The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-24-2019, 02:48 PM

Default Recording mics direct to iPad- Will this work?

I know one can record audio and video separately and sync and merge them in a video editor. But if I could get away with something simpler it I could avoid all the intermediate steps of synchronization. So I was thinking...

WHAT IF... I took one or two of my external mics (I have 2 AKG P170s', 1 AKG P420... and also a Shure SM58) plugged them into my M-Audio M-Track inteface, then took a stereo mini plug from the headphones out jack into the mini jack port of the iPad?

Would that have a possiblity of working to record audio from the external mics while recording video?

I recognize I need phantom power for the mics, but could plug the interface into another computer or a powered USB hub (which at this moment is connected to a computer- and could possibly simultaneously record audio separately.

Would that work?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-24-2019, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I know one can record audio and video separately and sync and merge them in a video editor. But if I could get away with something simpler it I could avoid all the intermediate steps of synchronization. So I was thinking...

WHAT IF... I took one or two of my external mics (I have 2 AKG P170s', 1 AKG P420... and also a Shure SM58) plugged them into my M-Audio M-Track inteface, then took a stereo mini plug from the headphones out jack into the mini jack port of the iPad?

Would that have a possiblity of working to record audio from the external mics while recording video?

I recognize I need phantom power for the mics, but could plug the interface into another computer or a powered USB hub (which at this moment is connected to a computer- and could possibly simultaneously record audio separately.

Would that work?
I think The mini jack on the iPad is an output only (not an input) jack. So I don't think that will work

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-24-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I think The mini jack on the iPad is an output only (not an input) jack. So I don't think that will work
Correct. You need a USB-to-Lightning adapter and possibly some other dongles to get that to work.

TBH, syncing isn't that hard. Just video something with a sharp attack that has a visual element (that old fashioned clap-board had a purpose!); even hand claps will work. Then just look at the waveform in both the audio track from the video and the recorded audio and line them up in the editor.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Correct. You need a USB-to-Lightning adapter and possibly some other dongles to get that to work.

TBH, syncing isn't that hard. Just video something with a sharp attack that has a visual element (that old fashioned clap-board had a purpose!); even hand claps will work. Then just look at the waveform in both the audio track from the video and the recorded audio and line them up in the editor.
Yep... I tried my plan out and no joy. It just picked up the internal mic. But what about the iphone?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-25-2019, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Yes doable as Chipotle mentioned (assuming it is a lightning port iPhone,,,or iPad with lightning port for that matter ) which is a two way port. So with a USB to Lighting adaptor and a male to male USB cable you can

But more info would be helpful what So it sounds like you are trying to get the audio from the M Audio interface into the iPad/iPhone, correct? But what recording are software on the iPad/iPhone are you thinking of using that will it record audio and video at the same time ? The question becomes are you simply replacing one situations complexity, with another that may be just as complicated ?

Because if you already have these mics and the M-Audio interface already set up with your computer (what kind) and what audio DAW software are you currently using ? And is you computer a Mac or PC
As Chipotle also mentioned syncing audio and video is not really that hard
I simply do verbal 4 beat count in and tap my guitar pick on the guitar body at count 1. That creates a very pronounced spike in the waveform in the audio on both the DAW recording and the audio on for example the iPhone video recording as well, that can be easily manually lined up in the video editor or (depending on the video editor) even automatically

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-25-2019, 07:32 AM

Plenty of hi fidelity options to record to your iPad. Go here: https://www.sweetwater.com/shop/studio-recording/ios/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD