The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2020, 10:11 AM

The new body shape reminds me a lot of one of the guitar shapes that Danny Ferrington came up with. It’s very similar.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-18-2020, 10:24 AM

A neck joint that can do everything that Taylor's NT can PLUS adjust intonation! Now that's cool! Wish I would have thought of that!

At first glance the neck joint reminded me a bit of Washburn's ill-fated Steven's extended cutaway guitars from the late '80s, except the Martin design might actually work.

The X-braced back is cool too.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

At first I was turned off by the road series designation and the strangeness of it, but watching this video just blew me away - they really, really thought of everything and did things with very deliberate intent.

New GAS incoming!

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-18-2020, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

At first I was turned off by the road series designation and the other video which suggested its really intended more for plugging in (and strangeness of it), but watching this video just blew me away - they really, really thought of everything and did things with very deliberate intent, and it sounds good unplugged.

Even their laminate is all quality solid woods not just poplar cores.

Wow!

New GAS incoming!

Old 01-18-2020, 10:59 AM

Linear dovetail joint, held together by a couple of bolts - that's a great idea (that Matsomoku had in the early 1970s . . . .)!

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...highlight=Conn
Old 01-18-2020, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Linear dovetail joint, held together by a couple of bolts - that's a great idea (that Matsomoku had in the early 1970s . . . .)!

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...highlight=Conn
Well I think it's a direct response to Taylor's NT neck design - he even talked about not gluing the fretboard to the top - ala Taylor's NT. But this does improve on that with the scooped heel and length adjustment screw.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:13 AM

When CFM IV & Co. design the perfect guitar - not likely in the present era of kiln-dried woods and a "chicken-in-every-pot" market-saturation philosophy - I'll let you know...
Old 01-18-2020, 11:20 AM

Sounds like the Martin Builder's Edition...[emoji16]
Old 01-18-2020, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Old 01-18-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Well I think it's a direct response to Taylor's NT neck design - he even talked about not gluing the fretboard to the top - ala Taylor's NT. But this does improve on that with the scooped heel and length adjustment screw.
I was going for a "everything old is new again" vibe thing, but I agree with you that these are positive features. I like electric guitar in part because of the complete adjustability that's allowed, so this Martin acoustic model appeals to me (and I have 3 acoustic Taylors).

One thing I learned from the video is that Martin, on its "regular" models, deliberately creates a significant fallaway on the extension in order to accommodate neck movement due to weather changes. This amount of fallaway results in "higher felt action" and that, it seems to me, is why people seeking lower action on their Martins take the saddles down to nubs and then seek an early reset (or sell). It's a design thing, apparently. I've loved Martins' sound, but have previously balked because of that issue, so this new model bodes well, especially if they can carry the neck joint design over to their higher-end models.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:48 AM
Musical minimalist

Why are they on this kick of making so many guitar with 2 5/32 saddle spacing? Takes me out of the game right there.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
My spidey senses are already picking up incoming Luddites .....
Not here. As an avowed Martin fan and player, I look forward innovation and to playing one of these. I doubt however that I will think more of it than any other Martin. I'm always dubious of those seeking to greatly improve anything where there was no recognized need for improvement. The neck, heel & cutaway have all been done in one way or another, by everyone, and the vast majority of guitars still employ different building techniques.

My biggest concern is when anyone claims "It was designed from the ground up to be plugged in...". EVERY guitar can be plugged in. I want my guitars to built from the ground up for amazing tone, playability and quality. If this model guitar provides all of that - AND - amplifies well, it may be worthy of purchase. But, since I need and want for another great guitar, if/when I come into contact with one, or two or three, I will give it the once/twice over.

Additionally, I generally couldn't care less what a handful of trade-show "evaluators" think about any guitar until well after I've had it in my hands.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
My biggest concern is when anyone claims "It was designed from the ground up to be plugged in...". EVERY guitar can be plugged in. I want my guitars to built from the ground up for amazing tone, playability and quality.
Hearing you say that, I feel that Martin isn't aiming at you with this one. Without speaking for Martin, it's my belief that they'd point you towards their acoustic/electric Modern Deluxes for your needs. Those (again, MY opinion) are guitars built for amazing unplugged tone first and foremost- and they're wearing a really great pickup system. This SC-13E sounds like it's aimed at folks who want THE best plugged in acoustic experience - in terms of feel and feedback rejection.

My .02 and worth it.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

Last edited by MaurysMusic; 01-18-2020 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:43 PM

Possibly. But for a guitar (new or otherwise) to be successful it has to appeal to, and satisfy the needs of, many guitarists not a select few. Just like when Taylor unveils a new or different bracing pattern or shape, they rely on their stalwart supporters to continue to be interested in new products as they have with the older products. Otherwise the new product dies on the vine. I'm hopeful that the tonal characteristics and qualities will appeal to me and the many other Martin guitar players, who have purchased and supported Martin Guitars, as well as to those previously uninterested in or unfamiliar with Martin guitars. That's what makes for a successful new guitar design. Hyperbole aside, the proof is in the sales. Early and continued.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Possibly. But for a guitar (new or otherwise) to be successful it has to appeal to, and satisfy the needs of, many guitarists not a select few. Just like when Taylor unveils a new or different bracing pattern or shape, they rely on their stalwart supporters to continue to be interested in new products as they have with the older products. Otherwise the new product dies on the vine. I'm hopeful that the tonal characteristics and qualities will appeal to me and the many other Martin guitar players, who have purchased and supported Martin Guitars, as well as to those previously uninterested in or unfamiliar with Martin guitars. That's what makes for a successful new guitar design. Hyperbole aside, the proof is in the sales. Early and continued.
All good points. Luckily, to my ears this SC-13 has the Martin tone. It's not going to make you forget what you love about an HD-28, but it's not wimpy by any stretch.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion