. Makes no difference to me.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:11 PM

35 years ago I tried a Gibson J50 with a small crack at soundhole. It was the unquestionably the best sounding/playing guitar I’ve ever seen. It was priced like $400. I still kick my rear for passing because I did not realize it was a relatively minor issue.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:18 PM

I have done it twice. In both cases, the purchase price reflected it and I probably wouldn't have either guitar if I had to pay market value.

One was a Guild D-55 that had already been repaired and was done so well, you'd almost have to know it had been cracked or put a camera in the body to see it.

The other was a sort of rare Ovation that had the crack at the time of purchase. Basic center seam from bridge to bottom sort of thing. Took it to a well respected guy in Hollywood. He didn't do much. In my mind I was saying, " That's it ? That's the best you could do ? " but I just paid and left, figuring he must know what he is doing. I then sent it across the country to someone much less famous, but with really good reviews in a forum and he did a great job.

The only thing I do make sure of doing is keeping both properly humidified. No need to let them get so dry and to ruin good work.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 02-16-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
If you ran across a guitar you liked and it had a crack in the back or top, which had been professionally repaired and the price reflected market value with the damage, would you consider it?

I'd buy one with an unrepaired crack if I liked the guitar and the price enough.

Cracks are fixable...mostly always...

Great guitars that really "fit" you all around are rare...best not to pass one up whenever you run onto one.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 02-17-2020, 01:49 AM

If it was a guitar that's very difficult to find or mostly unavailable (think prewar Martin or similar) yes. Otherwise, no. I would consider it only if it caused a guitar to become available (to me) that would be out of my reach otherwise.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 02-17-2020, 01:58 AM

If the sound is right and the structural integrity is there, then yes. I don't listen with my eyes. I have one with a repaired crack in the side.

Also I was in an accident, suffered a major injury and was repaired so a bit like Timmy from South Park and the Thanksgiving Turkey, I feel a certain empathy towards damaged things.

Note: The link in my post is to a full episode of South Park but if you're in the UK you won't be able to see it. Use a VPN so it thinks you're from a different country and it's fine.

Mark Twain

Last edited by Lakewood_Lad; 02-17-2020 at 02:45 AM. Reason: describing my crack
Old 02-17-2020, 02:04 AM
Charter Member

I generally move on from listings when a crack is mentioned. Seems like the price is never that much cheaper relative to the market. Hard to resell and for me, it just feels not right unless it is a vintage guitar. There is a center seam separation at my local GC for a new D-18 only marked down 400 with no mention of the reason, just clearance. Feels a bit dishonest to me. No way you could get more than 1500 on a good day with that and best I can’t tell, it isn’t even fixed.

So with all the unknowns, might as well keep looking
Old 02-17-2020, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneh View Post
I generally move on from listings when a crack is mentioned. Seems like the price is never that much cheaper relative to the market. Hard to resell and for me, it just feels not right unless it is a vintage guitar. There is a center seam separation at my local GC for a new D-18 only marked down 400 with no mention of the reason, just clearance. Feels a bit dishonest to me. No way you could get more than 1500 on a good day with that and best I can’t tell, it isn’t even fixed.

So with all the unknowns, might as well keep looking
Have you tried it or spoken to the about it? Try it and if it's okay then offer them half what they're selling it for. When they decline let them know that if they've still got it in 6 months time they can give you a call.

Mark Twain
Old 02-17-2020, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

When I picked up my '93 D28 "1935 Special" it had 5 top cracks and 2 side cracks plus a number of other issues. Ten years after repair it's still one of the best guitars I've run into.

Gary

Old 02-17-2020, 06:48 AM

Default Flamenco with cracks in the top

I was given a flamenco guitar with three cracks in the top; one ran the length of the guitar, one from the center of the bridge to the bottom, and a partial crack from the upper bout to the top of the sound hole. My friend had purchased the guitar in Spain and left it in the attic. I had a luthier put very small strips of wood in the seams. The label said Juan Alvarez for the house of Archangel Fernandez. I did my research and found it was an example of the great “Madrid” school of guitars in the mid sixties. Of course I gave my friend some money when I found out its worth, and he said it sounded better than when he had played it. The or a point of the story is that guitars are valuable for many different reasons; instruments to play, objects of beauty, testaments to history. I’m sure the resale of the the guitar, which I will never sell, would be diminished by the cracks - but they’re part of its personality, and don’t affect the playing at all.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:55 AM

I got a smoking deal on a Brazilian rosewood DN that had a repaired crack. Killer tone.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
If you ran across a guitar you liked and it had a crack in the back or top, which had been professionally repaired and the price reflected market value with the damage, would you consider it?
Yes. But simply saying yes is less than 10 charecters.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:53 AM

I did, no regrets. My Larrivee SD-50 had been professionally repaired. Looks and sounds great.
1974 Gibson Les Paul Custom 20th Anniversary
1979 Fender Stratocaster 25th Anniversary
1968 Goya T-18
1983 Fender Super Champ amp
Old 02-17-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmax150 View Post
When I picked up my '93 D28 "1935 Special" it had 5 top cracks and 2 side cracks plus a number of other issues. Ten years after repair it's still one of the best guitars I've run into.

Gary

The quilting/pillowing of that spruce is absolutely gorgeous!

And what also caught my attention was the pickguard. I’m pretty sure Martin wasn’t using beautiful translucent pickguards in the early 90’s unless that was a special part just for the 35 Specials.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion