The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-03-2018, 12:44 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
...the reality is it does exactly what it seems destined to do. It's not complex, it's straightforward. It's got SOUL in there that translates well from the player to the listener. It's very fundamental but in the right hands can become complex in its own way, very singular and unique.
For me it's just plain in your face raw and I dig raw.
Well said, Jamie. Couldn’t agree with you more.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Well said, Jamie. Couldn’t agree with you more.
You J-45 owners really band together don't you? LOL (Oh wait, I am a J-45 owner now too)

And now, its time for me to try Roy's secret sauce; "Santa Cruz Mid Tension strings"
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-03-2018, 01:53 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
You J-45 owners really band together don't you? LOL (Oh wait, I am a J-45 owner now too)

And now, its time for me to try Roy's secret sauce; "Santa Cruz Mid Tension strings"
One other point is worth making by us J-45 cultist. If memory serves, Jamie was fortunate enough to play his 45 before buying it. He knew he’d found a keeper and was smart enough to snatch it up. But Gary, Shades and me all bought ours online/over the phone sight unseen. And all three of us are delighted with the guitars that arrived. Three Gibbys bought long distance and all three superb instruments. Says something about Bozeman’s QC. Something very positive that deserves to be heard more often on this forum.

Oh, and I hope you dig the SC strings, Gary. I really love ‘em on the 45. Great tone and noticeable volume boost.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
One other point is worth making by us J-45 cultist. If memory serves, Jamie was fortunate enough to play his 45 before buying it. He knew he’d found a keeper and was smart enough to snatch it up. But Gary, Shades and me all bought ours online/over the phone sight unseen. And all three of us are delighted with the guitars that arrived. Three Gibbys bought long distance and all three superb instruments. Says something about Bozeman’s QC. Something very positive that deserves to be heard more often on this forum.

Oh, and I hope you dig the SC strings, Gary. I really love ‘em on the 45. Great tone and noticeable volume boost.
You are quite correct...I was fortunate to be able to do that.
I was so taken with that particular guitar, it was a done deal. I did squeeze GC for a better price though.
I have the SC's on my "to try" list. I have to tell you, the Martin Titaniums sound extremely good though.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-03-2018, 03:26 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
I have the SC's on my "to try" list. I have to tell you, the Martin Titaniums sound extremely good though.
Yep...I really need to try the Titaniums. I’ve had a set sitting around here for ages. Bought them largely due to those great early reviews you posted. Right now my 45 sounds so fantastic I’m afraid to mess it up with anything new. May try them eventually on the D-41. The SCs sounded good on it, too...but not killer like on the 45. So right now I’m four days in trying the new Martin Authentic Acoustic 80/20 12s on the 41. So far, so good. It’s the treated version...be interesting to see how long the good tone lasts.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:27 AM

I can vouch for the SC strings. I use mid tension. I've had the same set on the guitar since I got it earlier this year, and I haven't felt the need to change them yet. They still look and sound great.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Yep...I really need to try the Titaniums. I’ve had a set sitting around here for ages. Bought them largely due to those great early reviews you posted. Right now my 45 sounds so fantastic I’m afraid to mess it up with anything new. May try them eventually on the D-41. The SCs sounded good on it, too...but not killer like on the 45. So right now I’m four days in trying the new Martin Authentic Acoustic 80/20 12s on the 41. So far, so good. It’s the treated version...be interesting to see how long the good tone lasts.
I don't know how the bass "E" on the SC's sound, but the Titanium bass "E" might be considered too dull for some folks on a J45. As always, YMMV.
They definitely don't add any color to the tone. As previously stated ...RAW!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-04-2018, 08:05 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Default 2019 Gibson J-45 Cutaway w/new Videos

Thanks for the tip, Jamie. Open low E is one of my absolute favorite notes on my J 45 right now. I’m always delighted when I get a chance to pick it. It just howls with Gibson soul. So I think I’ll be sticking with the Santa Cruz strings on the 45. May try ‘em on the 41.

Last edited by Rev Roy; 10-04-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, Jamie. Open low E is one of my absolute favorite notes on my J 45 right now. I’m always delighted when I get a chance to pick it. It just howls with Gibson soul. So I think I’ll be sticking with the Santa Cruz streams on the 45. May try ‘em on the 41.
The only reason I have not installed the Santa Cruz strings yet is I am taking it to my luthier to convert the Baggs Element VTC to Baggs Anthem.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-04-2018, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's not complex, it's straightforward. It's got SOUL in there that translates well from the player to the listener. It's very fundamental but in the right hands can become complex in its own way, very singular and unique.
Really nice comparisons. Martin's have the low mids of no other guitar.
Some slight tone findings:
- The Outlaw has a bolder tone especially up the fretboard at the 7th fret. A good guitar for ballads and dramatic music. Probably the best dropped tunings guitar out of the bunch?
- The D18 sounds and looks really nice. Perhaps better for rhythm and faster tempo music.
- The Gibson has that "human comfort" and American round lows. They are comfortable to the listener. This guitar fosters memories of decades of recordings. And many different Americanna genres.

Would love to try your three out. I play all over the neck and would choose your Outlaw for bold melodies and partial chord mayhem. I would choose your D 18 for way down in the track recording or all around 6 string strumming. And that Gibson - for percussive, or hybrid picked rhythms that just have SOUL.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
Really nice comparisons. Martin's have the low mids of no other guitar.
Some slight tone findings:
- The Outlaw has a bolder tone especially up the fretboard at the 7th fret. A good guitar for ballads and dramatic music. Probably the best dropped tunings guitar out of the bunch?
- The D18 sounds and looks really nice. Perhaps better for rhythm and faster tempo music.
- The Gibson has that "human comfort" and American round lows. They are comfortable to the listener. This guitar fosters memories of decades of recordings. And many different Americanna genres.

Would love to try your three out. I play all over the neck and would choose your Outlaw for bold melodies and partial chord mayhem. I would choose your D 18 for way down in the track recording or all around 6 string strumming. And that Gibson - for percussive, or hybrid picked rhythms that just have SOUL.
Enjoyed your post very much. I wound up writing a song on the J-45 yesterday. It just took me a to a place where the song presented itself. It was a "strumming chord" arrangement. Then I tried the same song on a couple other guitars and it did not represent itself with the same soul as the Gibson J-45.

I come to similar conclusions as what you shared. Certain guitar excel for music that calls for a specific tone or vibe.

I LOVE the Martins and on my detailed and intricate cross Picking, the Gibson does not yield the same rewards. But where the J-45 excels, the Martin's don't always sound as 'classic'.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-10-2020, 07:56 AM

Great videos, Garry! I was considering picking one of these up. Now I know I’m picking one up ;-)

Sorry about the zombie thread ;-)

2009 Martin OM-28 Marquis
2016 Gibson J45 Standard
Old 02-10-2020, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nads View Post
Great videos, Garry! I was considering picking one of these up. Now I know I’m picking one up ;-)

Sorry about the zombie thread ;-)
Hi Brent, No worries at all. Thank you for the nice words. I am so glad the video's were helpful.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-10-2020, 11:27 AM

No worries . I have had my j45 cutaway a couple years
now, and still doing great.

I change saddles a few times,mammoth,camel, tusk and went back to tusq eventually.
I lost a tad of the brightness.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion