The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-02-2010, 05:03 PM

Default Roland AC33 vs Ac60

Hi guys
Just wondering if anyone has tried both and how much difference in volume there is between the two... I know the AC33 is 30 watts and the AC60 is 60... but has anyone worked with both and how does it relate to live situations?

I used an AC60 tonight on a gig and it sounded great and had lots of room for more but it'd be great to have that kind of punch and battery powered option too.. is the 33 what I'm looking for?

Thanks

Dave

www.myspace.com/davidphilips
Old 02-02-2010, 05:44 PM

Hey Dave,

Just listening to your MySpace. I really like your sound. Music and voice. Do you have a downloadable version of those tunes?

Would love to hear what you think of the AC33 if you ever get one.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:51 PM

Yes, Dave is pretty darn good on there.

I just called my local GC and they don't have the new Rolands yet...I want to check out the BA-330 for keys and guitar.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-02-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Yes, Dave is pretty darn good on there.

I just called my local GC and they don't have the new Rolands yet...I want to check out the BA-330 for keys and guitar.
I wish I was in the position to check out all this great gear. Just read your interesting post on the "other" site. Wow!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:50 AM

Hi guys
Thanks for the compliments.
The songs on the myspace are demo versions of songs from my forthcoming solo album. It should be available in May. If you want, you can add me on myspace or facebook or subscribe to my videos on youtube and I'll announce when the album is finally available.

Here's the youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidphilipsmusic

In terms of the amps.. The AC60 was great but I'm worried the AC33 will be a little weak in some situations. I need to try one.

Thanks guys
D
Old 02-03-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidphilips View Post
Hi guys
The AC60 was great but I'm worried the AC33 will be a little weak in some situations. I need to try one.
D
I'm sure this is true, but remember, technology has much improved in the past couple of years, so spl is probably a better indicator of raw power rather than wattage.

But I find the AC-33 to have surprising volume for its size - however, the main factor that impresses me (so far) is the quality of sound. I still don't know for sure if it "colors" the sound, but whatever it does, I really like it.........

(I'm interested in the comparison between the AC-60 - when I tried it, I think I may have been using my former pickup/preamp. At the time I wasn't impressed, but I probably should go back and test it again with my current system... But it is not battery powered, and I have a SoloAmp, so in those venues where I would need the extra power/dispersion, I think I'm covered..)
Old 02-03-2010, 12:02 PM

Thanks Buleria,

The AC60 sounded great to me... it's always good to have gear for every occasion. If I had a car I'd buy a small P.A. and be done with it... but I go to my inne city gigs on foot, so I need something light.
The AER compact 60, although not being battery powered, would be my 1st choice but they are **** expensive!
Old 11-26-2017, 12:36 AM

I use a Roland AC33 with a TC Helicon VoiceLive Play GTX for busking, small restaurant and lounge gigs. I play solo, and use my own loops and backing tracks sometimes. The volume is plenty for small venues and the sound quality is as good, or maybe a bit better than Bose systems. It weighs almost nothing. I have been very happy with it. And the battery option is a definite plus. I had power go out during a gig twice, and was able to keep playing, The venue was impressed enough that I am still playing there over 1 year later...

Heck, I even play it outside. Check out my video of busking on the Walnut St. Bridge in Chattanooga, Tn. The sound has not been enhanced or altered in any way. https://youtu.be/7BZ4FlmOODE

I am thinking of ditching my 800-watt PA and getting an AC60, or maybe even the AC 90, for when I need a little more umph on larger gigs. It's a lot more convienint than lugging a PA around, and sounds better.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:55 AM

Sorry to the OP as although I have and use a Roland ac60 and am very impressed I haven't tried the battery operated smaller brother. But I had to post to say to Gigmaster, you have made my day posting that video I live in Turkey but visited that exact location nearly ten years ago and saw that very dog statue before walking the bridge. I have just read that and it sounds a bit pathetic but so what Chattanooga rocks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification