The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
Yep, in the grand scheme of things , these two videos seem to be the same quality wise. If anything I felt the second clip was more well mixed, and that’s probably nothing to do with the recorder.
Since I never used a Zoom or any portable recording device I will just make a general observations.

First and foremost one needs to really and objectively try to evaluate current and also possible future goals. Because what one is actually trying accomplish will have some effect on equipment choice.

I you are definitely considering mobile location recording and a simple one device solutio then one the Zooms appears to be a great option

If you are actually considering a home recording situation then consider that sometimes in effort to simplify we and unintentionally create more complexity

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-11-2019, 09:46 AM

Has there been any mentions from zoom about possible new h5,h6 models coming out? I really want to get one but am hesitant because I have a feeling new models are going to be dropped within the next year 2020 or possibly 2021
Old 10-11-2019, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
S
First and foremost one needs to really and objectively try to evaluate current and also possible future goals. Because what one is actually trying accomplish will have some effect on equipment choice.
Good advice! One thing I like about the Zoom's is that they sort of facilitate a relatively cost-effect path for people who want to get started recording. For way less money and way less learning curve, you can have everything you really need (on the capture side, at least) all in one box, with nearly 1-button, almost foolproof operation. If you can't get a decent recording with one, you have other issues, which you can focus on working out instead of worry about USB and thunderbolt and drives and software, etc.

But as you progress, it's easy to add external mics, and now you can start learning about mic placement. When you're ready to dive into DAWs, multi-track and overdubbing, you can use the Zoom as a computer interface. Once that's all under control, if you want a "better" setup and are ready to invest more money, you can get a dedicated computer interface.

But even at that point, most people will still have a use for the Zoom, throw it in your case for traveling, use it for practice sessions or recording the gig or jam, use it when you want to record in a different location. So it shouldn't be a throw-away, unlike starting out with cheap mics and a cheap interface, only to upgrade later and have to try to sell the old stuff for a fraction of what you paid.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:06 PM

Default Zoom H5 vs RME

Another reason for these kinds of minimal setup would be the ability to record spontaneously, if you find a good room, or in a hotel room when the inspiration strikes. We can always do post processing later.

With the audio interface to computer method I’m sort of chained to where my computer is. It’s just too much hassle to shift the location of the setup.

Last edited by lppier; 10-11-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Another reason for these kinds of minimal setup would be the ability to record spontaneously, if you find a good room, or in a hotel room when the inspiration strikes. We can always do post processing later.

With the audio interface to computer method I’m sort of chained to where my computer is. It’s just too much hassle to shift the location of the setup.
These two reasons were why I got my H5 some years ago, after starting out with an interface and direct recording to a computer.

I like the split workflow. I can concentrate on thinking about the music and playing, then separately work on the post processing. This sequential approach simplifies things for me.

I understood that the H5 and H6 have the same quality electronics (along with the H4n pro) so I didn’t see benefit in choosing the H6, but since then I have 2 pairs of external mics so would now ideally like 4 inputs, to allow selection after recording. I also found the mic module of the H5 with shock mount quite delicate compared with the more robust H6 module, that also have 2 angle settings for XY.. Not sure if the capsules are the same.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 10-15-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Hi Fran, I listed to your comparisons on YouTube between the two - frankly I can hardly tell any difference with the condenser mic one. With the ribbon mic, yes, the noise floor was different.

Curious about true x-y mics that the h6 comes with - would you consider using it to record acoustic guitar for your pieces? How far is it from other mics you have?
There are some posts that compare the H6 XY module to various external mics like the Rode NT4. I've noticed that the H6 mics roll off the bottom a bit more than the NT4. I've definitely used the XY pair for many of my videos. In fact I have a YouTube playlist of those videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJN9...B_F3v1nnFucsWk

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 10-15-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:

This is certainly how the H6 has worked for me. It's just so darned convenient to stick the H6 in a reasonable location, set the level to 7, and hit record. That's all I did on this one even though I was in the studio.

The "good" gear was all around me but the H6 was just so darned easy ...

I will say that I'm right on the verge of ordering up the new F6. It's a little pricey but I've lost a few cuts to overs and it will be liberating to forget about tweaking levels. The tradeoff is the extra complication of hauling and setting up external mics. I can imagine that Zoom might add the dual adc/32 bit capability to something like the H6 but that will be a couple of years out and might be a bit more expensive than the current version.

Fran
Old 10-15-2019, 10:36 PM

Default Zoom H5 vs RME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
The "good" gear was all around me but the H6 was just so darned easy ...

I will say that I'm right on the verge of ordering up the new F6. It's a little pricey but I've lost a few cuts to overs and it will be liberating to forget about tweaking levels. The tradeoff is the extra complication of hauling and setting up external mics. I can imagine that Zoom might add the dual adc/32 bit capability to something like the H6 but that will be a couple of years out and might be a bit more expensive than the current version.

Fran

Sounds great Fran - just wondering why you are looking at the F6? Is it just the freedom of not needing to tweak the levels?

Btw, I saw the F6 in the shop- it’s a cute little thing!

Last edited by lppier; 10-16-2019 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Sounds great Fran - just wondering why you are looking at the F6? Is it just the freedom of not needing to tweak the levels?

Btw, I saw the F6 in the shop- it’s a cute little thing!
I find myself in a couple of situations that make setting levels tricky.

I shoot video of hula shows for two different groups and there is simply no way to get a valid level before the event and the audio recorder is connected to the house PA and some distance from my location with the cameras. I've had to fall back on camera audio a couple of times and it's not a great choice quality wise.

When I'm shooting my slack key videos I'm the director, camera op, lighting tech, and sound department as well as talent. And my duet partner is stuck waiting while I run around between two or three cameras and the audio recorder. There have been plenty of times when I had to massage a marginal recording because the level is too low or badly clipped - it doesn't take much clipping to make a UST sound _really_ nasty.

Where did you find F6 in a local shop?

Fran
Old 10-16-2019, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

The no-fixed-point-clipping is really the main, and almost only (IMO), reason to consider the F6, and maybe if you're balancing the H6, the fact that you have 6 equal mic pres, all phantom capable, but you do give up the quasi built-in mic use case of the de/a-ttachable microphone capsules of the H6.

You can still overdrive the preamps, so it's not going to help you if some clown cranks up the gain of the thing going into your F6.

I don't have the same situation as Fran, but it's the cameras I have to leave unattended, and the F8[n] limiters are adequate for the rare case where something happens that might clip, that I'd actually want to save. (In fact, I can't think of a time lately where I've had a clipping problem in the audio recordings on my F8/F8n.)
Old 10-16-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post

Where did you find F6 in a local shop?

Fran

I live in Singapore, there’s a shop called CityMusic which has these. It’s a cute square looking object, even smaller than the h6 in length.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD