The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2020, 01:57 PM

I would do it on the three OMs, for sure (if I owned your collection) just to see if I really needed three OMs! You may already know that you need each for special applications, but I would be putting the same strings on them to see if there is enough overlap to make one or two redundant. It still might be interesting even if you know you'll never part with any of them - you could use it as a baseline, then experiment with different strings to maximize the differences. I probably wouldn't bother with the slope or the 00 since I wouldn't want them to sound like the others anyway.

Let us know what you learn from this!
Old 01-17-2020, 04:23 PM

Well there has been some excellent advice here, thank you.
I have read all the replies in detail and will implement a few of the ideas offered.

Note: I also have about 15 electrics of all descriptions.
I keep flats on one for a particular sound.
I keep 11's on one for a particular sound.
Other than those two, they ALL get Curt Mangan 10-46 Nickels.
I would go crazy trying out different strings all the time in that realm.
It's just one thing that's consistent in a world of differences otherwise.

Although...
I can see the logic in not following the same recipe with acoustics.
So you have convinced me to not follow that path.
I would believe there IS something to taking the time to find some good matches between certain acoustics and a particular string set/gauge.

So...where to begin then?
Well, let's start at the beginning.
As I accrued them all recently, one by one, they all went to my luthier for their initial setups.
I'm 95% certain he used D'Addario EJ-11 12-53's on everything.
And I like 'that' sound, they all sound really good except the OO which still sounds really tight and glassy to me.
So let's plow through it then, I'm open to suggestions.

The OO - (Adi/RW), want something to enhance it's midrange.
It's pretty tight and glassy right now, certainly not the best 'blues box' around.

The E1SS (J-45 Adi/Sapele) - I want something to really 'bring' the bass and depth.
I'm thinking a .013 gauge wouldn't hurt right here.
It has a gorgeous shimmer to the high end already.
Want more depth, but don't want to lose the sweet glassy resonance it has.

The Baby Jumbo Duo (510/712)- All specs same except one is RW, one is Mahogany.
I would be open to more thump and bass from the Mahogany 510...
And more shimmer/glass from the RW 712.

The AH6OM - This is totally open to experimentation and suggestion.
If it wasn't so beautiful, and I didn't get it for a screaming good price, I'd might sell it, this is the 'unnecessary' guitar of the bunch.
Something a little out of the ordinary, like a set of .010's of some description.
Or really light top and heavy bottom thing...

OK, there's something to gnaw on!
Eastman 2012 AH6OM
Eastman 2016 HE-222GAC
Eastman 2018 E1SS Ltd
La Patrie Presentation
La Patrie Collection
Old 01-18-2020, 07:05 AM

You have several candidates for D'Addario nickel-bronze strings - I think they might tame glassy highs a bit and bring out the mid-range. If that doesn't help the glassiness on the 00, you might try monel strings (I forget what Martin calls them now). I wouldn't put .13s on anything you have, but you might try a set of bluegrass gauge on the D-45 style. I just bought a set of DR Veritas for my ss slope but haven't put them on yet, but I like DR Rares in bluegrass gauges, as well as John Pierce.

Something you might consider for the mahogany OM is some primo strings that boost everything. Pyramid and Santa Cruz are two that come to mind. I remember Pyramids as being very bright and taking a long time to lose that over-bright new sound, but when they did they sounded great. The rosewood OM might be a candidate for the nickel-bronze, and the maple OM (which is a real beauty - my favorite) needs to be your crossover guitar: string it like an electric with .11s for rock style bending, or conversely with heavier gauge for jazz or swing comping. That guitar could be the most fun to experiment with, though the whole experiment sounds like a blast!
Old 01-18-2020, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
…Is there Any good reason Not to use the Same Strings on All of them?
Hi Drak

No reason not to use the same strings on guitars for me. I do put different weights on them, but use the same brand for all my guitars. I'm not averse to using different brands, but buying in bulk is more economical.

As to recommendations, your usage, and needs will probably dictate that. I've been playing for over 55 years, and know how certain strings respond to my style of play. String experiments can be fun (and sometimes frustrating). It's interesting how advertisements differ with results.

When I was doing more recording, I bought bulk (25 sets in a box), D'Addario Light. I was changing strings in studio every 5-6 hours of play (for call backs and matching tone).

I use Elixirs on all my guitars these days (acoustic and electric). The only difference is I keep some 80/20 and Phosphor Bronze depending on what I'm doing.

Have fun figuring it out!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion