The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-07-2020, 12:01 PM

Default Radial Pro48 and Baggs LB6

As the title says, is this a good combo? Will the Pro48, being active, be impedance friendly and also give me enough signal to act like a preamp (say like a Radial PZ Pre?). Could I simply plug the guitar with the LB6 into the Pro48, and run an XLR from the Pro 48 to the (phantom powered) XLR in on my guitar amp and get a good sound? Or am I oversimplifying this?

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
As the title says, is this a good combo? Will the Pro48, being active, be impedance friendly and also give me enough signal to act like a preamp (say like a Radial PZ Pre?). Could I simply plug the guitar with the LB6 into the Pro48, and run an XLR from the Pro 48 to the (phantom powered) XLR in on my guitar amp and get a good sound? Or am I oversimplifying this?

Thanks!
Is the LB6 active? If it's an active LB6, that'll probably work ok. If it's a passive LB6, it'll work but it'll sound warmer if if runs through a preamp with a 10mohm input. The PZ Pre, PZ Deluxe, and PZ DI will all work with it and so will any Baggs preamp.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-07-2020, 12:11 PM

The LB6 is passive. Ok, that is helpful, thank you!
Old 01-07-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Will the Pro48, being active, be impedance friendly and also give me enough signal to act like a preamp (say like a Radial PZ Pre?)
DI boxes typically do not provide gain. They often provide a pad (gain reduction).

If you need gain, you need a preamp.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 01-07-2020, 01:27 PM

Thanks, I was thinking about this the wrong way. I've actually tried (and sold) the Radial PZ Pre and the Red Eye. I liked them both very much, but like many of us, was just curious to what all was out there. There was no great hurry to get this particular guitar with the passive pickup (my only one) ready to gig, etc.., as I use other gear for that.

I think I am going to pickup another Red Eye and call it good.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I was thinking about this the wrong way. I've actually tried (and sold) the Radial PZ Pre and the Red Eye. I liked them both very much, but like many of us, was just curious to what all was out there. There was no great hurry to get this particular guitar with the passive pickup (my only one) ready to gig, etc.., as I use other gear for that.

I think I am going to pickup another Red Eye and call it good.
Gordon is mistaken regarding the PRO48 though: it is active and does provide gain as all active DIs do. However, it doesn't have adjustable gain and isn't quite in the same league as a true "preamp" despite having gain. The Red Eye is a good unit but you will likely be happier with something w/a 10mohm input impedance. For a passive LB6, it's natural best friend is the Baggs Para, which takes phantom power and imparts a nice warmth to the tone.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 01-07-2020, 01:52 PM

I thought the Red Eye, or Bright Eye was a good match with the passive LB6, based on the impedance offered. I haven't pushed the buy button yet, now you have me thinking of the Para for sure.
I had one once, but was using it with active pickups and couldn't hear much difference. I assume the Para was built with the LB6 in mind as a match...
Thanks for this perspective...
P.S. this is for a nylon string guitar...and for finger style usage...
Old 01-07-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I thought the Red Eye, or Bright Eye was a good match with the passive LB6, based on the impedance offered. I haven't pushed the buy button yet, now you have me thinking of the Para for sure.
I had one once, but was using it with active pickups and couldn't hear much difference. I assume the Para was built with the LB6 in mind as a match...
Thanks for this perspective...
P.S. this is for a nylon string guitar...and for finger style usage...
The Red Eye is great but seems intended to partner w/SBTs like the K&K. The LB6 likes a higher impedance, tho some would argue (not incorrectly) that it's not a huge difference. Yet there does seem to be some anecdotal evidence that a passive UST benefits from the frequency headroom and EQ provided by the PADI. You're correct that the Para was made to pair w/the LB6 and it complements it better than any of the other Baggs pickups.

Also, I find Nylon strings always seem to take well to USTs and the LB6 especially.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 01-07-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
Gordon is mistaken regarding the PRO48 though: it is active and does provide gain as all active DIs do
I just emailed Radial tech support and not only does the Pro48 NOT have gain, it ATTENUATES an instrument level signal down to microphone level. Erik is incorrect here (unless you count negative gain as gain).

It helps to check out actual product specs before offering an OPINION. There are no gain specs mentioned:
https://www.radialeng.com/product/pro48/specifications

The ONLY thing you know about an active DI is that it requires power. In the case of Radial Pro48, it is NOT done to add gain. It is done to increase headroom.

Once a DI adds gain, it ceases to be a conventional DI (that interfaces an instrument level signal with a microphone level input) and becomes more of a preamp.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

Last edited by Gordon Currie; 01-07-2020 at 03:30 PM. Reason: swapped instrument for line
Old 01-07-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
I just emailed Radial tech support and not only does the Pro48 NOT have gain, it ATTENUATES an instrument level signal down to microphone level. Erik is incorrect here (unless you count negative gain as gain).

It helps to check out actual product specs before offering an OPINION. There are no gain specs mentioned:
https://www.radialeng.com/product/pro48/specifications

The ONLY thing you know about an active DI is that it requires power. In the case of Radial Pro48, it is NOT done to add gain. It is done to increase headroom.

Once a DI adds gain, it ceases to be a conventional DI (that interfaces an instrument level signal with a microphone level input) and becomes more of a preamp.

Ok, Gordon. Geez.

I watched a video about the active and passive DIs that Radial makes and I coulda sworn they said that active DIs amplify the signal but I am apparently mistaken.

Regardless, I wouldn’t run a LB6 into a PRO48 alone.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 01-07-2020, 04:46 PM

Sorry to open a can of worms guys, but I do find all this information very helpful. So thanks to everyone. I'm going to look hard at the PADI now.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:38 PM

My usual glacial approach. Still haven't moved on this preamp for an LB6 with nylon. Was hoping to spend in the 100.00 range (used is fine). Thanks for any other input!
Old 01-24-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
Ok, Gordon. Geez.

I watched a video about the active and passive DIs that Radial makes and I coulda sworn they said that active DIs amplify the signal but I am apparently mistaken.

Regardless, I wouldn’t run a LB6 into a PRO48 alone.

Radial Pro48 Features:
High-resolution Compact Active Direct Box with 48v Phantom power.
Increased dynamic range and headroom.
Compact, rugged book-end design with 14-gauge steel welded I-beam construction.
Ideal for low-output, passive guitars and basses.
-15dB Pad accommodates high-output sources.

Pro48 Specifications
Specifications
Block Diagram
Graphs
Specifications
Audio circuit type: Proprietary analog circuit with low-noise op-amp
Frequency response: 20Hz ~ 20kHz (± 1.5 dB
Dynamic range: 99dB
Total harmonic distortion: 0.001% @ 0 dBu
Intermodulation Distortion: 0.002% @ 0 dBu
Phase Deviation: +28º at 20Hz | +1º at 1kHz | -2º at 20kHz
Input Impedance: 220kΩ - ¼" input
Output Impedance: 600Ω - XLR output
Equivalent Input Noise: -86dBu
Noise: -82dB below 0dBu
Maximum Input: +9dBu

If you're running to a mic input, I suspect you'd get plenty of signal (from the PRO48/LB6 combo) to work with at the mixer. Its supposedly "ideal" for low output passive sources, with the -15db pad included to accommodate hot active sources. I can't imagine, however, the the PRO48's 220Kohm input impedance would get a very full tone from the LB6. Why experiment when we know that the PADI is designed with the LB6 in mind?
Old 01-24-2020, 08:51 PM

Thanks, agreed, the PADI is a perfect match, and they are out there used close to my budget range. I may go this way. I am looking for an old school sound... as it is.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification