The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 06:36 AM

Default Pick Preference

I apologize if there is a recent thread on this topic, but I could not find one if there is. I have been experimenting with many different picks trying to get the tone I'm after. I don't like a loud harsh sound when strumming with a pick, I like a softer warmer tone that doesn't cause the first two strings to blast out with a "twang". I know picks are really a very personal thing with folks as well as the tones they produce, but a pick can make a world of difference in sound. So far my favorites are the Dunlop 1.4 Primetones, the rounded Primetones, and the Jazz I nylon picks. I have some Jazz III's on the way and noticed the main difference in them and the Jazz I's is they have a more pointed tip. The Jazz I picks are probably my favorites to this point not only because of the tone, but their size makes my pick use a lot more accurate. What do you guys think? As far as something like a Bluechip, forget it, I am not paying $35 for a single pick. That would be the one I would lose on the first day.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:44 AM

I like the Graphtech Tusk picks in .068mm thickness. They make them in 3 different colors which represent 3 different levels of brightness or darkness if you prefer. They do have an embossed logo for grip, and are fairly inexpensive. I do NOT however like their too pointy shape. I trim down the point and shape it with some sandpaper. then use my wife's nail file boards to final shape and bevel. Takes me about 5 minutes per pick to get it shaped to suit me. They also make them in 2 other thicknesses.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotom1052 View Post
I like the Graphtech Tusk picks in .068mm thickness. They make them in 3 different colors which represent 3 different levels of brightness or darkness if you prefer. They do have an embossed logo for grip, and are fairly inexpensive. I do NOT however like their too pointy shape. I trim down the point and shape it with some sandpaper. then use my wife's nail file boards to final shape and bevel. Takes me about 5 minutes per pick to get it shaped to suit me. They also make them in 2 other thicknesses.
I understand. I have trimmed, sanded, and beveled the points on many picks. With the Jazz and Primetone picks I think I have finally found some that don't require all that. The Primetones come in a few different point shapes, but they all have a really nice bevel on them..
Old 02-17-2020, 07:19 AM

Take a look at V-Picks, made in Nashville. Lots of different styles and thicknesses.

Aside from the great tone, they stay in your hand like they’re glued on.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-17-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Take a look at V-Picks, made in Nashville. Lots of different styles and thicknesses.

Aside from the great tone, they stay in your hand like they’re glued on.
Thanks, I'll do that!
Old 02-17-2020, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightwrjr View Post
I apologize if there is a recent thread on this topic, but I could not find one if there is. I have been experimenting with many different picks trying to get the tone I'm after. I don't like a loud harsh sound when strumming with a pick, I like a softer warmer tone that doesn't cause the first two strings to blast out with a "twang". I know picks are really a very personal thing with folks as well as the tones they produce, but a pick can make a world of difference in sound. So far my favorites are the Dunlop 1.4 Primetones, the rounded Primetones, and the Jazz I nylon picks. I have some Jazz III's on the way and noticed the main difference in them and the Jazz I's is they have a more pointed tip. The Jazz I picks are probably my favorites to this point not only because of the tone, but their size makes my pick use a lot more accurate. What do you guys think? As far as something like a Bluechip, forget it, I am not paying $35 for a single pick. That would be the one I would lose on the first day.
For years I didn't play with picks. I started with them but just never seemed to get the hang of it so I switched over to all fingerstyle. But there are a lot of cover songs out there that just really need a pick to be strummed well and eventually I went over to picks. Leading up to this point I, too, said I would never pay $35 for pick. That's just stupid. Guess what I now play with? Two Blue Chip CT-55 picks. I don't lose them. They stay in a nice small leather pouch with my capo.

All that said, check out the John Pearse Fast Turtle picks. Those are much less expensive and have a smooth feel and warm tone.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

then use my wife's nail file boards to final shape and bevel.

How'd that go over?

-Mike "I used my wife's turkey baster to change the fork oil in my motorcycle..."
Old 02-17-2020, 07:57 AM

You will get a different pick for each reply here. There is no right answer.
Find one you like .. then find one you
like better...
For what its worth i use Fender xtra heavys.
The white 351 style. I can buy 100 of these for
the price of one blue chip. I think the longer ive
been playing the less crucial the pick has become to me.
Tone is in the hands.. As long as the pick us thick enough.
For me thats somewhere between 1.2 and 1.5mil.
I stay away from clacky noisey picks. I loved the
grip on primetones but hated the clacky clicky noise
from the pick.

Last edited by varmonter; 02-17-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

For decades I've tried just about every pick out there and keep coming back to my good ol' Fender small jazz picks, heavy gauge, with a hole drilled in them to aide in keeping them from slipping. When I use a pick I rest my 3rd and 4th finger on the guitar when playing single note runs; hand off the top when strumming. Larger picks make playing those single lines tougher and I am less accurate. I know the resting of the fingers on the top (again, only for single note runs, not strumming) is probably bad technique but I've been doing it for 50+ years and I'm not going to change now!

I love the tone of those old Fenders, the tip shape is just right (as far as I'm concerned) and they are cheap enough so if I lose one I'm not going to kick myself, which is why I stopped by those "boutique" picks. I've never broken one but a few that I've been using for 20+ years are worn down a bit and ready for retirement. But....no complaints!

Gene
Old 02-17-2020, 08:01 AM

My choice of pick depends on which guitar I am playing. I have experimented with a lot of different picks. My current go to picks are Primetone or Ultex with various thicknesses. Oddly enough I favor thicker picks for a smaller guitar.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:26 AM

I make my own picks out of water buffalo horn.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:27 AM

Yeah, the clacky sound is why I prefer the Jazz I nylons.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:51 AM

I don't want to hear any noise from the pick - just the sound of the guitar. I think that's what I would describe as a "warm" sound. So far, the best sounding picks I have found are Blue Chip TAD 60's. They're heavy and expensive but are very neutral in their sound - you don't get any pick snap. Red Bear as well as some other vendors I've seen on this forum also make some very special high end picks.

I figure that if I think I deserve to play a guitar I spent $5K to own, I can afford to treat the guitar to a $50 pick . . .

“We are all bozos on this bus."

1967 D-28 (still on warranty) / 1969 homemade Mastertone / 1977 OME Juggernaught / 2003 D-42 / 2006 HD-28V burst / 2010 Little Martin / 2012 Custom Shop HD-28V / 2014 Taylor 356ce 12 / 2016 Martin D-28 Authentic
Old 02-17-2020, 10:59 AM

I go for the same tone you do, and I think that the Primetones are a good bet. Warm and round, not twangy like a thin pick will give you. Ultex aren't bad, and I like nylon picks for warmth too - but the Primetones beat them. I like the bevel. I use Primetone 1.3 mm picks almost exclusively, unless I am using the only pick I like better...

(sorry)

My Blue Chip TD 50. It's noticeably better than the Primetone. But I do like the Primetone picks - good picks for the money.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 02-17-2020, 11:25 AM

Charmed Life picks, really nice
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion