The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-04-2019, 03:58 PM

While it is a nice guitar and fun to play and some folks really like it the one question I would ask you before you bought one is how many people do you see performing live with one. Yeah I know, I have to put a disclaimer in here now because someone will say "this great player by me uses one all the time". Okay I get it. I have never seen one.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:26 PM

I bought one with the pickup installed. Plugged in it's plenty loud and doesn't seem to have a propensity for feeding back. I don't play live anymore so I don't have much concern.
~Bob
Old 12-04-2019, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

I have a 2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa with the real ES2 (full-size preamp) that sounds really good both acoustically and plugged-in. One thing I have to do, and others probably do too, is to try to keep my forearm off the top as that can give you a volume-pedal/wah-wah-pedal effect that sounds weird as the top is very responsive to any pressure; the addition of a stick-on John Pearse SlimLine armrest would help give more consistent tone.

Given my druthers, I recommend the Martin Dreadnought Junior, which I also have, it's the 2016 older, fuller-size version compared to the new model. Compared to my Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, I find the Martin D Junior feels better to hold and play for me, and the top has less of the aforementioned volume-pedal/wah-wah-pedal effect due to forearm pressure.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-04-2019, 07:06 PM

I will go against the grain and say to look at other 0, 00 & OM sized guitars before buying anything.

The super short scale and narrow, thin neck doesn't work for everyone. It doesn't matter how good it sounds if its hard to play.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 12-04-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbramsey View Post
Hi,
Would a GS Mini be a good guitar for everyday playing? I am still in the learning stage, but I am looking for a smaller body guitar for strumming, picking and fingerpicking. The Mini is about at my money limit, and I see a lot of good things about them on the forums here.
Thanks,
David
I returned to playing guitar with a new GSMini spruce and I honestly can’t think of anything to match it for high price & terribly thin sound - mine was probably a dud, but for a fraction of the price, a Seagull or Yamaha will blow it so far out of the water for price to performance it’s not even funny. Just my 2cents.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:08 PM

I own both the GS Mini and the Martin Dreadnought Junior. Both guitars has its pros and cons.

I like the shape of the GS Mini and the nut width (1-11/16”) more than the DJ. Yes, I have small hands.

I like the tone of the DJ (being all solid wood). Most people prefer its wider nut width (1-3/4”).

About a year ago, I started a thread & poll comparing these 2 guitars and the DJ was the more popular guitar. Below is the link if you’re interested to find out more.

Enjoy your new hobby (guitar), whichever guitar (brand) you decide on.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=530075
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 12-04-2019, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

I know everyone loves the mini but the neck is definitely a bit cramped for my tastes.

Definitely check out the new Martin 000-jr before deciding. It gives you the best of both worlds and it is all solid wood. Even comes in a cutaway and pickup for $100 more and you are still under the price of most of the minis
Old 12-05-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I returned to playing guitar with a new GSMini spruce and I honestly can’t think of anything to match it for high price & terribly thin sound - mine was probably a dud, but for a fraction of the price, a Seagull or Yamaha will blow it so far out of the water for price to performance it’s not even funny. Just my 2cents.
Thank you!!!!
Old 12-05-2019, 06:00 AM

I play my mini far more than any other guitar I own. It's the perfect size to play in any position (stand, sit, couch, recline in chair, chihuahua in lap--it works everywhere), sounds great, and has excellent playability.

Another good choice is the Yamaha CSF models.

The Martin Jr. is also frequently recommended. It sounds and plays fine, but I find it to be significantly larger than a GS mini, and thus considerably less versatile. Also, the solid wood construction would likely be more affected by environmental variables, and you would probably want to keep it in a case. I leave my mini out all the time right where I can quickly grab it and play.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

The short answer is yes!

I've owned the mahogany and koa version. Both absolutely awesome, fun guitars to play. There are a lot of options, though. All within your price range. If the Taylor sound is what you're after, the Big Baby and new Academy series are slightly larger and great options. If you like the Martin sound, the older Dread Jr is the way to go.

Good luck and play on
Old 12-05-2019, 06:47 AM

I love my GS Mini and play it more than any of my other guitars. It is just so comfortable and easy to play while relaxing on a couch. The sound is great although not what I play when I really want the sound to take over. My only regret is I didn't buy one sooner.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:47 AM

I love mine. It was my only guitar for 2 years. When my financial situation changed greatly and I could afford an expensive full-sized dreadnought a bought one, but I'm still definitely keeping the GS mini - it is better for fingerstyle, still enjoyable to strum (though not as good as my dreadnought obviously), and is super portable. They are great guitars.

It is also extremely comfortable to play, being small and quite short scale, without ever feeling cramped or too small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
I'm going to chime in with an opinion that runs contrary to what's been said already. I've had the GS Mini ever since it first came out, and it's been my travel and camping guitar ever since. Except I've noticed I play it less and less as time goes by, and that's because it becomes more and more difficult to play the more I get used to playing my daily go-to guitars, which have a long scale, higher string tension and a wider nut. Because I flatpick on a full-size Martin dreadnaught most of the time, the Mini's shorter fret span and lower string tension totally messes me up.

If you plan on playing your Mini exclusively, yes, it's a great guitar and can hold its own, but if you plan on using it alongside "regular-sized" guitars, you may experience the same phenomenon. You'll get so used to one or the other that you may find it very difficult to switch back and forth.
I know exactly what you're talking about -- I did find this to be true when I briefly owned a 25.5" scale length dreadnought - going from that to the GS mini felt VERY odd and the GS mini felt like a toy.

I don't find the same thing going from the 24.75" hummingbird to the mini. They're a bit different, but not to a mess-with-your-head extent like I found going from 25.5" to 23.5", so it depends what you pair it with.

Last edited by RalphH; 12-05-2019 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbramsey View Post
Would a GS Mini be a good guitar for everyday playing?
A definite yes! My favorite is the Mahogany top... sweet little guitar.

One of the best blues players we've ever had on the AGF, "williejohnson," played a lot on his GS Mini. Here's a Soundcloud of Willie playing, "Mercury Blues." Who wouldn't be happy sounding like that?

Here's the AGF thread that clip came from. Willie could make that Mini sing.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:28 AM

Having owned a few GS Minis over the past few years, I am comfortable in saying "yes, it can be a daily driver" instrument. They're solid, beautiful, sound great, and travel exceptionally well.

That said, I prefer the slightly longer scale length, overall tone, and wider nut width of my Dreadnought Jr. The bigger footprint makes it a bit less travel-friendly...but that was a sacrifice I was willing to make, for the benefits it brings to the table.

You can't go wrong with either one, in my opinion.
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830
Old 12-05-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
While it is a nice guitar and fun to play and some folks really like it the one question I would ask you before you bought one is how many people do you see performing live with one. Yeah I know, I have to put a disclaimer in here now because someone will say "this great player by me uses one all the time". Okay I get it. I have never seen one.
I usually gig with my 214ce-k dlx but I have used the mini as a backup and when I just want a change of pace. I have an 2016 koa mini one with the ES-2.

My buddy asked me to play his wedding in Cancun. Rather than fly with my 214, I just threw the GS mini in the overhead. Plugged in at the resort and it sounded great. All I've found is that I have to increase the volume settings just a touch to get where I am with my 214. No big deal.

Great guitar to gig with if you don't mind the smaller size.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion