The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-22-2017, 04:28 PM

Default What's the best value acoustic amplifier these days?

I have a Taylor with built in electronics and I'm thinking of playing it with an amplifier and a looper so that I can play over top of chord progressions I come up with. What's the best value amplifier going these days?
Old 11-22-2017, 05:24 PM

What's your budget?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-22-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
What's your budget?
About $500, I would be willing to spend a little more if it's really worth it.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Best value is used. Carvin was the best value with new amps in your price range but they have since recently gone under much to many folks chagrin.

Down in that price range something like the Fishman Loudbox series (Mini or Artist) would work well. If you're looking for something that works with batteries for playing away from power the Roland AC-33 has a built in looper although you do have to purchase the cord and foot pedal separately.

Those are the few I have experience with. There are likely other candidates that I'm sure others will chime in on.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:14 PM

The Ultrasound/Dean Markley amplifiers used to get a bit of love around here.
It would seem that they are only available used though.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:31 PM

Yes a used Ultrasound!
Old 11-25-2017, 07:44 AM

If your willing to spend a bit more for used.
I saw this on eBay. I have nothing to gain from this .. I love my aer. ..Look for them
Used on reverb as well..

https://m.ebay.com/itm/AER-Compact-6...0AAOSw-09aGP~W
Old 11-25-2017, 08:32 AM

Fishman Loudbox Mini or Artist...either one.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-25-2017, 08:48 AM

I don't understand why people recommend used and discontinued company amps. Fishman, Marshall, and Fender makes great sounding amps in your price range and all sound good, but go with the top of your price range. Fishman loudbox mini and Artist are excellent. Marshall as50d is great too.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
...snip... Fishman, Marshall, and Fender makes great sounding amps in your price range and all sound good, but go with the top of your price range. ...snip...
I recently played one of the new Fender Acoustic amps at my local Guitar Center, and I was very impressed by it. Simple, basic controls, classy looks, and it sounded great. Oh, and the onboard effects are quite nice. If I had to replace my Carvin I'd give the Fender serious consideration.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

Last edited by Ed-in-Ohio; 11-25-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:17 AM

Used SWR Strawberry Blonde is pretty good. I have one but it's getting too heavy to gig with. I'm using my Fender Acoustasonic 150 for gigs these days. Amazing tone for a solid state amp. Onboard effects cover the essentials well. And the added plus is it works for electric and acoustic and has a separate channel for a mic.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 11-25-2017, 12:16 PM

It's usually easy to find a Fishman Loudbox mini with the "singer/songwriter" package which includes a mic, mic stand, and mic cable for the same price as just the amp. Sweetwater has a similar deal on the Loudbox artist, which isn't a deal I see as often.

I don't know if those are the absolute best acoustic amps out there, but they offer a really nice combination of price, sound quality, versatility, and weight.

The Artist (which I have) has a couple of nice built-in effects, and plenty of power. (I'm not worried about keeping up with a drummer with it). My pickup is a UST, so I don't have the most natural-sounding setup ever, but I'm very happy with my amp overall.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
I recently played one of the new Fender Acoustic amps at my local Guitar Center, and I was very impressed by it. Simple, basic controls, classy looks, and it sounded great. Oh, and the onboard effects are quite nice. If I had to replace my Carvin I'd give the Fender serious consideration.
After having had among the best amps on the market (schertlers, fishman, rivera, AER, etc), I needed an amp for home gigs and went for a Fender Acoustic 100. It’s seriously a good amp, sounds great, has enough headroom for small gigs, good effects, DI out, phantom, 2 channels, bluetooth, USB interface for direct PC recording.. plus, looks great in its slick design and wooden chassis. Highly recommended for amateurs like me.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
I don't understand why people recommend used and discontinued company amps. Fishman, Marshall, and Fender makes great sounding amps in your price range and all sound good, but go with the top of your price range. Fishman loudbox mini and Artist are excellent. Marshall as50d is great too.
For me personally, I don't understand why people buy new anymore. Not only are you saving a ton of money when you buy used, but you are also getting a better product in the end. You also can sell it again and not lose out on the deal. I would much rather buy a Fender custom shop guitar for $2500 in mint condition then go and buy it for $4000 just because it's new.

As for discontinued amps.. there are a lot of greats models out there that are no longer being made but sound incredible. Yes you lose out on warranty etc., but if anything goes wrong, most amp techs can fix the issue.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villamarzia View Post
After having had among the best amps on the market (schertlers, fishman, rivera, AER, etc), I needed an amp for home gigs and went for a Fender Acoustic 100.

It’s seriously a good amp, sounds great, has enough headroom for small gigs, good effects, DI out, phantom, 2 channels, bluetooth, USB interface for direct PC recording.. plus, looks great in its slick design and wooden chassis. Highly recommended for amateurs like me.
I was going to recommend the Fender as well...
It got a nice array of features and great sound..
at $399 it's a terrific value!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification