The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Seems to run counter to Rule #1 - Be Nice...
I guess I'll have to start putting my more sarcastic comments in bold italic so no one gets confused.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXMoore View Post
I guess I'll have to start putting my more sarcastic comments in bold italic so no one gets confused.
That would certainly help us neuro-atypicals who have read lots and lots of Guitar Center potshots over the years...
Old 01-20-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnidoh View Post
Went to local GC two weeks ago on a Tuesday....they had just opened and young players were in school and the older ones were working or, if retired, not yet up and about. Had the place to myself and since I'm relatively new to guitar and not comfortable playing with an audience, looked forward to trying some of their better Martins, Taylors, etc. in peace and quiet.

Went into the backroom and, as previously mentioned, the lower priced ones were also lowest on the wall and easily accessible. The guitars I was interested in were not locked up, but high enough that even if I jumped, I doubt that I could have touched them. Went out and asked the young lady if she could help me and get them down. She asked me which one I wanted down and I explained that I was unable to read the model info on the tags and asked if they had a list of what was there. She left for a few minutes and came back and said she couldn't find a list but if I told her what one I wanted to try, she would get it down for me. Told her again that I couldn't read the tags and explained that I have a D-35 and a 314ce and wanted something a bit different but wouldn't know until I tried them. She looked at me and said, You have to let me know what one you want down. I have other things to do here and can't take them all down for you to try.

I thanked her for her time and left without even buying the strings that I wanted. Can't fault her since it was early and maybe she did have a lot to do or had other things on her mind. I also agree with GC for protecting their higher priced stock even if it is inconvenient at times. They are located two blocks from my mothers house so I'll probably visit them again and possibly get to try out a few nice guitars if they aren't too busy.

John
If I'm actually in the market to buy something I usually have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for, but I'm not above being smitten with something that catches my eye. My wife could vouch for that.

I did stop in the new GC to have a look around and figured out pretty quickly that I should have brought binoculars if I had any need of even figuring out what was way up there in the stratosphere. I can't fall in love with something I can't even see.

Is it OK if they lock them up? Sure. They can simply lock the front door as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:13 PM

The GC in Bakersfield is pretty well opened up. The acoustic room has the best guitars hanging so high you must ask for an employee to get the big ladder.

Regarding why? I saw a Eric Clapton Martin absolutely ruined with pick gouges all over the top. It looked like a screwdriver was used. Since then the good stuff is out of reach,
Old 01-21-2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
If I'm actually in the market to buy something I usually have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for, but I'm not above being smitten with something that catches my eye. My wife could vouch for that.

I did stop in the new GC to have a look around and figured out pretty quickly that I should have brought binoculars if I had any need of even figuring out what was way up there in the stratosphere. I can't fall in love with something I can't even see.

Is it OK if they lock them up? Sure. They can simply lock the front door as far as I'm concerned.
Exactly. If brick and mortar stores want to stay in business, people have to be able to handle the merchandise. Will some guitars get ruined, yes. But there's a price you pay if you want to be the Walmart of music stores.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion