The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2020, 02:28 PM

Default NGD - Gibson L-00 Studio 2019, Walnut

Just wanted to share, I've picked up another darn guitar. It's new and exciting for me.

I've spent most my time with dreadnoughts, and this is a major change. I love the depth and richness you can get from a large body. With a good build and the right tonewoods (eg, adi over rosewood), I can just sit there all day, finger picking open chords and reveling in the luscious overtones, the depth, the subtlety... Cut to now, and it's the opposite. I actually think this L-00 doesn't sound *that* good, at least in those same terms. It's boxy, it's got a big boom of mid range tones. I've heard folks describe the 00 shape as being a bit "barky" which seems to be the right image. Like a small dog barking its heart out trying to prove itself to a passing larger breed. It's almost the antithesis of the sound I've been pursuing. I love playing bluesy stuff on this guitar. The enjoyment isn't coming from "pretty sounds" but more that the player has something important to say, and the guitar provides an avenue to shout it out loud, however unsophisticated.

All that said, it's a fine guitar and sounds pretty good. I'm learning to understand the 00 shape, and the choice of walnut for back and sides. Also, it has a pickup installed, and I'll admit I'm having a great time playing through an amp with a bit of overdrive. It's just fun to wail on the thing and play into its shout-y and focused character.

Right now I've got D'Addrio EJ16 (PB lights) on there. I think I'll try some nickel strings next, to see if I can strip out some of those PB overtones. Not sure what pairs well with walnut, so it's an experiment. Norman Blake and his L-00 sent me down this path, and he's been known to use a variety of nickel stings.

Funny story: I bought the guitar from Sam Ash. I noticed immediately the 9V battery was loose and rattling around in the guitar. Somehow I converted this into a $250 discount! I was out the door for $1000 after a trade-in deal, and felt good about that. Fixing the battery issue was simple.

Edit:
I need to find some time at home when the sun is coming through the window so I can take a decent picture. In the mean time, here's a stock substitute. The guitar has a very vanilla look to it - light tones, even a walnut fretboard and bridge. It's like the guitar got its hair bleached, an odd and refreshing aesthetic.

Last edited by ba4x; 01-28-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:02 PM

congrats

I played a L00 standard the other week at my local shop and was blown away, huge tone, big sound.

then I played an L00 vintage for twice the price and it was an absolute dog, no volume at all, muddy and weak.

I should buy that Standard
Old 01-28-2020, 03:04 PM

Default Me too

I'm right there with you. I bought mine about five months ago and it's a really fun guitar to play. I plug into a Fishman Loudbox which seems to be a perfect pairing. I like the Monel Retros on the guitar as well. No, it isn't a dreadnaught, but it isn't supposed to be. Plugged in or not, it is a very satisfying playing experience. It's great for open tunings and slide as well. Have fun!
Old 01-28-2020, 03:29 PM

Congratulations!

I've got the L-00 Studio as well. Treat the fretboard and bridge to some oil and they darken up quite a bit. Nowhere near rosewood territory, but darker than they are now.

I've been using Gibson Masterbuilt strings so far and like the sound, but Gibson has discontinued them. Search around and you'll find a thread where someone found an exact replacement from the company that built the strings for Gibson.

Enjoy it. It's a great little guitar.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 01-28-2020, 08:15 PM

I’ve been using Masterbuilt on my 1999 L-00 too. I stocked up a while ago before they all disappeared. That thread from last year suggests GHS made them for Gibson: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...9&postcount=45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Congratulations!
I've been using Gibson Masterbuilt strings so far and like the sound, but Gibson has discontinued them. Search around and you'll find a thread where someone found an exact replacement from the company that built the strings for Gibson.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:34 PM

Thanks guys for the comments and insights!

Regarding the Masterbuilt strings, are you preferring the PB or the 80/20 on the L-00?
Old 01-29-2020, 05:44 AM

I got an L-00 Studio this past fall. I is the most enjoyable guitar to play that I have ever had in all ways (playability, tone and otherwise). I am still trying various string types( P/B, 80/20, Monel, Nickel) and have not found a favorite yet. When I put on a different type of string, I don't particularly like them but after playing for a bit they all sound good. My pick preference is different with this guitar than I have used in the past. All in all I am very pleased with this guitar.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowgypsy View Post
I got an L-00 Studio this past fall. I is the most enjoyable guitar to play that I have ever had in all ways (playability, tone and otherwise). I am still trying various string types( P/B, 80/20, Monel, Nickel) and have not found a favorite yet. When I put on a different type of string, I don't particularly like them but after playing for a bit they all sound good. My pick preference is different with this guitar than I have used in the past. All in all I am very pleased with this guitar.
That's great to hear. I've experienced something similar, enjoying different picks on the L-00. Which type of pick are you using here?
Old 01-29-2020, 11:34 AM

I had been using Ultex picks .77-.88 on my J-45 but found they didn't work on the L-00. So far I have settled on Primetone 1.4 for the L-00. I still use the ultex picks on my J-45. I doubt that I will buy any expensive picks.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Wink

You know what they say, "No pics, then it didn't happen." (That would be pics, not picks)
Steve
Old 01-29-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
You know what they say, "No pics, then it didn't happen." (That would be pics, not picks)
Steve

Here's a photo. Girlfriend is out at bookclub for a couple hours, so I took the opportunity to try out the dirty amp / clean amp concept. So far so good, just have to keep the volume down or else feedback. Pardon the mess... it's the "hobby room" with all my crap that doesn't belong anywhere else in the apartment
Old 01-29-2020, 09:24 PM

Very nice guitar! I picked up one of these just before the holidays and it gets the most playing time of my three acoustics.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

it's a beauty and you'll keep finding great new ways to play it. Thanks for sharing your fun experience and picture.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion