The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-05-2019, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

If you need a lot of power, OnSong seems to be the consensus pick. Like coordinating having the same songs scrolling for you and bandmates and stuff.

I've been using something called GuitarTapp Pro for a few years and for an individual just trying to keep track of stuff, it's pretty awesome and pretty simple. They have multiple chord charts, tabs, etc for almost any song you'd want. Once you find the one you like best for a given song, you can edit it - a lot of those public domain chord charts have the chords over the wrong word and can really throw you off. So if you know the song, you can adjust the spacing and get the accents in the right places. You can convert any chord chart to ChordPro format and you can use a bluetooth footswitch to scroll or turn pages as you go. You can create as many setlist as you want from your catalog of saved songs.

I know there are things it can't do that OnSong can, but my needs are pretty simple and IIRC I paid about $5 or $10 for this app, it syncs between my two iPads and my iPhone. The only thing I wish it had was a Mac or PC version - I think it might be easier to edit some stuff on a Mac than on an iPad, but I've never had any problem doing it on an iPad either.

-Ray
Old 08-05-2019, 07:40 PM

OnSong...works fine.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-06-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

I also use Ultimate Guitar on my iPhone and iPad to find chords and lyrics. Once I find a version of a song I like, there’s a feature on the iPad UG program that let’s me open it as a new document in Pages. Next I transfer it to my MacBook. Invariably the chord letters above the text don’t line up properly with the lyrics. I adjust the spacing after increasing the font size, export it as a PDF to my song file folder, and then print out a hard copy that gets three hole punched and put in my song notebook. Songs requiring more than one page are punched so when the notebook is open, page one is on the left and page two is on right. It’s kind of old school, but I’m used to having a song book, and this way I don’t have to turn pages. The Pages and PDF files are available across all of my devices, and I can use the PDF files for OnSong too
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 08-06-2019, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

I've been using OnSong for about two years (or about 40% as long as this thread). Works great and has more functionality than I use.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Onsong and other similar iPad apps

Hi,

I currently have my homemade "sheet music" compiled into a single WORD doc (it has hundreds of sheets in the doc), which I have also printed and plastic comb "bound" in a songbook. If I wanted to upload all my songs to an iPad, would it be as easy as uploading my 1 WORD file or would I need to do so one song at a time ? THANKS!
Old 01-22-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieRay View Post
I use the Ultimate-Guitar app for both the iPhone and the iPad. As I'm a big fan of the site (www.ultimate-guitar.com), it allows me to to keep all of the chord charts/tabs w/lyrics with me at all times.
I used OnSong for a couple of years, and then switched to Ultimate Guitar and have found it much more useful. I used to carry a large binder to gigs, iPad is much easier with Ultimate Guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic